Norwegian elkhound

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I love the look of this dog. I have been reading about them. Does anyone have one? Or can tell me more....

2. I had an elkhound years ago. Omigosh, best dog I ever had! Their personalities are all very different. Many are bold and headstrong because they were bred for a certain type of hunting, ranging independently and tracking moose. Mine was very timid and loving, gentle but kingly. Their big drawback is that heavy fur coat. It's hard to maintain. You're constantly brushing, brushing, brushing. And hauling off garbage bags of loose fur.

If you live in a southern or other warm part of the country elkhounds are probably not for you. Our elkhound would get very depressed and low energy in the summer. Even though we live in the great white north and our summers tend to hover in the 70s. We'd keep the AC on all summer at around 65F to keep him comfortable and he still seemed kind of miserable. In the winters when the temps would drop to about 10F or lower he'd be ecstatic and would really come alive. He was a completely different dog when it was cold. Energetic and playful in ways he wasn't during the summer. He loved to be outside in the snow and cold. I've heard some elkhounds even burrow in the snow. We never boarded him because we were always afraid kennels would be too hot for him, especially in the summer.

He was always great fun to go hiking with and exploring in the woods. I would definitely adopt another elkhound even with the high-maintenance fur coat and the big AC bill.

There used to be a great e-mail discussion list called moosedog-L or something like that. It's worth joining to learn more about the breed.

3. Thanks. I live in mi and love ac,yes i heard they were headstrong.

4. If you decide to adopt an elkhound you should contact one of the elkhound rescue groups: http://www.elkhoundrescue.org/
    There are lots of great dogs that are in need of a good home. You may need to wait for a while for a suitable dog to become available but a future good friend is always worth the wait.

5. I agree but this breed is rare.

6. If you do decide to adopt an elkhound please research breeders very, very thoroughly. Contact elkhound clubs for guidance. Elkhounds are very prone to hip dysplasia and there are few disorders that are more heartbreaking, especially when a dog develops it at a young age.

I discovered my beloved elkhound at a city pound. To this day I am astonished that anyone would give up such a great dog. So do keep a watch on rescues and shelters, there are a lot of great dogs out there waiting for homes.

7. I have an elkhound/border collie mix! I agree with the poster above that said they are SO headstrong/stubborn and so incredibly furry. We brush him twice per week and it is still difficult to keep up with the tumbleweeds of hair floating around the house. He was a very hyper puppy but now has calmed down significantly but he still loves to play. We crated him for the first year but now he can be left outside of the crate while we are gone. He never went through a chewing/destroying phase and he loves our cat. Overall we just love him and think he is the greatest! ImageUploadedByPurseForum1461697270.720016.jpg

8. :love: What a sweetie!!