Nordstrom sent me a dirty used bag and doesn't

viba424

O.G.
Dec 9, 2006
I purchased a Tumi laptop brief. After 10 days, it finally arrived. It was missing all tags. Upon further investigation, the strap was thrown inside, there were dirt streaks on it, a persons work ID was in one of the pockets.

A few minutes later, my husband turned on the light and said "uh oh", only to find a half eaten cough drop and a wad of this random persons hair!

I chatted with a few CS agents and also by phone. DH said just return it and be done with it, but it was an expensive bag, took 10 days to get here, and I have no bag to use for my trip now!! They are not offering anything but to help me find something else and lucky me I may keep my points if its for a similar item. I am furious right now!

I would have thought they would have offered me a similar priced bag for the same 20% off I got mine for or something. I will have to take two hours off to return it in store, or mail it back and wait a week or more for a refund and lose about 700 points. I dont want something for nothing but the excuse that I can simply return it and look for something else doesnt work for me! Am I wrong?

Last edited:
What else should they do? It was an obvious lapse, and they are trying to help you get it fixed. Sorry for the weird experience, but if it happened to me, I'd just want it made right. And they are trying to do that. This is big retail, with various moving parts and somebody slipped up--it happens.

They should meet your discounted price if you do replace with the same bag, though. Other than that, I don't think they owe you anything.

To their credit, I have placed about a million orders with them and they never mess up. I would have expected them to be willing to find a very similar bag for the same price, and give me a the same 20% off price match. I worked with the agent to find another bag and she said I would have to simply purchase another bag at full price and yes I would lose my points if it was something different.

I would have expected them to be willing to find a very similar bag for the same price, and give me a the same 20% off price match.

I think it's reasonable to expect the replacement of the same item at the previous discount, and only that. As we all know, Nordie's only puts some of its inventory on sale at any given time.

I don't know if you are wrong or right. But I would return the bag and go get something cheap locally for your trip. It sounds like someone used the bag for a trip and returned it.

700 points is only $7, right? Sometimes it's easier to let go and get something else and put the experience behind you as quickly as possible. You can make that money back on some other smart purchase.

If you have tried calling a couple of people and you are getting the same story, that implies there is not a mechanism in place that reps can use to make amends.

What else should they do? It was an obvious lapse, and they are trying to help you get it fixed. Sorry for the weird experience, but if it happened to me, I'd just want it made right. And they are trying to do that. This is big retail, with various moving parts and somebody slipped up--it happens.

They should meet your discounted price if you do replace with the same bag, though. Other than that, I don't think they owe you anything.

I have to agree; even the biggest stores have lapses in judgement and quality once in a while. All they can do is accept the return and help you replace the bag if they find the same bag. Things like this sadly do happen.

I think it's reasonable to expect the replacement of the same item at the previous discount, and only that. As we all know, Nordie's only puts some of its inventory on sale at any given time.

I agree with this. I think expecting a "similar" item at a 20% discount is going a bit too far.

I agree with this. I think expecting a "similar" item at a 20% discount is going a bit too far.

+1

That would set a precedent, which could end up being a bit dangerous, especially since people do return a ton - they would automatically expect similar items at a discounted price, etc.

I think they should give you the same 20% off a similar item. This is not a handbag, this is something you needed for a trip. Mistakes happen, but they need to be on top of things for better items. If they are not diligent about returns that might mean they are also letting fakes slip back into their system. And that is a concern for all of us!

Since they are not giving you any real customer service I would return it & buy something inexpensive for your trip.

I agree with you all. The extenuating circumstance is that a replacement was not an option. It would have to be a replacement, and because it took 10 days to get here, there was not enough time to do mail order, I was restricted to finding somthing in store if I was going to be able to use it. Either way, all is forgiven and I'll make do. Norstrom is great and I am a loyal customer.

The only one Im still disgusted with is the lady who left her grody hair and cough drop in the bag and returnd it with her photo ID inside LOL! :roflmfao:

I don't know if you are wrong or right. But I would return the bag and go get something cheap locally for your trip. It sounds like someone used the bag for a trip and returned it.

700 points is only $7, right? Sometimes it's easier to let go and get something else and put the experience behind you as quickly as possible. You can make that money back on some other smart purchase.

If you have tried calling a couple of people and you are getting the same story, that implies there is not a mechanism in place that reps can use to make amends.

700 points is $350 dollars