Not good enough to buy a pre-owned Lexus

I'd still like to new which dealership, you can PM me if you prefer or don't mind :yes:

I also don't subscribe to the thinking "if you have to ask, you can't afford it", surely IRL in 2009 no one truly believes that.
I can "afford" Hermes or a Bentley and there's no way in h$ll I'd ever pay sticker and/or not inquire about price.
The richest people I know aren't wealthy by accident, it's because they watch their $ like a hawk.

Doesn't matter what kind of car it is (unless we're talking Bentley or Ferrari), you should be able to haggle a bit, especially if it's used.

The guy sounds like a dumba$$. I'd go to another Lexus dealer or another luxury brand, find a good deal, then drive back and thank him for being an a$$, as you had a better experience at the other dealer and enjoyed letting them make a sale off of you. Them perhaps talk to his regional manager and explain how you were treated.

ITA with everything Charles said! Sorry to hear about this horrible experience...

I wanted to buy a pre-owned Lexus at our local dealership today.
After some negotiation I've asked sales person to talk to the manager, in good believe that manager has more flexibility in price reduction.

The manager stormed into the room and practically yelled at me...
His message was loud andclear : they only sell cars to successful people, and if I'm trying to get some discount (because of the almost bold tiers), I'm probably not one of these lucky people.

He didn't let me say a word in my defence. For all my attempts I was getting "no buts" and "no ifs". I wasn't allowed to speak a word since "I've already wasted too much of their time". I felt that I wasn't welcomed there anymore.

I left the building and burst into tears right at their lot.

I know it was childish for my part, but It was a very first time I felt as a second rate person in my life. Nobody ever talked to me that way.

Maybe my heavy accent was unbearable for him. Maybe he doesn't like foreigners in general. Or for any other reason, he felt OK to behave in such way.

I strongly belive, his personal dislikes cannot be an excuse for being so rude to his customers...

I'm so upset right now. :sad:

Can you please PM me the name of the dealership? ;)

Please don't let this be an indication of the company. Dealerships are privately owned but the manufacturer does have a say as to how customers are treated and who gets awarded/keeps a dealership. This kind of treatment is not tolerated and will be addressed.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I'd still like to new which dealership, you can PM me if you prefer or don't mind :yes:

I also don't subscribe to the thinking "if you have to ask, you can't afford it", surely IRL in 2009 no one truly believes that.
I can "afford" Hermes or a Bentley and there's no way in h$ll I'd ever pay sticker and/or not inquire about price.
The richest people I know aren't wealthy by accident, it's because they watch their $ like a hawk.

Exactly! Just because you're asking about it doesn't mean you can't afford it. Rich people are rich because they know how to SMARTLY spend their money. Why pay full price when you can haggle and get the same product for a lower price. To me, a smart, educated buyer will know what to do to get more bang for their buck and yes, that includes asking about the price sometimes.

A Lexus falls into the category of "If you have to ask the price, you probably can't afford it". You may have made them mad by asking for a lower price, then insisting on speaking to a manager for an even lower price. That's just not how it's done anymore. Dealers are working on razor thin margins and there really isn't room to come down very much, even on used cars. When they were making more on new cars, they could be more flexible on trade-ins and resales, but not now.

Also, it depends on how you're dressed and how you act. It shouldn't matter, but it does. They tend to take you more seriously if you're dressed professionally.

Really, the only thing that should matter is your ability to pay. Maybe you gave the impression you couldn't afford it.

I'd like to hear their side, but I'm they could have handled it better though.

i cant beleave this was said
1. its a used car and cars used or new you never pay sticker unless the car has that i need to be owned at any price like the first year GTR and SRT8 challenger where people are paying 30+ over sticker

2. your trying to sell something. i would of been pissed if that was my manager and they came and said that to my customer. i would of given it to her for what we paid for the car or close to it to make sure she left happy.

the store i work in has cleaners and the one women husband has an auto body. she wanted to trade her old IS300 for a new IS350 they went to one dealer they didnt give her the time of day because she walked in with sweats on. So she went to another dealer ship and picked up her new car in the same outfit.

and it shouldnt matter whatg people are wearing to sell them something i treat every one the same because you never know who has the money and who doesnt. just because there dressed to the T in a suit doesnt mean they have a dime to there name.

i would never buy a car from a rude dealership. i know that was the car you wanted but i would have gone some place else or got a new car of a cheaper brand . my base model pontiac g6 2008 was 20,000 at the most

I"m sorry you went through that. Buying a car can be a miserable experience.

