Workplace No work friends

Aug 14, 2006
If you don't have anyone at work that you socialize with, or people who work close by, what do you do on your lunch break?

I admit that I'm a total loner at work. I used to have people that I would chat with throughout the day and go for lunch with, but in the past 8 months we have gone through so many changes that everyone I was friends with has either been laid off or quit.

Side note - I don't care that I don't have work friends, I actually kind of prefer it, and I have no intention of changing my situation while I am still with this company. I think some people think I'm kind of a weirdo for not socializing but I'm 100% ok with them thinking that!

During the Summer I have been able to go for walks or sit outside and read a book, catch up on social media, etc, but now that the weather is starting to turn, that's no longer an option. I bring my lunch most of the time so I don't need to go eat somewhere, but it would be nice to get away from my desk throughout the day. My job is the kind of job where I don't ever need to leave my desk, so I have to make an effort to leave at lunch.

Is there a quiet room or space somewhere where you can read a book or magazine while you eat your lunch? I've done this when I just need to get away from my desk and don't fancy talking to anyone.

Is there a quiet room or space somewhere where you can read a book or magazine while you eat your lunch? I've done this when I just need to get away from my desk and don't fancy talking to anyone.

Unfortunately, no. We have a restaurant in the building but you can only sit there if you are purchasing from them.

Unfortunately, no. We have a restaurant in the building but you can only sit there if you are purchasing from them.

That's a shame.

There may well be new colleagues who you'll end up going out for lunch with on occasion. It can take a while for everyone to settle in when there have been lots of staff changes.

And if you are eating lunch at your desk every now and then you can always make sure you aren't doing work at the same time. Not always easy, I know!

That's a shame.

There may well be new colleagues who you'll end up going out for lunch with on occasion. It can take a while for everyone to settle in when there have been lots of staff changes.

And if you are eating lunch at your desk every now and then you can always make sure you aren't doing work at the same time. Not always easy, I know!

It'll be a long time before we get any new colleagues, the company is in a constant state of downsizing right now with no end in sight.

I think I need to start bringing a book or a magazine so that I'm not tempted to work during lunch.

I usually go out for a walk

That's what I've been doing too, but as the weather gets worse I won't be able to anymore. I find it's the best way to break up the day!

I'm in a similar situation and my co-workers are lovely people but, for me, lunch/breaks are to stop thinking about work, which includes my co-workers. I read a lot but I really like doing hobbies during my break: duolingo to learn a new language, researching travel destinations, shopping, or just learning a new recipe. Sometime I guess I feel awkward for not being more social, but my self-improvement is important to me.

Reactions: Bratty1919
I work in a hospital at first I would go to the restaurant but now I just eat at my desk. I'm quiet with my work colleagues as I don't really know them well enough to be myself. Also I am only there for another 5 months. Is there any like social lunch groups at your place of work?

I'm in a similar situation and my co-workers are lovely people but, for me, lunch/breaks are to stop thinking about work, which includes my co-workers. I read a lot but I really like doing hobbies during my break: duolingo to learn a new language, researching travel destinations, shopping, or just learning a new recipe. Sometime I guess I feel awkward for not being more social, but my self-improvement is important to me.

I definitely agree with this! I don't do anything self-improvement related at lunch, but keeping my sanity far outweighs any awkwardness I might feel. I think I'm going to look into hobbies or something else I can do at lunch.

I work in a hospital at first I would go to the restaurant but now I just eat at my desk. I'm quiet with my work colleagues as I don't really know them well enough to be myself. Also I am only there for another 5 months. Is there any like social lunch groups at your place of work?

At least you know it's short term, that always helps :smile: There's no social lunch groups here that I know of, but being completely honest, I have no interest in forming any kind of social relationship with anyone who is left here.

Awe, it doesn't get too bad here. Just lots of rain. I like walking in the rain with a pair of rainboots and a large umbrella. It's relaxing.

That does sound relaxing!

Reactions: Bratty1919
Are you in a large building? Can you go to a different floor? You could also buy a soda at the restaurant and quietly eat your lunch. If it's not a restaurant with servers. I am envisioning a cafeteria.

For the longest time I would go out and eat...or go to the backroom but rarely because I like being by myself (I would totally be down for HH or hotpot and have gone out with them...thankful they understand lunch time is a time i need by myself).

But than for a period i needed to save more so I actually found an area in the copy/supplies room that is very rarely visited by anyone (re:never, we have another copier/printer/supplies room).

I would hop onto the counter in the corner (feet off anything) and just chill there will lunch I bring and my headphones.

Maybe you could find somewhere...that's comfy and no one goes to to just have your space during lunch.

I have been here 18 years and I'm just not the type that is a big work "socializer." I'm more of a loner, as you said. I occasionally go to lunch with a coworker or 2, but typically I just eat at my desk or will use my lunch hour to run errands.

I would suggest bringing something to occupy yourself while you eat - a book, crossword, ipad/nook, magazine, etc. Do you have an office door you can close for that hour? Or is there a quiet space somewhere else in the building you can go sit & eat? If not, I would say leave the building completely if possible. There is a small park close by my office where I sometimes go park my car & eat. I realize that may not be possible depending if you use public transport or what's close by your office.

I know one of my coworkers goes out to the parking lot & sits in her car during her lunch hour. I think she usually eats a sandwich & reads a book, but at least she is getting a break away from her desk.