Not impressed with rude SA!!!

snowflake

O.G.
Dec 12, 2006
I went into a boutique yesterday to check out the new floor set, specifically, the Bonnie zipper wristlet. There weren't any customers in the store and normally I would hesitate before entering because I don't like being the only customer in the store. Weird but it's just me.

The Bonnie wristlets were standing upright on a shelf with a small bit of clear plexi-glass holding them in place. They were larger than expected and probably top heavy because of the 3 zippers. So I take one down and examine it, zip and unzip it, hang it on my wrist, etc. I put it back on the shelf, being careful to set it behind the plexi-glass and moved on. A second later, two of the wristlets tumbled over on the floor and caught the attention of the 3 SAs who were standing around chatting to each other. As I bent down to pick them up, I heard the male SA say in a sing song voice, "You break it, you bought it.", followed by giggling!!! He probably thought I couldn't hear him but I could, clear as a bell! The wristlets fell over by themselves and his comment just made me feel so mortified!

There were other things in the store I wanted to see but I wasn't in the mood to browse anymore so I left without buying anything. I can't believe how rude and immature this guy was. He may have thought he was being funny and witty but doesn't he know that making a joke at a customer's expense is inappropriate?! It just makes me so annoyed and I just NEVER want to set foot inside that store again.

Thanks for reading my rant!

I would have considered it a joke and easing the situation. Everyone knows what happened! I think it would have been more uncomfortable if no one said anything at all! JMO

Yeah that would drive me nuts too, but he was probably in his own way trying too put you at ease by making a joke with you

I agree; it sounds like he was being silly, not cruel. It may not have been the best choice of reactions, but he could have been teasing to lighten the situation. In customer service, that may not be the best thing to say to people whose reactions you can't predict, but that is more careless than rude. I'm sorry you felt embarrassed, but I'm sure you and he both knew there was no risk of "breaking" the wristlet, and therefore no real criticism. Unfortunately, it's hard to respond to a situation like that without anyone feeling a little flustered or embarrassed. I'd be glad he gave me the opportunity to laugh at myself, instead of just apologizing frantically!

Sounds like he was going for a laugh. However, since you were the only one in there, it wasn't very nice especially if they didn't greet you or come talk to you. While I don't like being followed from display to display I don't mind chatting with an SA about the different lines.

Sounds like he was going for a laugh. However, since you were the only one in there, it wasn't very nice especially if they didn't greet you or come talk to you. While I don't like being followed from display to display I don't mind chatting with an SA about the different lines.

Completely agree! I might have felt odd too had that been the first thing the SA said to me since entering the store! lol

Yeah that would drive me nuts too, but he was probably in his own way trying too put you at ease by making a joke with you

That's what I would have thought. I'm always so embarrassed when I put something back and the entire display comes tumbling down! I'd rather have someone joking around to put me at ease than someone who rolls their eyes and get all pissy about stuff falling down

The correct thing for the SA to do would have been to come over and help pick them up. I have worked in retail and when a customer knocked something over, I never stood there and watched them pick it up. I went over to help. The remark in itself was not rude, maybe just a bit too familiar for not knowing you. What was bad was that none of the SA's came over to help.

ya know, maybe he was trying to make a joke, but it can still come off as rude. it really depends on how he sounded when he said it, and obviously, we weren't there to hear it. i don't blame you for being offended. but im an a$$hole and would've said something to him about it. :smile:

I had a similar thing happen--except they were Large and XL Zoes on the top shelf!!! :Push::weird:

The SA guy there was more look, "Ooh!" and ran to reset the display. I was mortified and apologized but I noticed that the display was a bit wobbly anyway (because he tried a few times to make sure the stuff didn't topple again and a few times he reset them they did try to tip over again) and that was just like a domino effect waiting to happen.

I think it's partly the wonky displays they have and from hereon, I try to be super careful when I touch something.

I am sure this happens over and over again before and I won't touch the top shelves anymore either.

Don't feel too badly. It has happened to me too--with L and XL Zoes! :lol:

BTW, I did get a Black leather XL Zoe and a medium sized denim siggy Zoe too. So, the experience didn't minimize my love for Zoes in the very least! :biggrin:

Last edited:
The correct thing for the SA to do would have been to come over and help pick them up. I have worked in retail and when a customer knocked something over, I never stood there and watched them pick it up. I went over to help. The remark in itself was not rude, maybe just a bit too familiar for not knowing you. What was bad was that none of the SA's came over to help.

I agree :yes: I work in retail as well and that is something one is expected to do if a customer accidentally knocks stuff over (which happens quite often at my workplace). He should have anticipated that happening and picked the wristlets up before you did.

On the other hand, I too think that he was just joking around in order to make himself seem friendlier? I joke around with my customers, specially those who seem shy :P they just smile or joke right back. I have had my now regular SA joke around with me like that and I just shoot right back at him and we have a good laugh, nothing else. Then again, one should consider that your sense of humor may not be at the same degree as his or anyone else's :okay:

All in all, sorry to hear that his joke made you feel uncomfortable.

Yeah, I agree that he should have come over to help...sounds as though he was trying to be funny, but he could have said something to the effect of oh don't worry about it... Sorry...I've noticed that the SA in my boutique are not near as helpful and friendly as the ones in my outlet....