I had something similar happen when I bougth my first Audi. The salesperson even snapped at me during the test drive and told me I "clearly didn't know how to drive the car." Ouch. He also informed me that a local celebrity was coming by for a test drive of a more expensive model and he no longer had time for me and booted me off the lot.

I called Audi to report his lousy service. They called another local dealership, told him which car I wanted, and asked him to treat me nicely. When I showed up after work, the salesperson had the exact car parked out front waiting for me, walked me to it, took a copy of my driver's license, handed me the keys and said "It's yours for 6 hours. Please have it back by midnight." I drove it around for about 30 miles and bought it.

It's not you, it's the sales person. I hope you're enjoying your car!

A Lexus falls into the category of "If you have to ask the price, you probably can't afford it". You may have made them mad by asking for a lower price, then insisting on speaking to a manager for an even lower price. That's just not how it's done anymore. Dealers are working on razor thin margins and there really isn't room to come down very much, even on used cars. When they were making more on new cars, they could be more flexible on trade-ins and resales, but not now.

Also, it depends on how you're dressed and how you act. It shouldn't matter, but it does. They tend to take you more seriously if you're dressed professionally.

Really, the only thing that should matter is your ability to pay. Maybe you gave the impression you couldn't afford it.
I'd like to hear their side, but I'm they could have handled it better though.

I completely disagree. You can and should be able to talk the price down on any car ESPECIALLY in these economic times. I talked them down 7k when I bought my Benz, it doesn't matter what type of car it is. My SIL just bought a car 3 weeks ago and talked them down 4k then talked them into Giving her free rims. The dealerships are desperate nowadays.

I never dress up to go to a dealership, if they don't like the way I'm dressed, if I don't impress them, then they don't need my money, I'll take it elsewhere.

The dealership should be happy they are about to sell a car, for any price! The guy was rude and I would definitly be putting in a call to complain ASAP. His attitude was completely uncalled for.

I'm sorry you had to go through that. Some people are just a$$holes. Take your money elsewhere, then make a courtesy driveby of the dealership that COULD have sealed the deal!

Glad you got the car, but you really need to forcefully complain to about the way you were treated - you deserve better!

I am responsible for negotiating multiple car/truck purchase for my organization each year. Our regular sales person knows me well, but I will not hesitate to call out any and all rude behavior inflicted upon me by the other sales and support people (fortunately this is pretty rare). I know that some car dealerships still act like it is 1962 or something, but that is not my problem.

I am sorry you had to go through this as well! I would write the company, as well as the dealership a letter detailing what you went through! Their job as a salesman is to offer customer service and to make sure the customer is happy!

You should have just quietly mentioned you will be contacting Corporate about their rude treatment. Guaranteed they would have changed their attitude.

Being from a family involved in dealerships, yes, I agree, a lot of shady underhanded business goes on. And the stereotype is well deserved for some. But no one ever wants corporate to be contacted. It affects our Dealer Cash incentives from the manufacturers...

But on the other hand, you get a lot of bustouts coming in with bad credit and insulting offers. To put it in terms you girls may understand....try selling an '05 mint condition Magenta City on ebay for a Buy It Now of $1,100.00 (reasonable) and some pesky buyer insists you sell it to them for $500.00.....yes, even in this economy. See my point?

It gets irritating. But I don't think it is professional to yell at ANY customer. We just tell them politely to have a nice day...somewhere else.

Even though the manager apologized to your hubby, I would still write a letter to his boss and complain about him. With that kind of attitude and in this economy, he is lucky to have a job.

Just enjoy your car and forget about the negative experience...AFTER you write the letter of course!

I'm very sorry that you were treated this way. But having said that if a dealership had ever made me burst into tears by speaking to me the way they spoke to you I would never step foot in there again and I cerntainly wouldn't have given them my money. I understand that you needed a car and they had one that you liked but to me by choosing to purchase a car from a dealership that treated you that poorly says that what they did is okay. I truly hope that you make a formal complaint and I hope that by still buying a car from them that it doesn't diminish your complaint.