Nordstrom Anniversary Sale 2017 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the book, need to apply the principles. Last night I really took a hard look at the new items I just purchased because it's a lot easier and more cost effective to not add the item to my wardrobe than purge later. I'm (a little regretfully) returning a few extra pair of shoes and items that I'm not 100% in love with. I'm struggling with the Halogen navy cashmere wrap. It's beautiful but I don't wear a lot of navy. I keep putting it in the return pile only to pull it out. Lol! :facepalm:

I totally do this. I have the hardest time returning things sometimes because of it. Sometimes I return the things I know I don't want right away, and wait a week on the things I'm unsure of. The good news is, even if you return and decide you want it later, chances are you can get the same thing or something similar at that time.

I have the book, need to apply the principles. Last night I really took a hard look at the new items I just purchased because it's a lot easier and more cost effective to not add the item to my wardrobe than purge later. I'm (a little regretfully) returning a few extra pair of shoes and items that I'm not 100% in love with. I'm struggling with the Halogen navy cashmere wrap. It's beautiful but I don't wear a lot of navy. I keep putting it in the return pile only to pull it out. Lol! :facepalm:
That's a smart idea to compare the new ones to the stuff you have. The glossiness of new items always makes me miss a crucial step like that. I'm kinda the opposite, I love navy and have a ton of it but always balk at wearing it a lot since it can offset an outfit or look too planned out. It always looks effortless on others.

Yes, I did this and it really helps. I didn't follow her method exactly and I don't fold my clothes the way she does, but I really started to look at my clothes (and all my possessions) differently. I got rid of a lot of stuff that I was holding onto (and not using/wearing).
I tried to do the folding then found I really don't have time or the commitment to doing this all the time. I did two purges with her methods. The first one was a bit depressing. Just seeing all of those impulse buys that I never used or things at the time I thought was a great deal or something I tried to justify go unworn. It really makes you look at your choices and find what you truly like to wear. I see the bad decision making creep back in during this sale. The whole "i have to buy this or it will sell out" then I never end up wearing that item or it goes on sale for even less 2 months after the sale. I think I just need to follow the one in one out rule so it forces me to truly justify the item. Selling on Poshmark/ Tradesy or donating makes the process a bit more rewarding.

I spoke about TB shoes and quality last year. They simply are a label, the quality is no longer put into the products. Are they cute...yeah, but don't look to TB for quality or an investment piece. Kinda sad, their old shoes and purses are made from buttery soft quality leather and their shoes were more carefully constructed.

Small talk aside I'm so sorry that happened to you!
I had always resisted the TB hoopla but when my daughters swore to me how comfortable the sandals were, I jumped on the bandwagon. Ha! Not a good move for me. I'm sticking with my tried and true brands: AGL, Born, Frye, Birkenstock, Paul Green, Aquatalia, Stuart Weitzman, Cole Haan, Everlane, Clarks have all performed well for me over the years. I like to travel and typically fly carry on which means my shoes have got to be workhorses on the road.

I tried to do the folding then found I really don't have time or the commitment to doing this all the time. I did two purges with her methods. The first one was a bit depressing. Just seeing all of those impulse buys that I never used or things at the time I thought was a great deal or something I tried to justify go unworn. It really makes you look at your choices and find what you truly like to wear. I see the bad decision making creep back in during this sale. The whole "i have to buy this or it will sell out" then I never end up wearing that item or it goes on sale for even less 2 months after the sale. I think I just need to follow the one in one out rule so it forces me to truly justify the item. Selling on Poshmark/ Tradesy or donating makes the process a bit more rewarding.
Yes, I donated my stuff and I tried to think of it as "well, the money is gone and maybe someone will actually use it now." And I really try to make better purchasing decisions now. Stuff I will actually wear. With that said, do I still make mistakes? Yes. Still learning what works for me and my life.

I had always resisted the TB hoopla but when my daughters swore to me how comfortable the sandals were, I jumped on the bandwagon. Ha! Not a good move for me. I'm sticking with my tried and true brands: AGL, Born, Frye, Birkenstock, Paul Green, Aquatalia, Stuart Weitzman, Cole Haan, Everlane, Clarks have all performed well for me over the years. I like to travel and typically fly carry on which means my shoes have got to be workhorses on the road.

I admit, I bought a pair of TB flats in the sale. They're navy with little cream flowers. I hope they hold up. I love them. I've not had any complaints about TB shoes or bags (although I hear a lot of people have had issues).

Reactions: can_do_mom
I ordered the Hue High waist skimmer pants on a whim and I was surprised that I really like them. Not a fan of all the rayon/poly/nylon items but these are comfortable. and I don't wear leggings so these are a nice in-between. Tregging lol. My only fit issue is that it kind of bunches a bit in the back under the waistband, like the back rise is a bit high for me, but that'll be covered when I wear them so not a problem.

