Nordstrom Anniversary Sale 2017 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't bought as much on sale due to inventory and quality in some items. I restocked bras, underwear and socks, that was good, a couple pairs of sneakers like the Kate Spade tassels. But a lot of the items felt like they were made for the sale and I just couldn't. I did get a few Rails plaid shirts but they were at full price because I liked the colors more than what was on sale. All this still added up but I can't say I blew the bank because of the sale though it was a catalyst. For example, I was trying on the sale AGL flats and said they felt less substantial than the regular ones. The SA said "you're the first to say that, yes, it's the sole of the shoe, they changed it for the sale". I passed. But I have enough clothes and needed an underwear refresh so all good. I did get one pair of the Vince Milo loafers and while it was not my first color choice, I don't think they are a substantial shoe and won't get more. I would probably return them except I wore them around the house while doing other things so the bottom is scuffed; one pair is definitely enough.
I put masking tape on the bottoms of my new shoes so I can wear them around the house to determine if they're going to hurt or rub. In the past, too often a shoe felt fine at the store and even while trying on at home with different outfits. But after wearing them out and about, they'd start to hurt like the dickens. Of course by that time the bottoms are scuffed rendering them unreturnable.

I wanted inspiration to stop the shopping rampage and even return a few items, so I sorted through my closet today. It worked. I have two trash bags of clothing give to my friend or donate, and a third bag of things to sell. I decided to pull out and return a couple of items. Here's hoping that I'll hate the rest of the stuff on its way to me!
LOLOLOL!!! :lol:

My goal for myself was that all new shoeboxes needed to fit in the shoe area in my closet. So I had to give some old shoes and sandals to my daughters and I ended up pulling a few new pair to bring back to Nordies. But in the end, my goal was achieved with an open slot in case I love the one last pair on their way to me. :biggrin:

I would agree. But I haven't shopped for 12 months and I needed a new work wardrobe - so it was like a caged tiger released :smile:.
I'm actually disappointed that I haven't been able to build even 50% of the business formal wardrobe I need - quality, price, sizing all issues. No blazer or even suit yet but then I found some nice dresses for work at a good price.

And then of course I splurged on some items that I absolutely do not need, but loved and the price was right - a leather jacket, Vince loafers, a few blouses and tops, white jeans, booties, etc.
It's not Nordies but I have had good luck finding business attire at Banana Republic. And their stuff is always on sale. I never pay full price for anything. Just a thought!

I put masking tape on the bottoms of my new shoes so I can wear them around the house to determine if they're going to hurt or rub. In the past, too often a shoe felt fine at the store and even while trying on at home with different outfits. But after wearing them out and about, they'd start to hurt like the dickens. Of course by that time the bottoms are scuffed rendering them unreturnable.
Masking tape is a great idea, I really like that!

Nordstrom has never had an issue with returning worn shoes.
I just hate doing that to someone. Maybe the Milos would be sought enough they wouldn't care but it just seems mean to return shoes with scuffed bottoms.

Reactions: dorcast
Masking tape is a great idea, I really like that!

I just hate doing that to someone. Maybe the Milos would be sought enough they wouldn't care but it just seems mean to return shoes with scuffed bottoms.
Perhaps another viewpoint is if a lot of the inferior made-for-sale items are returned, Nordstroms just might reconsider their sales strategy in the future?

Got lucky tonight. Scored the Vince Milo loafers in charcoal I was stalking. SA said it was the last pair of any color in the store. Got them in walnut during presale, I might keep both. I know some of the reviews said they run large but for those of you wondering if you get your true size or size down I honestly think you would be fine either way. I am a tight shoe liking person, and my walnut ones are my true size and generously cut but frankly it feels kind of great that way. If you half size down, the suede I am sure will stretch and mold to your feet very nicely as well.

I bought the Vince Milo in black, gray and roasted nut in my normal Vince size because I like my shoes a little roomy. They give the same vibe as much more expensive loafers from The Row and they may just be my favorite purchase of the sale.

Perhaps another viewpoint is if a lot of the inferior made-for-sale items are returned, Nordstroms just might reconsider their sales strategy in the future?
I don't disagree with that, that's for sure. I can clearly see the difference in many of these items. For trendy items, it makes sense but I'm truly hoping there is no difference in the Chantelle Rive' Gauche bras or Hanky Panky underwear.

Got lucky tonight. Scored the Vince Milo loafers in charcoal I was stalking. SA said it was the last pair of any color in the store. Got them in walnut during presale, I might keep both. I know some of the reviews said they run large but for those of you wondering if you get your true size or size down I honestly think you would be fine either way. I am a tight shoe liking person, and my walnut ones are my true size and generously cut but frankly it feels kind of great that way. If you half size down, the suede I am sure will stretch and mold to your feet very nicely as well.
Thanks for this data point. My SA found me a pair of the pewter loafers in my typical Vince size before people saying they run large, so I was a little worried they'd have to go back.

Now I can't wait for them to arrive again! [emoji3]

A bit off topic, but I know that some items are made specifically for a particular promotion, say, Black Friday.

I have a friend who's husband is an engineer. One year he bought one of those small appliances (I think maybe a blender) that was part of a Black Friday sale at a big retailer and took it apart (at work, I think). It was concluded that that version was of a lesser quality.

Now that isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you know (because the retailer publicized it so) that you are buying something that was made specifically for that promotion/sale, then that's one thing. It's like knowing (hopefully by now) that buying most things at an outlet means buying outlet-made merchandise (J. Crew vs. J. Crew Outlet). But stores not disclosing that fact to the consumers is misleading.

Reactions: ame and Theresarc
Call me old fashioned but I have never spent more than ~$70 on jeans before and tonight I bought some $135 Rag & Bone jeans.. Is this extravagant or normal? I am sick and tired of my weird Levis and Kut from the Kloth jeans (sorry no offense!) that either bag at the crotch or ride on me funny. Have I been missing something? I am ready to move on.

_101210327.jpg

Last edited:
I don't disagree with that, that's for sure. I can clearly see the difference in many of these items. For trendy items, it makes sense but I'm truly hoping there is no difference in the Chantelle Rive' Gauche bras or Hanky Panky underwear.
Chantelle Rive Gauche Bras are definitely the same as the non-Anniversary sale ones. Also, Saks and Bloomies have also marked down the Chantelle bras that are are a part of the NAS -- I purchased some from Saks as they don't charge sales tax when shipping to WA state, and additionally I was able to get a percentage back with e*bates. I would have just purchased from my local Nordstrom, but they didn't have my size in stock.

Reactions: ocdebby
Chantelle Rive Gauche Bras are definitely the same as the non-Anniversary sale ones. Also, Saks and Bloomies have also marked down the Chantelle bras that are are a part of the NAS -- I purchased some from Saks as they don't charge sales tax when shipping to WA state, and additionally I was able to get a percentage back with e*bates. I would have just purchased from my local Nordstrom, but they didn't have my size in stock.
That's great to hear because I've bought several and I think the sale price had a lot to do with that. I blame the sale for introducing me to the Rails shirts too. I've seen them before but never tried one on. Once I did, that was it and I decided rather than choose a print I liked less, I'd rather just get a couple I really loved. For the Milo loafer lovers, are you putting a heavier sole on the bottoms? I live in rainy Seattle and I just don't see how they will withstand much more than carpet. For those that are familiar, the sole reminds me of the J. Crew Gemma, just really really thin. I wish there a little more to the bottom.

Reactions: VancouverLady
Status
Not open for further replies.