Not all MJ Bags are Made in Italy

Quigs

O.G.
Aug 23, 2006
I was perusing the Nordstrom website and noticed that some MJ bags were identified as "Made in Italy" and some were labeled "Imported". This was the regular MJ line and not the M for MJ line. Is this a new trend? If so, I find it very deceptive and will no longer purchase MJ bags.

I was perusing the Nordstrom website and noticed that some MJ bags were identified as "Made in Italy" and some were labeled "Imported". This was the regular MJ line and not the M for MJ line. Is this a new trend? If so, I find it very deceptive and will no longer purchase MJ bags.
Not that I know of, but if you could show us which ones said "imported," it might help.

A few small leather goods are not made in italy. For instance, I have a MJ cosmetic bag that is not.

I am right there with you, though. The day they stop making them in Italy is the day I quit buying. So far we are ok, though.

Saying "imported" still could mean made in Italy.

Edit: The first one I pulled up is the Wellington. It says "imported." I can tell you for a fact that one is made in Italy because I have had one. Mine was from the fall collection, though.

Edit Edit: I called Nords and asked them to look at the "made in" tag on the new Wellington. It says "made in Italy."

Case closed!
:smash:

Some of the bags on the website are listed as "Made in Italy". The following bags are listed on the website as "imported". (There may be more, but I was too tired to continue pasting).

MARC JACOBS 'Quilting - Large Single' Lambskin Leather Shoulder Bag

MARC JACOBS 'Quilting Stam' Leather Satchel - camel

MARC JACOBS 'Cooper - Large' Quilted Crossbody Bag

MARC JACOBS 'Quilting - Eugenie' Leather Clutch

MARC JACOBS 'Quilting - XL Single' Shoulder Bag

MARC JACOBS 'Skinny Quilting - Large Single' Shoulder Bag

MARC JACOBS 'Lacquered Quilting Class' Goatskin Satchel – black

Marc Jacobs 'Crosby Thompson' Top Handle Satchel

MARC JACOBS 'Quilting Mini Stam' Satchel

MARC JACOBS 'Lacquer Quilting - 5th Avenue' Leather Shopper

MARC JACOBS 'Little Stam' Quilted Frame Shoulder Bag

MARC JACOBS 'Paradise Baxter' Lambskin Leather Crossbody Bag

Marc Jacobs 'Palais Royal Park' Satchel

MARC JACOBS 'Palais Royal - Jen' Shoulder Bag

MARC JACOBS 'Crosby Jane' Calfskin Leather Crossbody Bag

Some of the bags on the website are listed as "Made in Italy". The following bags are listed on the website as "imported". (There may be more, but I was too tired to continue pasting).

MARC JACOBS 'Quilting - Large Single' Lambskin Leather Shoulder Bag

MARC JACOBS 'Quilting Stam' Leather Satchel - camel

MARC JACOBS 'Cooper - Large' Quilted Crossbody Bag

MARC JACOBS 'Quilting - Eugenie' Leather Clutch

MARC JACOBS 'Quilting - XL Single' Shoulder Bag

MARC JACOBS 'Skinny Quilting - Large Single' Shoulder Bag

MARC JACOBS 'Lacquered Quilting Class' Goatskin Satchel – black

Marc Jacobs 'Crosby Thompson' Top Handle Satchel

MARC JACOBS 'Quilting Mini Stam' Satchel

MARC JACOBS 'Lacquer Quilting - 5th Avenue' Leather Shopper

MARC JACOBS 'Little Stam' Quilted Frame Shoulder Bag

MARC JACOBS 'Paradise Baxter' Lambskin Leather Crossbody Bag

Marc Jacobs 'Palais Royal Park' Satchel

MARC JACOBS 'Palais Royal - Jen' Shoulder Bag

MARC JACOBS 'Crosby Jane' Calfskin Leather Crossbody Bag

out of boredom I pulled up the above in red. made in italy. i am not going to look them all up because it is a waste of time. they are made in italy.

Which ones would those be?
i cant remember which exact style, but it was a topic of discussion a few months ago. i remember MJ looking to trying out manufacturing in cheaper locals than italy, and there was a bag or two with the 'made in romania' tag...

edit~ they were manily SLG's but i think there was a beige stam too that someone found.

imported just means not made in USA. made in italy is technically "imported". it's all about where the last steps on the bags construction were done in. technically everything could be done in china, but if they put the last item on in italy, it's technically 'made in italy'

I think the ones that were made in Romania were part of the Classic collection like the Carla, Blake, etc. I know I had a wallet that said Made in Indonesia and that some of the new wallets and SLGs don't have the Made in Italy tag (the Delancey Deluxe does say Made in Italy - I checked it before I bought it).

The last time I was at the MJ boutique, I had looked at a couple of bags and I remember noticing that a few of them had Made in tags that didn't say Italy (I can't remember which style specifically cuz I looked at a few, but I do remember seeing that and being surprised)

ETA: here's the thread - http://forum.purseblog.com/marc-jacobs/black-blake-difference-between-seasons-687322.html

There's a pic of the tag on a Blake that says MADE IN ROMANIA and on the second page, someone said they bought an Elise that had a Made in Romania tag and that when she bought it (online) it said IMPORTED

I couldn't help but notice this topic. It should be said that nearly all bag companies are now being made abroad. I learned from a close friend whose entire family lives in Italy, that some, very few of these handbag companies still manufacture in Italy and make a separate line for the Italians in Italy. It is just getting much easier for manufacturers and stores to make more money if the bag is made in China, Indonesia, Romania, etc. Fewer and fewer bags are being produced in Italy and sold here! I checked out a Ferragamo handbag recently to find there was no indication whatsoever that it was made in Italy!!! Gucci bags will state if they are and you can find a tiny tag inside also, as far as I know BV's are still being made in Italy. So far, they are the only two handbag companies left that I trust that are still making goods in their factories in Italy. Prada has a factory in Italy and they sell 100% of their goods in Italy and whatever is exported is being made abroad.

What also disturbs me is a bag company can have a leather fob indicating the word Italy in it but it can be that just the leather came from there but the bag was made in China. I, personally, find it very disturbing!! My feeling is if a bag was produced in China and costed the manufacturer $20 and is sold to the store for $50, the bag should retail for $120 not $1,020!!!!!! Bags made in China are now going for $300 - $500 and bags supposedly made in Italy/France are in the 1+k range!