View attachment 3772403

Halogen leather jacket just arrived! Would love some thought if I should keep or return. I love how thick and buttery the leather is, and the matte hardware. However, arms are long (can be altered), and the shoulder seems too wide for me (weird little puff if I move my arms around). The bottom of the jacket fits great but there seems to be a bit of extra room near the chest area. This is a small petite, should I try going for an xsmall petite or just return. I'm also not 100% sold on side zippers.

Edit: excuse messy room and dirty mirror!
bkr is a water bottle brand, and it is listed under beauty. the company's "thing" is that they are your most important beauty accessory (i.e., you look better if you are hydrated i guess??) anyways... check under beauty.
The shoulder puff looks weird.
emoji1.png
, I wish. Having never tried Halogen, Im glad that these were my firsts. They really do remind me of some Italian design houses, but at a much better price. So while I may sit in coach, but I'm dressed like I should be in first class!
I just tried again and the rep said that the online inventory is the store inventory *SIGH*
thats always been my experience!

I have a hard time getting rid or donating my old clothes when I buy new clothes. My closets (I have 2 large closets just for my clothes) are at full capacity

Try that Marie Kondo method, it really made me tackle those pieces that stick around and refined how I shop for clothes (stop buying stuff that's just ok and get what I really want and wear)

Yes, I did this and it really helps. I didn't follow her method exactly and I don't fold my clothes the way she does, but I really started to look at my clothes (and all my possessions) differently. I got rid of a lot of stuff that I was holding onto (and not using/wearing).

ALL OF THESE.

Get that book and do it! Start with your underwear drawer. I read the book on Christmas in 3 hours. I had just gone through my closet a week prior (we were getting ready to gut/remodel our master closet) and I thought I had gotten rid of a ton of stuff. NOPE! After doing the Konmari method, I was able to get rid of 8 more bags of clothes and shoes to donate, 3 bags to the dump, and a whole 18 gallon tote to list on Poshmark. It's amazing!

I have been a SAHM for 5 years. I was laid off from my previous job right before my middle kid was born. I still have a lot of clothes and shoes that I wore to work because I didn't know if I would need them. I even held on to a few pairs of work shoes after my big purge last winter. I'm in the middle of another purge, and while I'm not taking everything out of my closet to do it, I'm just doing it. No attachment. It will serve someone else! It's so freeing!

I'm about halfway through Konmari-ing my whole house. I did the kitchen & laundry room last spring and that was amazing! I still need to finish paper, and I need to do the garage.

It really works. I know what to buy and what I will wear, so I don't spend money on stuff I won't wear in a year. Like I stayed away from all trendy stuff from this sale. No bell sleeves, no big frills, no destroyed denim, no weird hems, no 90's stuff that will go out of style in 2 years. None of that. Just classic pieces that fit in my wardrobe.

DO IT!

Also, I sold all of my maternity clothes on Poshmark last year, and that really started me on the process of cleaning out my closet. That was before I read that book. I don't list a ton of stuff, just stuff in really good condition, and I've made about $750. I have 2 18 gallon totes, one of listed things and one of stuff that I need to list. Whenever I have a few minutes and the light is good, I snap pictures & take measurements. Then I list them when I have time at night after the kids go to bed.

Also, I sold all of my maternity clothes on Poshmark last year, and that really started me on the process of cleaning out my closet. That was before I read that book. I don't list a ton of stuff, just stuff in really good condition, and I've made about $750. I have 2 18 gallon totes, one of listed things and one of stuff that I need to list. Whenever I have a few minutes and the light is good, I snap pictures & take measurements. Then I list them when I have time at night after the kids go to bed.

StacyLynn, you should join our "Cleaning Out The Closet" thread in the Money forum! (Actually, everyone who is closet cleaning should!) We share our tips, successes, and progress towards cleaning out the closet, house, and garage there. It's fun and very motivating to read what other people are doing. It's taken me 3 years but I've done a massive house and closet purge. The DH and I are getting ready to downsize in a year or so (though we've been saying that for quite awhile lol) so that's what got me started.

Anyone else need to do a little housecleaning in their closets to make room for new inventory? I keep our closet pretty well organized but it's not huge and I've purchased a lot of shoes and boots that I like. Decisions, decisions... I need to take a hard look at what I've bought and pull a couple to return. :whut:
I try and purge my closet twice year to move out items im no longer into or dont fit or have been dry cleaned to death. I generally donate things that are still wearable. It really helps keep things neat and manageable.

StacyLynn, you should join our "Cleaning Out The Closet" thread in the Money forum! (Actually, everyone who is closet cleaning should!) We share our tips, successes, and progress towards cleaning out the closet, house, and garage there. It's fun and very motivating to read what other people are doing. It's taken me 3 years but I've done a massive house and closet purge. The DH and I are getting ready to downsize in a year or so (though we've been saying that for quite awhile lol) so that's what got me started.

OMG, I don't have time for that! I'm super frugal about stuff. I coupon, I YNAB, I DIY, I'm super efficient. That's sort of what my blog is about: not paying full price/living frugally without sacrifice. That thread is a rabbit hole I'd never emerge from! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.