Noob Help! I need more dots!

Oct 3, 2011
Austin, Texas
So I have Sally Hansen "Carnival", it's really cool in the bottle and I just received an Influenster box with Sinful Colors "Ocean Side". The two were made to go together!

Here's the problem, I can get enough of the dots (confetti?) in the Carnival on the burst without a huge blob of the clear polish they are suspended in. So I have very few dots, and a whole bunch of clear polish that messes up my mani. :sad:

Is there some trick I don't know?? I neeeeeed to do this mani because it would look so awesome.

Help!!! Please.

PewPew

~ Red Fiend ~
Apr 27, 2014
Fishing for glitter is no fun. What helps me is to roll the inverted bottle btwn my hands. Then I'll keep the bottle upside down (ie in a shotglass I use for mixing polish, or just prop it with somthing). When ready to polish, open bottle & you'll have glitter stuck around the bottle neck. Use brush to scoop/swipe out the glitter & place on nail. :smile:

Oct 3, 2011
Austin, Texas
Fishing for glitter is no fun. What helps me is to roll the inverted bottle btwn my hands. Then I'll keep the bottle upside down (ie in a shotglass I use for mixing polish, or just prop it with somthing). When ready to polish, open bottle & you'll have glitter stuck around the bottle neck. Use brush to scoop/swipe out the glitter & place on nail. :smile:
Bottle is upside down now!!

Thanks for the tip! If I manage a cute mani, I'll post pictures!

kristinized

Jan 12, 2012
Minnesota, USA
I like to swirl my brush around the bottom and try to catch glitter that way. If that and turning the bottle upside down does work, you can always pour some polish out and place the dots on your nails with an orange stick. It sounds like the formula is off with that polish, it shouldn't be that hard.

Oct 3, 2011
Austin, Texas
Before I take it off:

photo.JPG

I'm going with "the formula is off"…There were literally NO dots on the brush when you let the excess clear drip off. I did my best, and put Seche over the top. Not sure you can tell but the Seche is protesting by shrinking AND it's like itty bitty waterbeds under my dry top coat.

Off it comes!!! Grrr!

But was I right about it being a CUTE summer mani?! lol

Oct 18, 2013
The Netherlands
Very cute summer mani. Maybe this is an idea for the future one I use with no-go glitters like these.

Paint on a piece of kitchen towel then use a dottingtool to scrape the glitter off and place those on your nails. Will be more work and might take some time but definatly quicker then fishing for sinking glitters.

PewPew

~ Red Fiend ~
Apr 27, 2014
Before I take it off:

View attachment 2667810

I'm going with "the formula is off"…There were literally NO dots on the brush when you let the excess clear drip off. I did my best, and put Seche over the top. Not sure you can tell but the Seche is protesting by shrinking AND it's like itty bitty waterbeds under my dry top coat.
Off it comes!!! Grrr!
But was I right about it being a CUTE summer mani?! lol
Oh cuuuute! I missed this earlier & see what you mean about the formula. When the base is thin & watery, I
don't bother "fishing"... What I do is shake it to get the dots suspended & then pour out small amount onto a piece of aluminum foil (You can fold/bend up the sides of the foil to make a little tray if you like). Then spread around & pick out what you like with your brush or a toothpick. It doesn't feel like wasting b/c otherwise I wouldn't use the polish :smile:

Oct 3, 2011
Austin, Texas
I will give it another go. Went to Sally's and got some polish thinner, and I think it worked. There are a lot more dots and much less goop.

However, that base polish is going in the trash!!! Upon removal, it stained the HECK out of my nails and cuticles! I looked like I'd been squishing Smurfs for two days after!! It was horrid! Tried with a base coat, without a base coat, same result. Grr. It is such a pretty color! :sad: