Non-responding/Non-paying bidders lately?

Lvbabydoll

O.G.
Mar 2, 2006
So I rarely ever have trouble selling on ebay but lately, I've had some annoying buyers!
Most always pay either right after the auction ends or the next day, or they've contacted me to let me know what day they'll pay.
But with THREE items lately, the buyers haven't paid or don't even respond when I email them!
My situations:
1- Buyer does a BIN on an item one night, doesn't pay after 4 days or contact me whatsoever. I email them twice, they only respond to the second email telling me they can no longer buy the item because their automatic garage door went out. Keep in mind it isn't even a pricey item.
2- Buyer wins item Sunday, hasn't paid or even contacted me to let me know when to expect their payment (but they placed their bid way early in the auction).
3- Buyer buys something from me on Bonanzle on Friday night. Hasn't paid or contacted me at all.

What is with this? I was just wondering if this has been happening to anyone else or whether I'm just "lucky" to get these buyers all of a sudden. :shrugs:
It's no big deal if they tell me when I can expect my payment, but when they win/buy my item then go silent, it's frustrating as I want to get these things out of here!

i must be "lucky" 2 then lol im getting all sorta replys like i cant pay yet because im sick wtf? if you can email me you can click on the pay now button no? also i started a thread about a lady who won an auction and another lady wanting to but it after the auction ended i told the second lady that it is sold and if the buyer does not pay i will sell it to her, anyways after 4 days i send the winner an email asking her if she still wants it and she replys with öoops i just paid sorry i thought i paid this like 3 days ago what the??? and another lady wanting me to reduce the price of postage after she won and the auction had ended she knew the price of the postage before she bid and when i said i cant reduce it she tells me she does not want the item wth??? not to worry because i just sold it to the second chance lady.

i know what its like lol

Just thinking out loud here -- maybe there are a lot of stressed, depressed people who want to feel better by "buying" things. Then reality sets in and they realize they can't pay.

I was stressed and depressed and went on a buying frenzy, can't really afford all that I racked up, but DID pay everyone. Maybe there's a lot of people out there right now who CAN'T pay, and should not have bid, y'know?

Virtually every chat board I frequent (except tPF, where the mods keep a tight rein on behaviour) is having all kinds of spats and attacks and negativity and name calling and and and....

Winter is coming, Christmas is coming, many people are already stressed about money, job, family. Just thinking out loud, y'know? Doesn't make it right, but it may be part of the problem.

^ Yes, ITA. :yes:

'It's the economy, stupid!'. :sad:

You know, it probably doesn't help that there so many 'bargains' (or things that look like amazing bargains, when you compare their BIN price with their overblown bubble pricetags, anyway!) about at the moment, either; so even though many people know they really shouldn't be buying anything, right now, they are even more tempted to hit BIN than they would otherwise be...

Last edited:
Yeah I totally understand the not being "able" to pay thing, I'm selling things myself to get more money. I've gotten lots of questions from people asking if I'll accept their payment at such and such a date because they don't get paid until then and I gladly accept.
My thing is that I would understand if they would let me know ASAP if they won't be able to pay, but I hate being left in the dark. If they aren't going to pay, I need to relist so I can sell it to someone who CAN pay! I don't sell very expensive items so it's not like they're buying $600 shoes and not being able to pay...it's like, a $10 lot of costume jewelry or a $20 doll. It's the lack of communication that bugs me.

It's the lack of communication that bugs me.

Shame, embarassment, lack of manners, poor upbringing, lack of consideration. Pick one (or more than one, in some cases).

I can't imagine how mortifying it would be to tell a seller "gee, sorry, I can't pay", whereas if things just run their course, sooner or later the seller WILL realize there's no payment coming. Again, not saying it is right, I despise non-paying/non-communicating bidders. Surely if you know on day 7 you can't pay, you knew on day 1 or day 2. IMHO the LEAST someone can do is contact the seller and tell them.

Sorry you are going through this! I've decided that in future I'll be requiring payment within 48 hours, or the item will be relisted. And if ebay slaps me, fine, but until they do, I'll be stating "48 hours" and I will then relist.

Lvbabydoll said:
Yeah I totally understand the not being "able" to pay thing, I'm selling things myself to get more money. I've gotten lots of questions from people asking if I'll accept their payment at such and such a date because they don't get paid until then and I gladly accept.
My thing is that I would understand if they would let me know ASAP if they won't be able to pay, but I hate being left in the dark. If they aren't going to pay, I need to relist so I can sell it to someone who CAN pay! I don't sell very expensive items so it's not like they're buying $600 shoes and not being able to pay...it's like, a $10 lot of costume jewelry or a $20 doll. It's the lack of communication that bugs me.

