No Love for MJ Blake :(

Jul 10, 2007
:sad::crybaby::crybaby::sad:
Well my holiday gift giving was a bit of a dud for my sister in law.
She's into MJ bags which I know nothing of.
I found a lovely light colored Blake on Ebay I thought she would love .... Wrong! :sad:

I'm into other designers and don't know a thing about MJ bags (proven clearly this Xmas)
I had No idea that according to her the "Blake is out of style, too heavy and a bag of yesterday".
We're fine with pre-owned bags, thats not an issue - however I sure was surprised that she didn't even want it.

Guess I'll resell it on ebay ... darn.
MJ fans - is this style really so "un-loveable"?

Attachments

• gift for linda.jpg
    gift for linda.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 259
I have the exact same color, I think it's ivory or off white and love it. The Blake is a must-have in any MJ's collectors collection, IMO. I don't use it often because it is indeed heavy, but every time I do, I'm reminded of how much I love it :smile:

Honestly, I've been eyeing the Blake for a while. I wouldn't go for that color necessarily (I have bad luck with whites) but I don't consider the bag to be "yesterday". Would she be willing to tell you what she would consider to be "today"? I would love to have a sister-in-law who bought me a Blake! haha! I see nothing wrong with the Blake, but have heard it can be heavy. IDK, I would be so grateful if I were your sis-in-law! I agree with :heart: purses, the Blake is a must-have for MJ collectors!

On a side-note, can I just tell you how much I hate when people are ungrateful for gifts? I guess it's best to be honest but her reply went beyond honest into mean! The Blake is so not yesterday. Sorry, reading this really got on me! How ungrateful and rude!

Last edited:
China doll Ilove the MJ Blake bag, it is my favorite MJ bag - I have two and it is my go to bag, cute and functional - plus I always receive compliments on it. IMHO it was a fantastic pressie!

Hi, I think she's crazy, and a true bag lover will tell you bags never go out of style. You wear them because you love them, not because others are or aren't. The style is so classic MJ, it reminds me of the venetia. I have all my MJ bags from years ago, and when I wear them, I always wear it for the quality of the leather, and because I LOVE them! And personally, I don't want to waer an "in-style" ag that every other girl has on (Can someone say Neverfull??) Yes, they are a bit heavy, but what MJ bags aren't?

The Classic MJ Blake out of style? I don't think so. That is CLASSIC MJ. I own two Blake bags and love them. Because I have a lot of bags, I don't use them as often as I should, but I enjoy carrying them when I do. I would never consider the Blake to be out of style.

I think you were very kind and generous to gift that to her. She's kind of a buzz-kill. ;)

Thank you for your input MJ Fans.
I really like the point mentioned that you wear/ use a bag because you like it, not because its the in thing or not. But then again clearly she didn't love it or even like it.

I have to mentioned as it being the first MJ bag I've ever seen upclose - Its quite well made and functional. Better than some more expensive designers I've seen - its quite nice.

Yes Rorosity -
She's kind of a buzz-kill.
it totally was. combo of that and shock, but we our family dynamics it shouldn't have taken me back so much now that I look back.
I really appreciate that tPF gave me a place to vent and get your opinions!:tpfrox::tpfrox::tpfrox:

:sad::crybaby::crybaby::sad:
Well my holiday gift giving was a bit of a dud for my sister in law.
She's into MJ bags which I know nothing of.
I found a lovely light colored Blake on Ebay I thought she would love .... Wrong! :sad:

I'm into other designers and don't know a thing about MJ bags (proven clearly this Xmas)
I had No idea that according to her the "Blake is out of style, too heavy and a bag of yesterday".
We're fine with pre-owned bags, thats not an issue - however I sure was surprised that she didn't even want it.

Guess I'll resell it on ebay ... darn.
MJ fans - is this style really so "un-loveable"?
Dang! The Blake is one of our most-loved bags. For the MJ collector, you just have to have a Blake in your collection. I think they are fabulous.

This thread bummed me out. I do not want to judge but if my sister-in-laws ever got me an MJ I would be skipping around the Christmas tree and screaming with joy. Even if it was one of the styles that I wasn't a huge fan of and I ended up reselling it I would still be so happy for all the thought that went into it. I personally think this it's a great everyday bag, made really well and always in style!
I am sorry the gift wasn't appreciated. Hope you can re-sell it :smile:
PS am I the only one curios to find out what you got as a present??:giggles::giggles::giggles:

I don't have a blake but I think it is a very classy bag. Just starting my MJ collection and the Blake is definitely on my list.
You are a thoughtful sister-in-law and I'm so sorry for what happened.
Maybe something good will come out of this. Have you thought of keeping it for yourself? :smile:

Don't feel bad! Your sister in law is the one with the problem. I couldn't imagine reacting that way to a gift! I love the bag and it's the first style I think of when I hear Marc Jacobs.

Don't feel bad! Your sister in law is the one with the problem. I couldn't imagine reacting that way to a gift! I love the bag and it's the first style I think of when I hear Marc Jacobs.
**ditto**

And I kick myself every time I think about the Blake that got away! Actually, 2 of them. I am patiently awaiting new ones to come out.

Goodness - this makes me so sad. I love my blake - I use it for business meetings and i always get compliments on it - yes, it is heavy, but that is what makes the older style MJ's so covetable.......... that yummy suede interior!

The Classic MJ Blake out of style? I don't think so. That is CLASSIC MJ. I own two Blake bags and love them. Because I have a lot of bags, I don't use them as often as I should, but I enjoy carrying them when I do. I would never consider the Blake to be out of style.

I think you were very kind and generous to gift that to her. She's kind of a buzz-kill. ;)

I agree it reminds me of MJ totally. I have a fushia one that I rarely use, due to weight and the odd color but I have always loved this style.

Would I buy another? probably not because my wish list is huge !lol but would I say NO to one as a gift? Nope.

I don't agree with the " so yesterday " feeling on it. unless she is into only THAT season items each year? But I will use it and keep it forever. Its not a trend item that was crazy trendy to use only one year.