Nordstrom Business Decisions lately

Yes! I buy LV, Chanel, premier designer shoes etc. using my card and automatically was granted no interest for 6 months which by that time my balance would be paid in full.

So it was a great incentive to basically have a interest free department store card, however now I certainly will not buy higher end items from Nordstrom any longer if I even purchase anything from them at all. They sent me another card lol but my fiancé told me to keep it as I might need it at some point, however my purchases will be in very small quantities compared to how they use to be.

I wonder if they realize what a mistake this is? Especially since these are likely the people who spend the most?

I wonder if they realize what a mistake this is? Especially since these are likely the people who spend the most?

Exactly! However I do think it more than likely wasn't in their control cos when they sold their account to the commercial bank, the bank probably denied the no interest incentive because of course interest is how the banks make their money.

So when Nordstrom sold the rights over to the bank, the bank is now in control of the terms and conditions which everyone who has a card need to read and understand all the changes that have been made as most are probably unaware of them.

I'll still buy something here and there but will certainly pay it off when it's due because I don't like paying interest especially the high interest on department store cards.

They opened more designer boutiques in the Seattle flagship location.

Expanded the Chanel boutique, LV, Gucci, Fendi, Prada, YSL, Akris, D&G, Valentino,

I guess this is where all the money from cutting back is going and they're focusing on the flagship store to offer the best inventory and be the cash cow.

My guess is possibly the triple point days will still only extend to Nordstrom credit or debit card purchases.

"Rewards" is being applied to both Nordstrom debit/credit AND now extended to any manner of payment, but different earn rates. So at least we are earning SOMETHING regardless of what method we use to pay. Kind of like how Bloomingdales is set up.

Hmm, I'm at level one and earning 2 points per dollar spent with my Nordstrom card.

I have an Amex Blue Cash card that earns 2% cash back at select department stores including Nordstrom. Now that I can still earn 1 point per dollar with Nordstrom Rewards, it makes more sense to use the Amex. Or if I shop online I'll use my ****** card which is usually at least 5%.

Does this sound right?

edit: just realized the Blue list doesn't include the Rack. Well my BoA card is 1.5% on everything...

Yep this is why when they sent me my new card, I threw it away! There's no point in me using the card if I no longer can get no interest and as you said, especially when they're last to receive releases and only get a small inventory. The no interest was why I would hold out from Neiman's and stick to Nordstrom but now what's the point?

I also don't like them downsizing their inventory only because they don't want to price match anymore. It was always easy for me to maintain my Level status by buying staples which all of them are offered at other stores but again, it benefited me to purchase them at Nordstrom as it was a guaranteed order on triple point days and easy to keep my Level status.

Like someone else stated, Nordstrom use to be exclusive and considered high-end but it lost it's appeal years ago and has basically alienating the consumers that the brand was built on in the first place to cater to the masses. You can't have it both ways, either you're going to be a luxury retailer or you're not and people who are looking for sales & bargains are not going to choose Nordstrom when Dillards etc. offer the same thing for less.

So it's very understandable why 400 people from corporate level were let go because Nordstrom is no longer the status symbol brand it use to be. I have officially moved on to Neiman's now since I trashed my Nordstrom card. I also understand why so many SAs have left and a few of them are at Neiman's now. Nordstrom is a sinking ship and I have no interest in shopping at The Rack so this big spender is gone as there's no incentive for me to stay.

Most people are not big spenders. Look up the median income for USA and nope, most can't afford neimans. Congrats to all those that can.

Nordstrom really has changed their target audience. The homepage now looks to appeal to much younger shoppers. NM and Nordstrom do share some inventory so NM really isn't out of the reach of Nordstrom shoppers at all. But NM is working hard to maintain the luxury appeal, versus Nordstrom, which I feel has now changed its focus, entirely. I'm not even sure they know what it is at this point, but it certainly is a transition. A lot of previous posts have commented on this change. I say, good luck selling high end items to younger shoppers and depending on that for your revenue. Kids can only borrow so much from mommy and daddy. It looks as though they have no choice but to go ahead with this plan to find new designers at a price point that works for this younger audience. My Nordstrom(s) are usually swarming with teens, whereas at NM the experience feels more personalized, so, buying the same item at NM or Nordstrom is usually a no-brainer.

Nordstrom really has changed their target audience. The homepage now looks to appeal to much younger shoppers. NM and Nordstrom do share some inventory so NM really isn't out of the reach of Nordstrom shoppers at all. But NM is working hard to maintain the luxury appeal, versus Nordstrom, which I feel has now changed its focus, entirely. I'm not even sure they know what it is at this point, but it certainly is a transition. A lot of previous posts have commented on this change. I say, good luck selling high end items to younger shoppers and depending on that for your revenue. Kids can only borrow so much from mommy and daddy. It looks as though they have no choice but to go ahead with this plan to find new designers at a price point that works for this younger audience. My Nordstrom(s) are usually swarming with teens, whereas at NM the experience feels more personalized, so, buying the same item at NM or Nordstrom is usually a no-brainer.

I sadly completely agree.

What happened to Nordstrom's double points? Their Rewards calendar only shows triple points days now. If I recall, during the anniversary sale they offered double points for the first few weeks of the sale.
I was wondering that same question and asked Nordstrom customer service through Facebook. I was informed that they did away with the double points during Early Access for the Anniversary Sale.

That is lame. I usually spend a lot during the anniversary sale but find that a majority of those items go back on sale in the early fall, and they're even cheaper! This year, I would rather wait until the fall to purchase those items especially if they aren't doing extra points during the anniversary sale. So disappointing ...
I agree with you. This year, I am just buying basics (bras and beauty). You're right that a lot of the items go on sale in the fall.

Reactions: cmd28

For us on TPF, we like Neiman Marcus but the reality is they are a troubled company looking for a buyer- compared to Nordstrom which is well run and consistently profitable (even though Nordstrom profitability is not on an upward trajectory right now).
I think there are too many dept stores and some of them need to go away. Macys for sure seems completely lost.