Yes, ITA that it's very rude not to contact you, at the very least. :tdown:

Maybe they feel ashamed to admit that they can't pay/need more time to pay, though?

Also, I think this recession is hitting lower to middle incomed people far harder, as their wages haven't kept up with inflation for well over a decade, now; so, now credit has been withdrawn/reduced, they've often been left stranded. :sad:

Businesses need to realise that if they want healthy sales and a healthy economy, in the future, they have to start paying their employees enough to be able to buy things. :yes:

It's the lower and middle-incomed that keep economies healthy, after all (as they spend a far higher proportion of their incomes); not the rich (but I'm really wandering off into economics, now, so I'll leave it at that!).

Last edited:
This has happened to me three times in the past two weeks! It's extremely annoying when I keep sending invoices and messages without replies.

In my listing, I usually ask winners to pay within 24 hours, but personally, I assume that by 24 hours without any indication or notice from them, they won't pay. BLARGH. I only wish people were more upfront about whether they will be paying or not. It would save me time from waiting around when I could relist the item.

I've only had one non-paying buyer in the last 30 days (a newbie who went on a buying spree and happened to come across my FP listing - the ONLY one on which I forgot to set the Immediate Payment REQUIRED feature).

Still, cheer up. Better a non responsive buyer than someone who buys, realises they can't afford it and forces you to accept a refund through a false SNAD, right? :rolleyes:

peski- Oh blah, I know.
Thank goodness I've never had anyone file an SNAD dispute.

But anyway, still no emails from anyone...I emailed the 2 current NPBs asking when I can expect their payment and if they no longer can purchase the item to let me know so I can relist.

That actually reminds me...
I filed claim to cancel the transaction on the first item I mentioned when the buyer said they couldn't pay. The buyer chose to ignore that for 4 days until I emailed them again asking if they could PLEASE accept the transaction cancellation so I could get my $10 in fees back. I mean, I know I still could have gotten it back if they wouldn't have responded, but if you say you can't pay and the seller acknowledges it, why would you ignore the cancellation request? Geesh.

I'm probably just rambling, I don't mean to upset or offend anyone but it's just annoying sometimes, especially when some of the items I'm selling are not for myself, but for other people who are counting on that money.

I think the increase in NPB happenned more due to the removal of the ability for sellers to leave neg FB for buyers, and then the ecomony has probably exacerbated this situation

That actually reminds me...
I filed claim to cancel the transaction on the first item I mentioned when the buyer said they couldn't pay. The buyer chose to ignore that for 4 days until I emailed them again asking if they could PLEASE accept the transaction cancellation so I could get my $10 in fees back. I mean, I know I still could have gotten it back if they wouldn't have responded, but if you say you can't pay and the seller acknowledges it, why would you ignore the cancellation request? Geesh.

Just file the NPB. It has become really easy these days. Just four days and voila, you can relist. Also, it does not require any cooperation from the buyer. I have just done mine and was able to relist within a week, not two weks like before.

Also, I have noticed that for my auctions (bags / shoes / clothes) everybody pays up within the first 48-60 hours. For auctions ending on Sunday, I am done with payments by Tuesday night. Some international customers pay well into Wednesday morning, what with time differences and deciding on shipping methods. Even the stragglers usually send e-mails (invariably demanding cheaper shipping, natch) by Tuesday night.

Those who don't pay within the first 48 are the deadbeats, right there. I now file the NPB on them on Thursday and re-list on Sunday.

p-WA

Those who don't pay within the first 48 are the deadbeats, right there. p-WA

Agreed.

There has only been once occasion that I can remember where the buyer has paid after filing the NPB - the day before I could close the claim and recover my fees, of course :rolleyes:

This same buyer then emailed me and asked if I could ship right away as she needed it urgently. OMG, I had to tie my hands behind my back to keep from sending off a scathing email about her paying late.

I wouldn't be surprised if she dinged my stars just to get even for forcing her to pay.

Manners are manners. Even, if the economy is bad, you can have the decency of sending an email and explain your situation. And, if you are sending the email to cancel the transaction, then there is no excuse.
Bad economy is not excuse.