No Waiting List? Cheaper Birkins?

Yes I agree the waitlist thing is a bummer. ESPECIALLY when you order a bag thinking it costs around X$$$ and then when it arrives it costs Y$$$$$$$$$. I could do without waitlists and price hikes. I wouldn't mind cheaper Birkins (which would still be expensive of course... but cheaper....)

Eric, will you go for the 45 with long or short handles?

I would like to get a 45 Birkin with longer handles so that I can put them on the shoulder. I rarely do this but there ARE times I wish I could hike my Birkin up my arm so I could grab a hold of something else - like groceries or God Forbid, my gym bag or some other equally un-glam thing. Yet, I'm torn - as I do love how much more sleek it would look if it had short handles. I think a short handled Birkin would be my preference at the end of the day - a long handled bag would be too feminine. I'm already too much of a queen as it is. If I was a woman, I'd consider the shoulder birkin but I am so against slouchy bags. I have the large Tod's Girelli which I adore for it's wonderful texture, grain and smell. But I don't use it as much because it flops and slouches. The bags are so expensive in KL...... my last Birkin was 33,600 Malaysian Ringgit. The rate of exchange is 3.6 to 1 US Dollar. Sigh.....what's a working class queen like myself to do?

It's wonderful using Hermes in Penang. Very few people use it........and people look at it and it's nice to see them admiring the bag for it's fabulously simple lines and wonderful construction and workmanship and don't know what it is. Prices go UP from 1st january!! Buy buy buy!

Attachments

• Photo 39.jpg
    Photo 39.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 54
Peko, yeah I think that's what he means. So buy up everything on your "list" now, lol!

Eric, $33600 Ringgits:wtf:... was that for a 35 Birkin or 40?

Sue, that price quote might make you Aussies feel a bit better about being slugged for Hermes in Oz. :sad:

I figure the premium for Hermes in Asia is about 25% over buying it at the mothership. How do Oz prices compare?

I say buy buy buy too, albeit vicariously. I'm on the H-Anon subscription list....:angel:

Eric I agree with your assessment on the long shoulder handles.
I am sure you have mulled this over yourself but - how would a Bolide suit you??? You would have the shoulder strap that you could use as you please.

Depending on which size and leather Eric was referring to.. I think we're on par with that, if not a bit worse?? I'm not 100%. But I was just thinking, dollar for dollar, $33.6Ks for a non-exotic Birkin...:Push: Could just about get 3 30's here.

I was thinking of joining the H-Anon group in Nov.. but I dunno if it's possible seeing as how Kristie and I, and probably Xquisite will be hitting the store together.:sweatdrop:

Depending on which size and leather Eric was referring to.. I think we're on par with that, if not a bit worse?? I'm not 100%. But I was just thinking, dollar for dollar, $33.6Ks for a non-exotic Birkin...:Push: Could just about get 3 30's here.

I was thinking of joining the H-Anon group in Nov.. but I dunno if it's possible seeing as how Kristie and I, and probably Xquisite will be hitting the store together.:sweatdrop:

Just had to whip out my mobile phone to use the calculator.

Ringgit 33,600 = USD 9,833
Which is very steep for a non-exotic Birkin, regardless of size. :cursing: I know in Malaysia there's a duty/tax on leather goods somewhere around 21%, so Malaysian prices would be higher than the rest of Asia. I think there's talk this duty will be lifter, if it hasn't been lifted already.

I haven't checked non exotic prices of Birkies in Singapore, but I estimate region of SGD 13,000 = USD 8,125 (v. ballpark, for 35cm), based on Kelly px and px on exotic B's.

Maybe you can join H-Anon in Jan?? Post racing season and christmas.

RM33,600 was for a 40cm Coromandel Birkin. It was so expensive.......I want a croco for my 29th Birthday but SO won't even discuss it. And the thing is, I can't even afford a non-exotic without SO's help. Why why why couldn't I just stick to Prada? Why did I have to discover the beauty of Hermes....maybe I should ust go and work for them as an SA. :crybaby:

Thanks so much SS and 2703, And yes, there would be no money. I'd spend it all. I'd end up lookish quite the waif - what with the heavy bags & totes and only enough money for soya-milk!

But think of all the bags I'd have....and I'm pretty sure an SA gets a bit off of the price. But in a store like hermes, even 5% staff discounts can amount to a huge sum!

No more Birkins/HACS for me, sigh. Just ordered the palladium keychain with charms. They're fedexing it to me now....can't wait. Something to dangle on my lil' bags - until I get the Victoria GM tote!!! There's one in the KLCC boutique in chevre and cheval and it's in a TDF colour - Etaupe! If darling BHalf doesn't get that, I might have to put it on my card! Arrgh!

this is a good question....my hubby asked me before:confused1: ..i think YES ,but maybe not so many ,cuz when the price cheaper ,we will see all BIRKINS on the street,and not any more exclusive,i think i love the things UNIQUE:wlae:

The exclusivity of Birkins is what 'turns me on'. I went into Hermes last week and they told me that the wait list was closed here in the UK. I don't care about any other bags now, I just want birkins, and I can't get hold of any.