Not familiar with this type of shipping to Canada

ponytail

Sep 16, 2009
Happy New Year!

I am considering buying a purse on Ebay and the seller informed me that it would be shipped first class international with registered mail

I am not familiar with this shipping option and was wondering why it would have been chosen and what it entails .

The vast majority of my bags have been shipped to me Priority and some Expedited

Thanks for your help!

Well, it's not that strange actually. My recent two-bag purchase was shipped first class(seller didn't bother to ask my opinion =/) and it was $29. I suggest you simply tell your seller that you want priority - especially since first class doesn't always include tracking. It shouldn't be more than $10 more expensive.

PS: on the other hand, a friend shipped another little bag to me recently, and the price was just $6. So it might be possible that the seller is being unfair here.

Registering mail is an additional fee for added protection and is one of the more secure ways to ship since it goes through a chain of custody. The benefits are all listed here.

Hard to say if $35 is reasonable without knowing how big the bag is (I assume it's not too large if it qualifies for first class) and where it's coming from and going to.

Hmm I already asked if it could be shipped priority and that's when the seller told me no it would be shipped this way.The bag is 14 " x 9 " x 4

Ok I just checked and it costs 11.50 to register the pkg.I guess this must be something new sellers are choosing to do to protect themselves However it also says that no tracking is available for me.

I do not quite understand why the seller refuses to ship priority. I personally would walk away, because it's just silly. First class usually takes a long time to receive, at least for me, so I try to stay away.

I do not quite understand why the seller refuses to ship priority. I personally would walk away, because it's just silly. First class usually takes a long time to receive, at least for me, so I try to stay away.

Yes that's what I've decided to do too.

Thanks for all your help!

First Class International is less expensive but does not include DC or SC. It can be used for items weighing 4 lbs or less. Alot of clothing sellers use it and insure with shipinsure or another one fo those places.

FCI is not for me. Priority or Express only. Although if the item is a few bucks, I will take a chance.

First Class International is less expensive but does not include DC or SC. It can be used for items weighing 4 lbs or less. Alot of clothing sellers use it and insure with shipinsure or another one fo those places.

FCI is not for me. Priority or Express only. Although if the item is a few bucks, I will take a chance.

In this case the shipping quoted is $35-not less expensive than priority

Actually the item I'm interested in is a bag and it will be well over $100 when the auction is finished. The seller is not exclusively a clothing seller either!

I guess I'm just puzzled by their refusal to ship via a more secure method for all concerned!

In this case the shipping quoted is $35-not less expensive than priority

Actually the item I'm interested in is a bag and it will be well over $100 when the auction is finished. The seller is not exclusively a clothing seller either!

I guess I'm just puzzled by their refusal to ship via a more secure method for all concerned!
By using registration, they are making first class mail considerably more secure. IMO, it's not particular cost-effective because by using regular priority (international) mail, the price will be almost the same, there will be tracking and d.c. And for not much more, EMS offers even more protection.

To use a 4 lb. package as an example since 4 pounds is the max for first class, here are the cost estimates:

first class shipping: $17.82
PLUS Registration for the 1st class parcel: $11.50
Total for first class shipping w/registered mail: $29.32

Priority mail medium FRB: post office price - $27.95
Priority mail medium FRB: online price - $26.55

Priority mail large FRB: post office price - $35.50
Prioirty mail large FRB: online price - $33.73

Priority mail (non flat rate): post office price - $26.80
Priority mail (non flat rate): online price - $25.46

And just as a comp, express mail would cost just $39.97 (online price). IMO, this is the best deal for the money in this case.

By using registration, they are making first class mail considerably more secure. IMO, it's not particular cost-effective because by using regular priority (international) mail, the price will be almost the same, there will be tracking and d.c. And for not much more, EMS offers even more protection.

To use a 4 lb. package as an example since 4 pounds is the max for first class, here are the cost estimates:

first class shipping: $17.82
PLUS Registration for the 1st class parcel: $11.50
Total for first class shipping w/registered mail: $29.32

Priority mail medium FRB: post office price - $27.95
Priority mail medium FRB: online price - $26.55

Priority mail large FRB: post office price - $35.50
Prioirty mail large FRB: online price - $33.73

Priority mail (non flat rate): post office price - $26.80
Priority mail (non flat rate): online price - $25.46

And just as a comp, express mail would cost just $39.97 (online price). IMO, this is the best deal for the money in this case.

Thank you so much for this information. It's interesting to see the cost breakdowns of the various methods

One last question --Is the Registered First class shipping more secure for the seller?

Thank you so much for this information. It's interesting to see the cost breakdowns of the various methods

One last question --Is the Registered First class shipping more secure for the seller?
I don't think it's any more secure for the seller as far as an ebay item is concerned. It's just the only way to prove delivery if international first class mail is used.

I suspect that the seller thinks she's saving money over using priority or express mail and that's why she's choosing that option. Perhaps if you direct her to this post, she might realize that not only are there other methods of shipping she can use but both of you can save money.