Nose Surgery at GNG Hospital in Gangnam, Seoul, South Korea

elky81

May 16, 2017
Hello!

I haven't seen many caucasian male surgical experiences at all, let alone in Korea, so I wanted decided to recount my story to share not only on this forum but also to share with my friends.
So I've had a deviated septum from an early age, due to a fall from a horseback ride when I was young plus injury due to boxing a few years back. My facial features were obviously distorted on the outside, which didn't really bother me. The breathing, however, became a big issue when recently I began to train for marathon and practice yoga for health reasons.

South Korea is known as #1 plastic surgery in the world which beame a common knowledge to me as I lived in Seoul for 6 years as a pro gamer. Also I take annual vacations in Korea, which made my feel more at ease with familiar surroundings and possible to fit a surgical recovery time in my otherwise hectic schedule.

I had a few consultations with the top 3 rhinoplasty clinics recommended by my girlfriend's sister, who is active in Korea's modeling industry. My priorities were 1. experienced at correcting deviated septum to inhance breathing and 2. create an aesthetically pleasing exterior.

GNG: available even the next day and the only one that owned a building of facilities from pre op to post op care and many types of different surgeons. Super friendly staff.
Cocoline: available next day, a small office in Apgujeong. Only two surgeons here, the one who saw me was friendly and thorough but the staff were standoffish.
Star: did not recommend less than 3 week stay in Korea. It was a medical center rather than a typical rhinoplasty clinic and offered a more invasive type of surgery that required breaking of the nose bones than the other two.

I just felt more comfortable with GNG and can honestly say I was 10/10 pleased from the service of staff to cleaniness of hospital and the detailed treatment from explanation of procedure to aftercare. I've never experienced anesthesia nor had a surgical procedure before with every right to be nervous and panic. They answered every question in detail and the translator was wonderful, she didn't need to be there since my girlfriend is Korean but she stayed to eliminate any miscommunication that might happen and helped relay information or questions efficiently. She even joined in the surgery room until i lost consciousness from the anesthesia. Everyone was professional and each step clear - can't express enough on how great the service was. Doctor Kim Hong Joon was also very precise and clear, and on top of all, knew me from my StarCraft years.

I highly recommend being SUPER THOROUGH with all kinds of questions and PLAN PLAN PLAN - I arranged a hotel only 10 minute walk away with my girlfriend and her family taking care of me 24/7. Having someone there with you is HUGE - girlfriend held my hand from beginning to end for physical and emotional support and her family brought soup and plenty of tea for us during recovery. It can be traumatizing to see how swollen/bruised you look post op and having people around you with staff on call at all times helped a ton. The first few days are a bit tough, but then it really is smooth sailing from there on, and i'm now super happy i decided to have it done, my breathing is improved and it feels awesome !

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1 MB · Views: 1,346
  • 4.png
    4.png
    988.7 KB · Views: 1,317
  • 5.png
    5.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,355
  • 6.png
    6.png
    960.7 KB · Views: 1,306
  • 1493285542243.png
    1493285542243.png
    1 MB · Views: 1,330
  • doctor.jpg
    doctor.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 1,301
  • postop.jpg
    postop.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 1,662
Hello!

I haven't seen many caucasian male surgical experiences at all, let alone in Korea, so I wanted decided to recount my story to share not only on this forum but also to share with my friends.
So I've had a deviated septum from an early age, due to a fall from a horseback ride when I was young plus injury due to boxing a few years back. My facial features were obviously distorted on the outside, which didn't really bother me. The breathing, however, became a big issue when recently I began to train for marathon and practice yoga for health reasons.

South Korea is known as #1 plastic surgery in the world which beame a common knowledge to me as I lived in Seoul for 6 years as a pro gamer. Also I take annual vacations in Korea, which made my feel more at ease with familiar surroundings and possible to fit a surgical recovery time in my otherwise hectic schedule.

I had a few consultations with the top 3 rhinoplasty clinics recommended by my girlfriend's sister, who is active in Korea's modeling industry. My priorities were 1. experienced at correcting deviated septum to inhance breathing and 2. create an aesthetically pleasing exterior.

GNG: available even the next day and the only one that owned a building of facilities from pre op to post op care and many types of different surgeons. Super friendly staff.
Cocoline: available next day, a small office in Apgujeong. Only two surgeons here, the one who saw me was friendly and thorough but the staff were standoffish.
Star: did not recommend less than 3 week stay in Korea. It was a medical center rather than a typical rhinoplasty clinic and offered a more invasive type of surgery that required breaking of the nose bones than the other two.

I just felt more comfortable with GNG and can honestly say I was 10/10 pleased from the service of staff to cleaniness of hospital and the detailed treatment from explanation of procedure to aftercare. I've never experienced anesthesia nor had a surgical procedure before with every right to be nervous and panic. They answered every question in detail and the translator was wonderful, she didn't need to be there since my girlfriend is Korean but she stayed to eliminate any miscommunication that might happen and helped relay information or questions efficiently. She even joined in the surgery room until i lost consciousness from the anesthesia. Everyone was professional and each step clear - can't express enough on how great the service was. Doctor Kim Hong Joon was also very precise and clear, and on top of all, knew me from my StarCraft years.

I highly recommend being SUPER THOROUGH with all kinds of questions and PLAN PLAN PLAN - I arranged a hotel only 10 minute walk away with my girlfriend and her family taking care of me 24/7. Having someone there with you is HUGE - girlfriend held my hand from beginning to end for physical and emotional support and her family brought soup and plenty of tea for us during recovery. It can be traumatizing to see how swollen/bruised you look post op and having people around you with staff on call at all times helped a ton. The first few days are a bit tough, but then it really is smooth sailing from there on, and i'm now super happy i decided to have it done, my breathing is improved and it feels awesome !
Thank you so much for sharing your experience and with photos too! What a cool job you have, get paid to game. I'm considering heading to SK April 2017 for a rhinoplasty and even though I'm female I really think GNG are THE place to go for noses because they seem to produce such great results for men's noses.

Reactions: elky81
*** Update ***

After about 4 months post op, I think it deserves an update!

For those of you who've been asking how my nose is doing, it's much better! Scars have healed nicely and I've been running again without the breathing issues. Just finished my first major race, 20km in Paris under 2 hours!

Fixing my deviated septum not only changed the appearance of my nose, but elevated my daily breathing issues. Thanks again to the doctors and staff that helped with the process, I couldn't be happier with the results!

Attachments

• nose.jpg
    nose.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 908
  • run.jpg
    run.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 864