No more authenticity cards?

So bottom line is, the microchip isn't really a scannable chip, and it's just a fancy piece of metal? Darn, well that doesn't really give any peace of mind, even if I were to take a pre-loved bag to an authenticator. And even then, I have to wonder how accurate is visual inspection of the microchip...

Reactions: CrazyCool01
I’m just wondering if anyone has brought their chanel bag with microchip to a Chanel boutique and have it scanned? It’s been months since they released the microchip thing but there aren’t many information on how we can have these bags authenticated. I have recently bought mine from a personal shopper and even if i received the entire package that comes with the bag, I was hoping to have it authenticated since I heard even superfakes have chips now. Please share any experience/information about this, if you have heard any. Thanks!

It is not a microchip. It is a simple metal plate with a number on it. But on the invoice the number on the metal plate is mentioned therefore it is important that you get the invoice with the bag. As far as I know that was not the case before.

Reactions: bergafer3
It is not a microchip. It is a simple metal plate with a number on it. But on the invoice the number on the metal plate is mentioned therefore it is important that you get the invoice with the bag. As far as I know that was not the case before.
That means the authenticity card is now "replace" by the invoice? while the metal plate "acts like" the hologram sticker? So if buying the new Chanel bag secondhand, has to have both, if not resale value be affected?

Years ago I bought a Burberry purse that has some sort of RFID in it or something. I'm told that if I take it to any boutique in London, they can scan it and it will show facts about the purse. I've never tried it though.

That means the authenticity card is now "replace" by the invoice? while the metal plate "acts like" the hologram sticker? So if buying the new Chanel bag secondhand, has to have both, if not resale value be affected?
If I would consider buying something preloved than I would always ask for the invoice. With both it it easier to proof.

Yes agreed! Am scared Chanel will eventually say “warranty only for original owners” - their new way is cutting off resellers and if they say warranty only for original owners then people will buy less pre loved (with chip) !

just my opinion!

Just thinking , if they do that, ppl may overall buy less bags or whatever (more thinking, less impulse buy) as they are no longer as confident of selling off as before.

At least it would be the case for me, if i know my bags would be hard to resell down the road

They switched from authenticity cards to square golden metal tags inside your purse (that can be scanned to verify the authenticity) in June 2021. The code on your metal tag corresponds with the code on the tag attached to the purse.

Reactions: Hemp8
They switched from authenticity cards to square golden metal tags inside your purse (that can be scanned to verify the authenticity) in June 2021. The code on your metal tag corresponds with the code on the tag attached to the purse.
Got cha. So I should look for the bag's tag. Lol. I checked and my last purchase was 2020. No wonder.... thank you

I’m just wondering if anyone has brought their chanel bag with microchip to a Chanel boutique and have it scanned? It’s been months since they released the microchip thing but there aren’t many information on how we can have these bags authenticated. I have recently bought mine from a personal shopper and even if i received the entire package that comes with the bag, I was hoping to have it authenticated since I heard even superfakes have chips now. Please share any experience/information about this, if you have heard any. Thanks!
So true! Even the superfakes have chips now, and i saw video on youtube or somewhere, the superfakes microchip plates looks really identical to the authentic, and btw, it is not a microchip, it is just a metal plate with a code.

Last edited:
Yeah sadly even with price increases it’s just a piece of metal with a number.

for me personally I miss the old cards and holograms. Somehow it felt more special but moreso I think the new set up is ugly and takes too much space in my bag. If it was flat I wouldn’t be that mad but it occasionally catches and without any technology, it feels useless and irritating. That said it does sound like it will make it harder to replicate / easier to authenticate for now
I don't think it's harder to replicate the look of the metal tags called microchips, many superfakes already made an identical metal tag, that's not surprising, i have one bag with metal tag and now i much prefer chanel bag with holo sticker and auth card :sad:

Last edited: