Non-Paying bidders

May 22, 2007
I hate the fact that you have to wait 7 days to even file one, especially after day 4 goes by and you get the idea that the winning bidder has no intention of paying due to the lack of communication. Promised payment, blah, blah, then no response for the past 5 days. So my question is, can I relist it now or do I really have to wait those additional 8 days that eBay gives the buyer to respond to the NPB?

I've had to deal with this twice. After I send out an invoice and then 2 follow up e-mails and have waited at least 5 days I will go ahead and re-list. If the buyer hasn't responded to any of my e-mails by then, they are not going to, and neither one did. It's up to you though if you want to wait.

I just had an NPB a few weeks ago. I didn't get the chance to relist the item and as soon as I filed NPB, she paid, so I sent her the item. It saved me the hassle of relisting. So I guess you never know.

You can relist the item whenever you want but I think if the person pays you she can go after you for being a non-performing seller. Go figure!

Yeah I had this issue recently too. I sold a bag and the buyer paid with echeque. He then e-mailed 5 days later to say there was a problem with the cheque and could I refund it (before it cleared) and he would pay again. I did this and then he disappeared! No payment or communication followed. As his communication was very poor I had a hunch he wanted 'out' of paying. I relisted the bag and it sold before the required 8 days - but I was right he never paid or communicated and just took his non-payment strike!

I've been so unlucky recently, I've had 2 non-paying bidders. One had the gall to offer a lower price than the bid they placed!! I am right now waiting the 7 days for the dispute to end so I can recover my FVFs.

2 NPBs lately. I usually give them the 7 days then file NPB right away. That's their notification from me it's their last chance to pay.

It is so annoying - sometimes I sell an expensive bag so I can buy another one and hate waiting around for payment. Its typical that a bag that I desperately want turns up on e-bay just as I am waiting around for a slow paying bidder - in my experience if a bidder hasn't paid within 72 hours they are not likely too - especially if I have had no communication from them. I always make sure I pay immediately myself as I know how frustrating it is for sellers.

I do not understand why there are non-paying bidders. It seems simple enough to understand the contractual obligations when you press the Submit Bid button.

I have been a 'buying-only' eBay member (with perfect feedback) for about two years. It would never cross my mind to not pay for an item, which I needed to actively pursue and engage in a bidding war to win. I always ensure I pay, if not immediately after the auction, within a few hours of winning.

Why do people bid on items they never intended on purchasing? :confused1:

Don't Want? Don't Bid!

I wish everybody was as considerate you, Chu. Unfortunately, there are many rude buyers that don't pay. It's not only rude, it cost sellers time and money! I always pay immediately after I buy something. I would never make people wait.

I believe according to ebay rules, you cannot post the item until the process is complete. However, since ebay doesn't do anything about it, there aren't any repercussions, so it is entirely up to you. Worst case scenario is that you sell the item to someone else and then get payment from the initial buyer - you simply return their payment - however, as you know, buyers can leave negative feedback but sellers cannot - was it a zero feedback buyer? If so, then you should be okay to relist right away. If not, either send a mutual withdrawal or wait to relist.

I think a lot of people still think that the Internet is anonymous and that they can hide or get away and do things out of boredom or to test how it feels like... and sometimes I wonder if it is not just kids who hacked into an account or pretend to be adult!

yeah npb is an annoying problem on ebay. with ebay's rules, no buyer/bidder takes ebay seriously. so if you don't pay, you get a "strike." big deal. 3 strikes, you're banned. so what? just create another account.

ebay should force users to submit bank account information/credit card information upon sign up and once someone bids and wins an auction, ebay/paypal should auto debit/charge the user's account. if they don't have enough balance/credit, then they'll have to face overdraft charges and over limit fees. sellers shouldn't have to wait for the buyer to gather enough funds to pay for an item or when the buyer feels like paying. there has to be real consequences of not paying, not just superficial strikes. impose a fee on the buyer if they do not pay, at least to cover the seller listing fees. it's sad that money is the only factor that'll drive people to act and respond. buyers need to realize this isn't a game.

i understand ebay is trying to preserve a "traditional" auction process where the highest bidder pays later; however, sellers are not protected legally at all if the highest bidder does not pay, unlike traditional auctions. ebay just preaches about bidding being a legal contract, blah, blah, but it really isn't.

Last edited:
I also think it is so frustrating that ebay doesn't disclose who has a non paying bidder strike! As sellers can not leave neg feedback for buyers that do not pay sellers have no way of knowing a buyers true ebay history. If sellers could see if a buyer has 1/2 strikes against them for non-paying it would allow sellers to make an educated decision as to whether to sell to them or not!

I just had a non paying bidder also-this is SO frustrating b/c I post in my auctions that you must have at least 5 FB to bid. This person bid with 1 FB and now isn't paying!! In addition, the item is designer and I may have to wait 30 days to RELIST (b/c of selling limits). There has got to be a better way!!!