"No Toys Please" on bday invite

guccilove

@rachlovesfm
O.G.
Jul 23, 2007
California
my son is turning 1 next month and we're throwing him a bday party. i know that a lot of people don't think this is right and please don't attack me for even considering it but because of the lack of space in my small house, i really would rather not get any toys for him for his birthday. a lot of you might say that i can't assume that people will be giving gifts, but in our culture, that is just how it is. it is almost required even. and the thing is, i do welcome gifts, i'm just concerned about getting so much toys and not having enough space in my already cluttered house for them. even though i already know that it really does seem tacky to be putting this on the invite, i do still want to know your thoughts. i hope i haven't offended or aggravated anyone with my question. just kindly asking for thoughts and opinions. :shame: thanks for reading!

Dec 14, 2006
NYC
Well I think for children's birthday parties a present is sort of the norm, so I would just go ahead and assume everyone will be bringing a present, especially since it's his first birthday. I don't think it's poor etiquette to ask for no toys. Although I would maybe specify no big presents because people might think of toys as "play" items and show up with some huge learning/educational thing that will take up your living room.

digby723

Back to reality
May 2, 2006
NOVA
I don't know, if I were to get an invite for my child to a party and it said "no toys" I don't know what I would bring!! If you say no toys, you are most likely going to be getting a lot of clothes then!

caitlin1214

tPF Bish
O.G.
Jul 7, 2006
Toronto
www.facebook.com
I think you can say "No gifts, please" but I don't think it's polite to say "No toys, please."

And if people bring toys, who says you have to keep them all? Donate some to a children's hospital/charity.

If you don't want them to bring anything, you can put on the invitation, "In lieu of gifts, please make a donation to . . . . "

kimberf

Loves the Lindy!
O.G.
Mar 8, 2007
California
I had the same thought as Caitlin at first, that "no gifts, please" would be fine, but I wasn't so sure about "no toys, please." My first thought was, "Well, what else do you want? Money? For a one year old?"

Then I realized -- books could be a nice alternative that I wouldn't think was tacky at all!! I would either say "no gifts, please" or say that you're building his library and ask people to bring their favorite children's book. You have the same option of donating the duplicates to charity or the library.

guccilove

@rachlovesfm
O.G.
Jul 23, 2007
California
thanks everyone, you guys got some great ideas! i think i wont put that anymore on my invite, and for the toys he doesn't like, i'll just donate them.

i really appreciate your input!!

guccilove

@rachlovesfm
O.G.
Jul 23, 2007
California
o yes, for sure i'll be sending thank you notes to everyone that comes =)

kimberf, yes exactly, that's what i don't want people to think, that i'm expecting them to give money, because it's not that at all. but by putting 'no toys please', some people will definitely interpret it as that. so it really is better not to put that on the invite at all. thanks.... =)

twochubbycheeks

..just KEEP swimming
Aug 18, 2007
Actually, I did indicate "no toys please" on my DD's 2nd bday party invitation. We were back in the States for my DD's bday and for the Holidays as well. I wanted to put that message ("No Toys Please") because it will be hard for me to bring all those bulky toys back home (hubby and the rest of our family are in a diff country - hubby in the Service). So to avoid those extra baggage, I thought it would be better to put that in there - in the invitation.

I don't think it's impolite to put that in there especially nowadays, that almost everyone is trying to be practical about all of things. In my case, my family and friends would always ask me what I want my child to get for her bday, Christmas, etc. So, but put it out there, it will give them an idea what we want/need for her. I indicated on the invites also what her clothes and shoe size is so they're aware of what size to her in case they're planning of giving her clothes or shoes.

Basically, it's how well you know your family and friends. If you think they will take it the wrong way by you putting on the invites what you prefer your child to receive for his/her bday, then don't indicate anything at all regarding the gifts you want him/her to receive. BUT if your family and friends are really cool and much rather prefer that your child receives something that he/she will truely use or make use for in the future, by all means, indicate the items you (as parent/s) want for your child or what your child is interested in.

Sternchen

O.G.
May 16, 2006
Bavaria, Germany
My daughter will be a year old at the end of the month, and we just let everyone know that if they chose to bring a gift, please have it be a non-toy one. Everybody seemed fine with it :smile:

Dec 4, 2006
Arizona
Lately, I have seen a the "No Toys Please". I also had one where it said "(Child's name) wears a size 3T" My sister was recently tempted to put in my nieces "In lieu of toys, please consider books" But I talked her out of it. I agree that it would be nice to get more books and less toys, but I just think that its too tacky because if someone really wants to get a toy, it is their prerogative. Oh, but keep in mind that the main reason that I thought that was tacky was because it wasn't the family party, but the friends from school party.

I understand your dilemma though. Half of what my son got for his birthday party, were toys that he isn't even interested in - By that I mean that they were too babyish for him at this point. I will probably donate them around Christmas time to a Toys for Tots drive of some sort. In the meantime, more clutter in my house:smile:

glamgirl84

Sep 10, 2007
I agree, I dont think you should put "no toys please." People are bringing gifts out of the goodness of their hearts and it seems rude to tell them what kind of gift is ok or not ok. I think it would definitely annoy a few people, or at least make them uncomfortable, and who needs that at a childs bday party.

guccilove

@rachlovesfm
O.G.
Jul 23, 2007
California
there really is a lot of mixed responses on this one. but just to be on the safe side, i've decided not to put it on my invite. like glamgirl said, who wants to have all that 'drama' on a child's bday party. i'll just have to assume that a lot of people will be offended by it....:shrugs:

thank you guys...