Non-zip bags

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I'm really paranoind about bags w/o zips and I usually avoid them, but there are so many lovely bags out there w/o zips that I feel like I'm excluding a whole range of bags because they don't have a zip. The bag might be open top or have a magnetic closure, in either case I feel like this type of bag is a target for thieves.

So do you have a preference, are you as paranoid as me about non-zip bags or don't you care?

2. Actually I prefer non-zip bags as i'm paranoid about zips going wrong! I have some bags with magnetic fastening and a mulberry with a turn lock closure which is secure. i wouldn't opt for a bag that has a gaping opening or completely open top though as that's just too much temptation for the thieves!

3. I am usually a zip-a-holic, but I just got myself a Prada hobo that has a messenger-style flap. The inside has a strong magnetic closure, then the flap goes over and secures with a push-lock clasp. My stuff isn't going anywhere.

4. I usually am not drawn to tote bags. I like the security of zippers or flaps.

5. I actually never really thought about it. I have bags of both types and I never think about how it closes as much as how it looks or the quality of the leather. That's a good question. Now I'm wondering why I never thought about how they close!:wondering

6. Im with Flyvetjo...

Every bag I own doesnt have zip closing, because once the zip is broken, the bag is ruined.
    All my bags have magentic button closures. :yes:

7. Wow- I am completely the opposite:nogood: I have bags with zipper closure, but rarely use the zipper! I have a toddler and like one hand access- not fumbling to zip & unzip, etc. I never feel that my bags are hanging open really, they always kind of naturally come together, make sense? I DO always push my wallet to the bottom and I've never had a problem (knock on wood :smile:

8. I have bags all ways: zip top, magnet closure, flap, completely open and even a combination of openings on a single bag. I find zippers the most annoying of all because I'm in and out of the bag a thousand times even when driving, so it's unzip, zip, unzip, zip verses, just reach in and grab (oh yeah, I guess that's what a thief does....:wtf:)!!:boxing:

9. i have friend who feels just like you and in a way I feel they are paranpoid :P

I keep thinking if you have some sort of closure then u should be ok. What I do with bags that open is that i keep all my belongings in a cloth sac that can be tightened at the top then my stuff won't fall out!

10. I prefer some kind of closure. Zippers are good, I like flapovers too. I had a few bags with no closure or just the magnetic one, and I can't count how many times I had to dig stuff out from the side of the passenger seat because bag contents flew out when I cornered (ok, I can also drive a little slower).

11. The reason why I ask is because I've found a bag I love, but can't get over the fact it only has a button to fasten the top (could be magnetic). It's Lena by Kooba in black.

I don't want to let the bag go but keep feeling I know I will feel insecure w/o a zip. I don't know what to do. Here's the link:

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod31580043&parentId=cat11310763&masterId=cat11310764&index=27&cmCat=cat000000cat980731cat6000734cat13090758cat11310764cat11310763

I've almost been pick-pocketed twice and I once saw a woman's purse get snatched, and another time I stopped a pick-pocket from pick-pocketing a tourist on the London underground!

Anyway, may be I'll just continue to look for my perfect handbag with a zip.

12. All but two of my bags have a zipper closure. I rarely close the zipper of my bags, unless I am in an unsafe area or there are lots of people around me.

My Chloe Gladys doesn't even have a magnetic closure, but it's a tote bag so it's not easy for thieves to reach into. My Miu Miu satchel has a magnetic closure, so the opening stays pretty tight.

13. My thoughts are this, no zipper, buckle or snap is going to deter a good thief. If he wants your wallet he will get it if the right opportunity should arise.

With that said, when I am traveling abroad or in highly touristed area, I literally hold onto my zipper pull on my bag or hold the top closed with my hand. Sometimes I don't even carry a bag in such places, putting the money in my bra or money belt or wear a small purse-on-a-string UNDER my blazer.

I have bags with closures of all kinds, often times my zippered tops are left open for easy access when I am just going about my home town.

14. My Gucci Pelham is wide open and I love it!! The only time I care about a zipper is when I'm travelling, then it is a must for me. I find that LV makes the most reliable zippers.

15. i'm usually paranoid too with non zip bags... but lately i purchased 3 chanel cabas, all are non zip bags but they have the snap on button which calmed me :P