Nordtroms return policy

One of the retail "urban legends" I heard is about how Nordstroms took back a set of tires, despite the fact that they don't sell tires.

We always got it pounded in to our head that this is the way customer service SHOULD be, lol, yet all the stores I've ever worked for had awful return policies.

I find this refreshing to know after all those posts about SAs who are wonderful when you buy but oh-so-snotty when you return. There have been many, many posts on this forum about difficulties in returning items within a few days, or even items which had visible defects, so I applaud Nordstroms for its return policies. It remains one of my favourite department stores for this reason.

There maybe some unscrupulous individuals who take advantage of this, but what do most people prefer? The chance that their item purchased may have been a returned item for whatever reason, or extremely unfriendly customer service and difficult returns? Personally I always go for the store with the easy returns every time.

I love their return policy because I have a pair of shoes that started to come apart (I have other shoes in this same style but these are the only ones that came apart) and was able to exchange them for new ones. Obviously, they aren't going to and can't resell them but I love the fact that my purchases are backed up with a good return policy. I sure buy enough there and rarely, rarely ever return anything. It's a shame that there are so many dishonest people who ruin it for everyone else.

I have actually seen them turn away a customer with a return. She was upset. I would have been too. I came in in the middle of the conversation, but it was so odd because there were back to back customers with returns that were turned away. They didn't have tags or receipts. So maybe they are getting a little more forceful.

They would never do that to me. They know me and they know I will cut them off in a heartbeat. That's not a good look.

No wonder many of their bags on the sales section look terribly used! Shame on that girl. I would be so embarrassed to buy something, use it and return it and deliberately do it again and again. How can anyone say that to a customer?

I certainly would not return something I have used myself unless it really was defective and returned within a reasonable period.

I know that used items are often refurbished and sent to Nordstrom Rack. I have seen refurbished shoes and bags at the Rack before. Also I once overheard someone at Macy's tell another customer that they have a relative working at some department at Nordstroms that deals with these types of returns. Most of the time these items are still in new condition and their relative got them really good deals on shoes that were hardly worn.

I love their return policy because I have a pair of shoes that started to come apart (I have other shoes in this same style but these are the only ones that came apart) and was able to exchange them for new ones. Obviously, they aren't going to and can't resell them but I love the fact that my purchases are backed up with a good return policy. I sure buy enough there and rarely, rarely ever return anything. It's a shame that there are so many dishonest people who ruin it for everyone else.

I also had a similar situation with my Uggs. I first bought a size 7 because I usually wear a 7 1/2. Over the last three years, the pair stretched out dramatically. I brought the obviously worn shoes with the original box to Nordstrom and the manager allowed me to exchange it for a new pair of size 6 after hearing my story. Believe me, I was shocked yet thrilled at the same time. I love Nordstrom's return policy!

One of the retail "urban legends" I heard is about how Nordstroms took back a set of tires, despite the fact that they don't sell tires.

We always got it pounded in to our head that this is the way customer service SHOULD be, lol, yet all the stores I've ever worked for had awful return policies.

This is a true story! The return was an ederly man whoe purchased the tire from the same location that the Nordstrom was built on. Before Nordstrom was there it used to be a tire store, and the manager accepted the return. This story is inside the employee entrance of every Nordstrom store. There is no "retrn policy" but they just say in every situaction use your best judgement. if you think anything is suspicious you are to proceed with the return and then alert Loss preventions and they deal with it, or send the customer up to customer service to deal with it.

As wonderful as I think it is that Nordstrom is so committed to good customer service, I can't help but be disgusted with people who return obviously used stuff. Returning a bag you've used all summer is as bad is those people who buy clothes at designer boutiques, tuck in the tags, wear it, and then return it.

Interestingly enough, I was at nordstrom's the other day when this woman showed up with a Coach purse & wallet that she wanted to exchange. the purse looked like an older style, and she was trying to coerce the SA to give her a credit because it was a gift. Anyway, the SA told her it wasn't a style they ever sold, but he would check with the manager. The manager came over, looked at the bag, and told her that they couldn't take the bag back. Maybe they aren't as lenient as they used to be?

Very true. Nordstroms is the best at returns. But using a bag and returning to get a new one is just wrong. People like that make me think Nordstrom might change their policy and get more strict. I understand the whole customer service, but I think doing that is just awful.

I also had a similar situation with my Uggs. I first bought a size 7 because I usually wear a 7 1/2. Over the last three years, the pair stretched out dramatically. I brought the obviously worn shoes with the original box to Nordstrom and the manager allowed me to exchange it for a new pair of size 6 after hearing my story. Believe me, I was shocked yet thrilled at the same time. I love Nordstrom's return policy!

Well that's good..the shoes I had were the Dezario heart sandals in silver and the clear strap just about ripped off from the sole area. I hadn't even worn those HALF as much as I had with my other pairs (I also have them in green, red, leopard and pastel multicolor) since they were fairly new. My mom never had trouble with hers either and she has the orange, multicolor, gold, silver and pink ones. So I obviously got a defective pair lol...
These were the ones: Dezario 'Heart' Thong Sandal - - Nordstrom.com

I think it's great of Nordstroms to have such a wonderful return policy (especially compared to LV, which is NO returns after 14 days :Push: ) - but for someone to buy 1 purse and use the return policy over and over again to constantly get a new bag is just dispicable.