North America tPF'ers: Solstice + full moon + total lunar eclipse!

Pursegrrl

Oh no she di-int!!
O.G.
Jun 1, 2006
Wow! This is going to be extraordinary!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=132182929

Weather permitting, sky gazers in North and Central America and a tiny sliver of South America will boast the best seats to this year's only total eclipse of the moon.

The eclipse will happen Monday night on the West Coast and during the wee hours Tuesday on the East Coast. Western Europe will only see the start of the spectacle while western Asia will catch the tail end.

The moon is normally illuminated by the sun. During a total lunar eclipse, the full moon passes through the shadow created by the Earth blocking the sun's light. Some indirect sunlight will still manage to pierce through and give the moon a ghostly color.

Since the eclipse coincides with winter solstice, the moon will appear high in the sky — a boon for skywatchers. With recent volcanic eruptions around the globe dumping tons of dust into the atmosphere, scientists predict the moon may appear darker than usual during the eclipse, glowing an eerie red or brown instead of the usual orange-yellow tinge.

North and Central America should be able to view the entire show, which is expected to last 3 1/2 hours if skies are clear. Total eclipse begins at 11:41 p.m. PST Monday or 2:41 a.m. EST Tuesday. The totality phase — when the moon is entirely inside Earth's shadow — will last a little over an hour.

I remember the last time when I saw the moon red - it felt strange and eerie. It was a summer night and the air was kind of stale with no wind at all - kind of like horror movie-ish. I'm planning to stay up to watch this lunar eclipse.