Not good enough to buy a pre-owned Lexus

Nuts25

O.G.
Nov 16, 2006
I wanted to buy a pre-owned Lexus at our local dealership today.
After some negotiation I've asked sales person to talk to the manager, in good believe that manager has more flexibility in price reduction.

The manager stormed into the room and practically yelled at me...
His message was loud andclear : they only sell cars to successful people, and if I'm trying to get some discount (because of the almost bold tiers), I'm probably not one of these lucky people.

He didn't let me say a word in my defence. For all my attempts I was getting "no buts" and "no ifs". I wasn't allowed to speak a word since "I've already wasted too much of their time". I felt that I wasn't welcomed there anymore.

I left the building and burst into tears right at their lot.

I know it was childish for my part, but It was a very first time I felt as a second rate person in my life. Nobody ever talked to me that way.

Maybe my heavy accent was unbearable for him. Maybe he doesn't like foreigners in general. Or for any other reason, he felt OK to behave in such way.

I strongly belive, his personal dislikes cannot be an excuse for being so rude to his customers...

I'm so upset right now. :sad:

A Lexus falls into the category of "If you have to ask the price, you probably can't afford it". You may have made them mad by asking for a lower price, then insisting on speaking to a manager for an even lower price. That's just not how it's done anymore. Dealers are working on razor thin margins and there really isn't room to come down very much, even on used cars. When they were making more on new cars, they could be more flexible on trade-ins and resales, but not now.

Also, it depends on how you're dressed and how you act. It shouldn't matter, but it does. They tend to take you more seriously if you're dressed professionally.

Really, the only thing that should matter is your ability to pay. Maybe you gave the impression you couldn't afford it.

I'd like to hear their side, but I'm they could have handled it better though.

That is horrific and so rude and unprofessional regardless of how you look or act. I know there's other dealerships who would gladly take your money. I am so sorry you went through this! I would have been horrified!

Doesn't matter what kind of car it is (unless we're talking Bentley or Ferrari), you should be able to haggle a bit, especially if it's used.

The guy sounds like a dumba$$. I'd go to another Lexus dealer or another luxury brand, find a good deal, then drive back and thank him for being an a$$, as you had a better experience at the other dealer and enjoyed letting them make a sale off of you. Them perhaps talk to his regional manager and explain how you were treated.

wow...i agree with charles. he is a salesman...his job is to sale that includes haggling. he is a rude jerk. don't let some douche that should be trying to help you make you feel bad about your self.

who knows he may have had a horrible day and was getting crapped on by the higher ups, it's no excuse though. i would be angry and writing his supervisor a 'nice' letter letting them know your experience and how you will never bring your money there and that you are letting all your friends know how you were treated.

That's ridiculous. I would've laughed in his face. As bad as this economy is right now, he should have made sure you didn't leave without one! People have not been out spending money on cars (until the recent cash for clunkers program). That moron should have rolled out the red carpet and kept his lips affixed to your rear end until the deal was sealed. What a fool. He's probably delirious from starvation.

You need to complain.

Lexus makes nice cars and congrats to you for looking into getting one, but for the person who said that they fit into the catagory of "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" - not true. There are plenty of broke people driving around in those cars.

Given the current economic situation, this jackass should be jumping for joy that anyone wants to buy his stupid cars. Go to another dealer, because anyone who walks into a dealer saying "I want that car," should completely have their butt kissed and leave with the car. That's like the best possible case scenario for a dealer when the buyer comes to them!!

Also, did you go by yourself? Because unfortunately I find that the auto-industry is still very sexist. I never go into the dealer for parts, service, etc. without my dad, because whenever I've gone by myself they've tried to take advantage of me in one way or another. They try it with my dad too, but he knows a lot about cars so it doesn't work. It's unfortunate, but I think as a female you have to be more cautious with stuff like this, because they'll try to bully you.

Thank you guys.:flowers:

My husband talked to this rude manager and explained to him how he is supposed to talk to his customers.
After that manager apologized: "I'm sorry. I want all my customers to be happy."

I've bought the car.
I really needed one. And I needed it soon. Unfortunately, no time left for looking anywhere else.
Now, I'm afraid every time I look at my car it'll remind me about this awful experience. :confused1:

Im sorry to hear that you went through that. Every car has room for haggling. Car dealers are scum, all of them. I would contact the owner of the dealer and explain to him how unhappy you were for the way you were treated.

Given the current economic situation, this jackass should be jumping for joy that anyone wants to buy his stupid cars. Go to another dealer, because anyone who walks into a dealer saying "I want that car," should completely have their butt kissed and leave with the car. That's like the best possible case scenario for a dealer when the buyer comes to them!!

Also, did you go by yourself? Because unfortunately I find that the auto-industry is still very sexist. I never go into the dealer for parts, service, etc. without my dad, because whenever I've gone by myself they've tried to take advantage of me in one way or another. They try it with my dad too, but he knows a lot about cars so it doesn't work. It's unfortunate, but I think as a female you have to be more cautious with stuff like this, because they'll try to bully you.

ITA. Sadly, this business is still very backwards that way. When I've needed serious car help and am at the dealer I've always brought my BF, my brother or a male friend with me. It DOES make a difference. If I was to go car shopping solo, I'd try to have a woman salesperson help me (but they are pretty rare).

IMO that jacka$$ doesn't deserve any more of your time and certainly not your money, but I see you've now purchased the car. I hope in time you can forget all about that experience and enjoy!!

I say...go out and buy a used Mercedes....if you make the deal and drive off...head straight to the Lexus dealer where this Bad Sales Manager is and...HONK as much as you can...and as you drive by Wave at the cruddy b@[email protected] make sure you have a :smile: on your face as you do. Then for good measure...yell at the top of your lungs...."I make good deal...and better car"...

But I am glad you got what you wanted ...I like to think of devilish :devil:ways to get even with bad sales people..