Nordstrom Anniversary Sale 2017 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys! i'm dropping in to see what's going on, good to see y'all again! i don't work with nordstrom at the moment but there's a possibility i'll return for the season to help out and if i can provide intel again i will. i worked as designer stylist at saks and am now doing my own personal styling thing, gonna be an adjunct professor in addition coming up!

my major thoughts from last year: everything except select designer pieces (like the alex wang bag in beet) and diamond jewelry like bony levy and kwiat will be marked down again within a couple weeks of the sale ending. this was horrifying for me as an associate! it was horrifying for my customers! everything got returned! everyone was mad! aaack! buy into the hype if it's fun for you but realize that discounts will be deeper later. if you have an SA we are technically supposed to price adjust within two weeks but can stretch that for good clients.

some of the designer pieces in the sale are made for the sale and are not as high quality as usual. i.e. st. john and fabiana. some of them were still cool pieces tho, but they all got marked down post-sale (see above!)

BONY LEVY. BONY LEVY. BONY LEVY. great pieces and you can build on them year after year. the bony levy trunk show also happens pretty close after the sale and that's fun too! unique pieces!

KWIAT! diamonds!

crazy thing: if you're working with an associate/online by yourself looking for a sought-after item, it might be available but some stores are low-inventory and do not have to ship anything and won't do it. the longchamp in black you want? you can't get it even though there are 7 still available in the company because they're at one of these smaller stores. this drove me *insane* last year because my clients couldn't get what they wanted even though other stores had the stuff.

ultimately i had a lot of fun working with people on the thread, love you guys and miss you and hope you are all well! shoot me a message to catch up if you want!

hey guys! i'm dropping in to see what's going on, good to see y'all again! i don't work with nordstrom at the moment but there's a possibility i'll return for the season to help out and if i can provide intel again i will. i worked as designer stylist at saks and am now doing my own personal styling thing, gonna be an adjunct professor in addition coming up!

my major thoughts from last year: everything except select designer pieces (like the alex wang bag in beet) and diamond jewelry like bony levy and kwiat will be marked down again within a couple weeks of the sale ending. this was horrifying for me as an associate! it was horrifying for my customers! everything got returned! everyone was mad! aaack! buy into the hype if it's fun for you but realize that discounts will be deeper later. if you have an SA we are technically supposed to price adjust within two weeks but can stretch that for good clients.

some of the designer pieces in the sale are made for the sale and are not as high quality as usual. i.e. st. john and fabiana. some of them were still cool pieces tho, but they all got marked down post-sale (see above!)

BONY LEVY. BONY LEVY. BONY LEVY. great pieces and you can build on them year after year. the bony levy trunk show also happens pretty close after the sale and that's fun too! unique pieces!

KWIAT! diamonds!

crazy thing: if you're working with an associate/online by yourself looking for a sought-after item, it might be available but some stores are low-inventory and do not have to ship anything and won't do it. the longchamp in black you want? you can't get it even though there are 7 still available in the company because they're at one of these smaller stores. this drove me *insane* last year because my clients couldn't get what they wanted even though other stores had the stuff.

ultimately i had a lot of fun working with people on the thread, love you guys and miss you and hope you are all well! shoot me a message to catch up if you want!

Wow good information. I am only looking at a couple of items that seem to only go on sale this time (Lyssé High Waist Denim Leggings, Two by Vince Camuto Seamed Back Leggings) and only getting what I need this year. Since I have hard to fit feet I will buy shoes if they work for me because I do not want to risk my size selling out. But really that is it.

Reactions: MsMarcel

KWIAT! diamonds!

Good to know! With last years sale I ordered majority of my items online as I don't have a Nordstrom locally and the closest one is an hour away. I kept majority of the items I purchased in my "items saved for later" online. A few weeks after the sale what was left in stock (at least online) was even more discounted like you stated. I ended up re-ordering and returning. It's frustrating as a buyer and I am sure as an SA as well.

I've missed you ladies since last year!!! I did a lot of shopping last year and definitely blew my budget but overall was disappointed vs other years past. This year my budget is $500 or less (which is like 1/6th of what I spent last year) and I'm not nearly excited as I have been. So I am just hoping to get a new Longchamp, a pair of UGG boots for the little one, Zella leggings, basic staples, kennebunk throws, and of course the cosmetic restocks and gift sets. Other than that I do not need anything. But as always I look forward to the hustle and bustle of the thread and of course the reveals!

Last edited:
I've missed you ladies since last year!!! I did a lot of shopping last year and definitely blew my budget but overall was disappointed vs other years past. This year my budget is $500 or less (which is like 1/6th of what I spent last year) and I'm not nearly excited as I have been. So I am just hoping to get a new Longchamp, a pair of UGG boots for the little one, Zella leggings, basic staples, and of course the cosmetic restocks and gift sets. Other than that I do not need anything. But as always I look forward to the hustle and bustle of the thread and of course the reveals!

My budget is $500 as well.

KWIAT! diamonds!

Hi, MsMarcel!

First of all, congratulations on all your new endeavors! Yay! What subject will you be teaching?

Thank you for sharing all the info. I didn't know some of that (lesser quality for some of the items...for the sale...wish they would be upfront about that...items being available but not being shipped to customers...etc.). What an eye opener!

This will help me with my shopping decisions. Thank you so much!

Reactions: MsMarcel
Unless the item is very special to me (my size typically sells out, über popular items, must-have color/style/etc.), I'm going to wait. For the deeper discounts. And before all that, I'm going to really think about the purchase. Make sure it's something I truly need/want.

My goal is not to get caught up in the "excitement" and "chase." Returning (so inconvenient) and asking for price adjustments (mine was denied last year; when I first contacted Nordstrom, the item was available, but by the time I got an SA over the phone/online to help me, the item had sold out...it was crazy!) is not my idea of fun!

Unless the item is very special to me (my size typically sells out, über popular items, must-have color/style/etc.), I'm going to wait. For the deeper discounts. And before all that, I'm going to really think about the purchase. Make sure it's something I truly need/want.

My goal is not to get caught up in the "excitement" and "chase." Returning (so inconvenient) and asking for price adjustments (mine was denied last year; when I first contacted Nordstrom, the item was available, but by the time I got an SA over the phone/online to help me, the item had sold out...it was crazy!) is not my idea of fun!

For sure and it is just "stuff". Sometimes I feel like we are paying for a product that is worth less than the initial price. Sort of like items made for outlets stores. Not really a bargain like the old days. Does that make sense?

My list: Smartwool socks (if they are included), possibly a makeup set, and I'll look at the shoes. Last year I got the barefoot dreams drape cardi - I have 2 now and only wear them in fall/winter so I don't need another, used to buy Zella leggings but I now prefer Lucy.

I dragged my feet last year regarding the Bony Levy thin bangles but this year I'm definitely going to pull the trigger. I spent an entire year thinking about them and kicking myself! I was in the store a few weeks ago and tried one on and I'm patiently waiting for the sell.

Reactions: lovemyrescues
Status
Not open for further replies.