Non-theists, convene!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was raised "religious", i.e. attendance at church every Sunday was mandatory. I also went to a private all-girls high school where we had to go to chapel three times a week and also had special religious services from time to time at the Episcopalean church across the street, and religion was part of the curriculum in middle school (6th-8th grades). But my sense of church-going in my family was, and still is, that it's more of a social thing than a spiritual thing. I myself am not particularily religious though I wish I were, a bit. I would like to believe...I'm just not 100% convinced, KWIM? So I guess that makes me agnostic.

i'm not religious anymore, but i do think i am spiritual. right now, i'm just trying to figure out what i believe in...i was raised catholic and i don't think i ever really "bought" the idea, even when i was younger. it just seemed a little off to me.

i pretty much figured out that my beliefs didn't line up with any religion- and i got tired of people telling me i was going to hell for every little thing i did wrong or for what i thought. i told myself i wouldn't believe in a god that would not allow me to think for myself.

i think maybe i'm just cynical.

I was raised in a very Catholic (Italian) family. FORCED to go to church every Sunday & Catholic School.

My very first issues with religion came one day while we were in class learning about Caine & Able. So the story goes (shortened version here;)):

God created Adam & Eve. They had 2 sons Caine & Able. Caine killes Able.

The very next paragraph in the bible then says something like..."and then Caine & his wife blah blah blah....." And I was like.....hmmmmm...where did the wife come from all of a sudden ??? I asked my (nun) teacher about this (I think I was 10 ??) and what was the response ?? A SLAP across my face :wtf: !!

From that moment on my belief in organized religion went downhill.:sad:

I went to NYU and minored in religion as I do find many aspects and the many different religions of the world fascinating. But to believe in one "God". Just can't do it. I also abhor the levels of hypocracy that some religious people stoop to. It's revolting:cursing:

As other posters mentioned above, my Mom STILL tries to get me to go to church when she comes & visits me:shame: and we still have our fair share of disagreements about religion.

I do believe there IS something, and I like EMILYK's post, I just don't know what that something is......:shrugs:

I do find religions usefull in the fact that I believe it does keep people "in line" for fear of going to hell & what not. I believe that there would be A LOT more crime if people didn't have their religions. I also think that religion gives people hope when they have nothing left to fall back on in their lives & that's OK with me. Better to have "hopeful" people than misery all around us because they have nothing to believe in or look forward to, kwim ??

I don't practice a specific religion. My mom is a different religion than my dad is, and they raised me to make up mind about which I would choose. The more I have learned about the worlds' various religions, the more I see that they have in common. I think that religion has a lot to offer people, but there has never been a belief system that I completely agreed with. So, I continue to learn and ask questions. Sometimes I'll attend mass / church / synagogue / temple with other people, so I don't think it's wrong to learn about other faiths even if you don't consider them "your own".

Funny. I was confused in my early teens. Born in Islam. Went to Catholic school in West Africa (Catholics always have the best schools). Had my best friend die from a stroke when I was 14. Reading the Quran one day and the bible & catechism the next. All this pushed me into a major in philosophy. My introduction to philosophy made me agnostic. Then I met an amazing Jewish philosopher ( Dr. Manekin) and I became a theist all over again.

I know how easy it is to become agnostic or atheist...

^Actually Roo..Political isnt allowed...Religion is OK..as long as there isnt any nastiness....KWIM?
Thanks!
JILL

Oops, I guess I was confused. I remember the following thread and Megs statement in it about her and Vlad not liking stuff that was political/religious when it was closed:

http://forum.purseblog.com/celebrity-section/mel-gibson-35040-7.html?highlight=jewish

"For the time being I am closing this thread. I need to read through it all and can not right now because I am at work. But I am getting many complaints, so the best thing for me to do right now is close it.

Please realize that this issue is one that many people will not agree with each other. This is why Vlad and I do not have a section about religion/politics. So keep it all in consideration that people have different opinions and beliefs- and you can not blame them. This thread steered away from it's original course- to merely discuss his DUI. Since the other is closed, I am closing this one for now too. Thanks everyone"

Status
Not open for further replies.