No more authenticity cards?

XCCX

Instagram @thediarentist
O.G.
Nov 23, 2009
Hi!

I bought a classic black wallet on chain today for my mom fresh from the boutique, when I went back home I couldn’t find the authenticity card so I immediately contacted my SA, she researched and came back saying that this is a new system, there’s like a metal plate in the bag that has a code and no authenticity card.. it seems that Chanel is phasing out those cards? I think LV already started doing something similar.. She reassured me that my bag arrived today to the boutique and was untouched and that it’s a “new system” I thought I’d share this interesting info and see if anyone else knows about it.. the WOC is made in France. Here’s a photo of the new metal plate:

47C3A114-77E4-45BA-8DD1-D01E8B3B54A0.jpeg

Last edited:
I would prefer a physical card that is registered with the boutique under my name. It maybe easier to manipulate authenticity as it is electronic coding without anything physical to prove its real. I am not a software engineer but I would fear a hacker infiltrating Chanel's system and wipe out the serials.

Wow interesting. I heard/read there have been alot of manufacturers for LV purses that have found a way to put in the microchip that scans like the authentic LV purses. I feel like with the cards at least it's an additional check of authenticity. They'll figure out a way to create the same system but if we buy a purse preloved, we won't get it scan the plate before hand so it'll be harder for us to know if it's authentic. I guess that is a reason for chanel going this way though... to prevent resales.

It won’t be a microchip since components like that will require power. A passive device like a passive RFID may be used in this scenario. That will also explain why they will only be able to scan it when it is really close to a scanner. Although it is interesting to see it’s a metal plate... How are they securing the metal plate to the bag? Glue?

I do think this move is one of their strategies against resellers and businesses like Fashionphile / TRR. ;)

I would prefer a physical card that is registered with the boutique under my name. It maybe easier to manipulate authenticity as it is electronic coding without anything physical to prove its real. I am not a software engineer but I would fear a hacker infiltrating Chanel's system and wipe out the serials.
It is a highly secure block chain and used by Lv Cartier at the moment. Interesting read :

Attachments

• 95D90AC8-1923-49D4-9E9C-B6DC230E1DF6.jpeg
    95D90AC8-1923-49D4-9E9C-B6DC230E1DF6.jpeg
    488.2 KB · Views: 877
It's called blockchain here's the definition:
----
Blockchain is a system of recording information in a way that makes it difficult or impossible to change, hack, or cheat the system. Essentially a digital ledger of transactions that is duplicated and distributed across the entire network of computer systems on the blockchain.
---
If I'm not wrong not only is the bag authenticated but buyer data is bind to the bag.

Edit: Do you think this will snuff out resellers? But what about people who want to sell the bags years later? Can it be scanned through the screen? Can the tag be cut out? If someone brought preowned and bringn to boutique to scan will it affect my purchase history/data with chanel? (Chanel finding out I've sold the bag) Will it make pre-chipped bags worth even more? The bags with no chip would be more heavily circulated in the resale rather than the new ones with chips. The new ones would definitely be at a H resale premium since we are put on the 12/year limit, have to purchase RTW/jewellery, have a relationship with SA etc in order to buy.

Last edited:
Ooh blockchain tech is even better than a simple RFID! They didn’t settle for a quick fix and really went all in for this. The resales market must have caused a greater disturbance for these brands than we all thought.

Interesting. I can see how this would decimate the reseller market as they would have no way of verifying authenticity. Conversely it would also make it more difficult to sell/re-sell. The price point already makes me very thoughtful about purchasing, but this is something additional to consider.

Interesting. I can see how this would decimate the reseller market as they would have no way of verifying authenticity. Conversely it would also make it more difficult to sell/re-sell. The price point already makes me very thoughtful about purchasing, but this is something additional to consider.
Exactly my thoughts, it would become difficult to resell going forward and should be very thoughtful about future purchases

Reactions: Sparkletastic
It's called blockchain here's the definition:
----
Blockchain is a system of recording information in a way that makes it difficult or impossible to change, hack, or cheat the system. Essentially a digital ledger of transactions that is duplicated and distributed across the entire network of computer systems on the blockchain.
---
If I'm not wrong not only is the bag authenticated but buyer data is bind to the bag.

Edit: Do you think this will snuff out resellers? But what about people who want to sell the bags years later? Can it be scanned through the screen? Can the tag be cut out? If someone brought preowned and bringn to boutique to scan will it affect my purchase history/data with chanel? (Chanel finding out I've sold the bag) Will it make pre-chipped bags worth even more? The bags with no chip would be more heavily circulated in the resale rather than the new ones with chips. The new ones would definitely be at a H resale premium since we are put on the 12/year limit, have to purchase RTW/jewellery, have a relationship with SA etc in order to buy.
Such a pain, we will be forced to buy RTW/fine jewellery to be offerred a hot bag going forward !

Reactions: Lulumelons
Such a pain, we will be forced to buy RTW/fine jewellery to be offerred a hot bag going forward !
Right? I've been ushered to the private RTW room recently. But I'm not into it all...the watch/jewellery. Honest I prefer H watch/jewellery/shoes/home stuff.

Maybe chanel will let us do special orders. Like 24kgold hardware, single flaps jumbos or M/L or any colour we want in caviar or lamb or calf! That might be exciting.

Right? I've been ushered to the private RTW room recently. But I'm not into it all...the watch/jewellery. Honest I prefer H watch/jewellery/shoes/home stuff.

Maybe chanel will let us do special orders. Like 24kgold hardware, single flaps jumbos or M/L or any colour we want in caviar or lamb or calf! That might be exciting.

am not into Chanel jewellery too ! My friend was offered mini black with top handle last week provided she bought something from fine jewellery.
Soo true about custom orders ❤Dreamy

• Wow
Reactions: classicgirll