No more authenticity cards?

I am a vintage buyer. I saw Chanel microchip bag and was not keen at all bcos only Chanel can scan the bags to check for us, but why should Chanel do it for us? There is no financial benefit in doing so.

Some Youtubers mentioned that Chanel may themselves open a resale shop for clients whom want to sell their used bags. This may be good news? As potential buyers can guarantee that the bags they bought are authentic. The uncertainty is - how much these resale bags will be priced? I guess the resale price won't be far from the retail ones from the boutique.

The microchip enables it easier to fake Chanel bags in the second hand market (not under Chanel's resale boutique) since only Chanel can scan for us. This will increase the value of the bags with holograms and authenticity cards as buyers would rather have a peace of mind. However with time, vintage bags may lost their authenticity cards and holograms come off, this will also result in price increase for vintage bags in full set.

There will be 2 sections of the resale market-Chanel resale boutique VS the general resellers eg Fashionphile, TRR etc. Many buyers will sell their bags at the general resellers' as Chanel can track down buyers' information, found out you are a frequent flipper at the Chanel resale boutique you may have trouble acquiring new bags. This in turn drive up the price for bags with holograms and authenticity cards again.

The above is just a guess. But right now I still prefer a peace of mind with hologram and authenticity card.

I am a vintage buyer. I saw Chanel microchip bag and was not keen at all bcos only Chanel can scan the bags to check for us, but why should Chanel do it for us? There is no financial benefit in doing so.

Some Youtubers mentioned that Chanel may themselves open a resale shop for clients whom want to sell their used bags. This may be good news? As potential buyers can guarantee that the bags they bought are authentic. The uncertainty is - how much these resale bags will be priced? I guess the resale price won't be far from the retail ones from the boutique.

The microchip enables it easier to fake Chanel bags in the second hand market (not under Chanel's resale boutique) since only Chanel can scan for us. This will increase the value of the bags with holograms and authenticity cards as buyers would rather have a peace of mind. However with time, vintage bags may lost their authenticity cards and holograms come off, this will also result in price increase for vintage bags in full set.

There will be 2 sections of the resale market-Chanel resale boutique VS the general resellers eg Fashionphile, TRR etc. Many buyers will sell their bags at the general resellers' as Chanel can track down buyers' information, found out you are a frequent flipper at the Chanel resale boutique you may have trouble acquiring new bags. This in turn drive up the price for bags with holograms and authenticity cards again.

The above is just a guess. But right now I still prefer a peace of mind with hologram and authenticity card.
Apparently it’s not a microchip it’s just a plaque with a code that they can type in. There’s no scanning. I saw I think her name is zeko, she authenticates using a microscope on the engraved plaques.

Apparently it’s not a microchip it’s just a plaque with a code that they can type in. There’s no scanning. I saw I think her name is zeko, she authenticates using a microscope on the engraved plaques.
Thanks for the useful information. Do you think data will be lost if Chanel's blockchain system break down or if its been hacked?

Thanks for the useful information. Do you think data will be lost if Chanel's blockchain system break down or if its been hacked?
That’s a great question, I don’t know. Time will tell, Technology is always changing so I prefer the old way better. I did just buy from fashionphile a 2021 bag with the plaque. I looked up on chanel.com the Chanel and Moi 5 year warranty and you have to have the sales receipt that has the code on it. so I don’t understand the point of the blockchain stuff if you still Need a receipt, shouldn’t that just be in the system?

That’s a great question, I don’t know. Time will tell, Technology is always changing so I prefer the old way better. I did just buy from fashionphile a 2021 bag with the plaque. I looked up on chanel.com the Chanel and Moi 5 year warranty and you have to have the sales receipt that has the code on it. so I don’t understand the point of the blockchain stuff if you still Need a receipt, shouldn’t that just be in the system?
I guess the microchipped bag will only benefit its original owner whom kept her receipt, if one day should she need to repair her bag.

Only Chanel is able to scan the plaque to retrieve information, so I guess the Zeko authenticator can only verify the authenticity of the bag by the craftmanship of the bag and the plaque? Eventually authentication by a 3rd party is still the same as in the past-through visual inspection and feeling of the material.

But if one day the data inside the plaque is lost, then how? There will not be any recourse for the buyers to prove its authenticity? I still feel safer having black and white hard copy in hand (hologram and authenticity card).

Reactions: bergafer3
My Chanel SA , told me when you purchase your new bag the registration to Chanel & Moi can only be done at the moment of purchase. If you purchase another bag you will have to register on the same day.
You do not need to the sales receipt as once registered they have your details of the bag and where you purchased and it is registered to you only & can't be transferred.

Reactions: bergafer3
I guess the microchipped bag will only benefit its original owner whom kept her receipt, if one day should she need to repair her bag.

Only Chanel is able to scan the plaque to retrieve information, so I guess the Zeko authenticator can only verify the authenticity of the bag by the craftmanship of the bag and the plaque? Eventually authentication by a 3rd party is still the same as in the past-through visual inspection and feeling of the material.

But if one day the data inside the plaque is lost, then how? There will not be any recourse for the buyers to prove its authenticity? I still feel safer having black and white hard copy in hand (hologram and authenticity card).
My Chanel SA , told me when you purchase your new bag the registration to Chanel & Moi can only be done at the moment of purchase. If you purchase another bag you will have to register on the same day.
You do not need to the sales receipt as once registered they have your details of the bag and where you purchased and it is registered to you only & can't be transferred.

Hello, I would like to ask about Chanel authenticity cards, if they still come with some new items? I’ve recently purchased several bags but only mini flap and WOC and (as expected) there was no plastic card included. But I received many questions asking me about the card since apparently one seller has recently bought a black caviar WOC and it comes with a card, also the Classic flaps and apparently Heart bags? Can someone please share their buying experience and if they received a black authenticity card?

Thank you

There is an existing thread with a lot of information on plate versus card. You can check it out for more details.

Reactions: lill_canele
Hello, I would like to ask about Chanel authenticity cards, if they still come with some new items? I’ve recently purchased several bags but only mini flap and WOC and (as expected) there was no plastic card included. But I received many questions asking me about the card since apparently one seller has recently bought a black caviar WOC and it comes with a card, also the Classic flaps and apparently Heart bags? Can someone please share their buying experience and if they received a black authenticity card?

Thank you
Bought a WOC last Dec, comes with metal plate already. Maybe you check the series of your WOC if it's older series (that is stocked by the boutique) can still come with a card...