Non hermes birkins/kellys

aerinha

Feb 26, 2012
USA
I love the look of birkins and kellys, but cannot afford to pay that much for a purse. Nor am I willing to buy a bunch of over priced stuff I dont want in hopes that one day a minumum wage worker will decide to offer me whatever bag has been collecting dust in the back and expect me to jump at spending $9,000 or more on it for the "honor" of owning a real H bag.

For the record i owned on genuine Hermes kelly and while it was a nice bag, the heavens didn't open and shine unicorns down on me because I owned it.:P.

I will not buy fakes, but i am not opposed to "style" bags. To me there is no difference Between a birkin style bag and buying a prom dress based on an Oscar gown. Similar, but there are differences.

Anyway...

I am the proud owner of three Birkin style bags (2 real ostrich, one plain leather) and am waiting on my custom ordered kelly from Cellerini in Italy. One of my birkins came from there and i adore it. Planning a visit when i go to Florence this summer.

Anyone else love the look, but not care about the name and want to talk bags?

Reactions: GH68

Juliemvis

Sep 17, 2012
london
I total agree I do not want to dance to a tune for a jumped up sales assistant to sell me a bag that's costs a fortune , I have a handful of small mulberry bags which are all pre loved I couldn't bring myself to pay full price

ladysarah

O.G.
Jul 17, 2008
ladysarahinlondon
I agree with you there - a lot of people would not be able recognise the quality if it hit them on the head with a sledge hammer, but they love the perceived kudos. so tiresome...Kelly style bags are always popular. Picket has an excellent quality line - plus you can customize it with contrasting suede lining. gold or silver hardware, initials etc... http://www.pickett.co.uk/shop/leathe...ags/Alice-Bag/ these are still quite expensive but have integrity...

Reactions: GH68

aerinha

Feb 26, 2012
USA
I agree with you there - a lot of people would not be able recognise the quality if it hit them on the head with a sledge hammer, but they love the perceived kudos. so tiresome...Kelly style bags are always popular. Picket has an excellent quality line - plus you can customize it with contrasting suede lining. gold or silver hardware, initials etc... http://www.pickett.co.uk/shop/leathe...ags/Alice-Bag/ these are still quite expensive but have integrity...
I was looking at those. Gorgeous!

slowlikehoney

Feb 12, 2012
Wheaton, IL
Yes! I'm with you! Love the style of both bags and though I have a great deal of respect for Hermes as a company, I could never justify paying that kind of money for a bag. Especially if it would be next to impossible to get exactly what I wanted. I'd love to see a reveal of your bags.

Feb 18, 2013
Nottingham / London
Also, was looking at the link you posted. Do you think bag status is still important? Considering that bag is a dupe of a classic - would you still feel special carrying that bag even though its not the real thing?

Harpertoo

Feb 5, 2013
Europe
I don't feel like H owns the shape, but I get uncomfortable when the hardware appears precisely the same on other bags.
Moynat has some very lovely, elegant bags. I love the simplicity.

Reactions: Precious84

foxgal

O.G.
Jul 22, 2010
Canada
mobsworldtravel.blogspot.ca
For the record i owned on genuine Hermes kelly and while it was a nice bag, the heavens didn't open and shine unicorns down on me because I owned it.:P.
^^ Too funny - I totally get what you mean! :roflmfao: No bag is going to make life miraculously better.

That said, I have to say that most of Cellerini's designs are just a bit too close to H for me to be comfortable. I'm all good with "inspired-by", but it just crosses a line when it looks like a copy with all the same design elements, shapes and hardware.

To me, the main elements of a Birkin are the shape, the double handles, the flap cover, and with the Kelly - the single round top handle on the flap, the shoulder strap, the triangle shape. There are TONS of bags that have similar elements without exactly copying the circle turn-lock and straps.

Reed Krakoff's Boxer is (IMHO) the one of the best Birkin-like totes, while being totally original.

Tebus

Jun 3, 2011
It's an old bag, but the Luella Giselle is a similar style, but it has adorable details like heart shaped grommets. I bet you could find one on eBay for a great price.