No Home and garden board, so I'm asking for tomato plant advice here

jane

tPF's 100th member
O.G.
Sep 28, 2005
the Pacific Northwest
I have three big beautiful tomato plants, all of which now have fruit. Unfortunately I did not stake my biggest one well enough, and last night it BROKE, toppled by the weight of all the tomatoes :sad: :sad:

So now I have this big stalk, with a bunch of green (and one red) tomatoes on it.

Is there any way I can salvage these and perhaps ripen them off the vine somehow???

help! gardeners!!

lv-lover

O.G.
Mar 9, 2006
You certainly can save them. I don't know if this is the best method, but my mom would put green tomatoes in a brown paper bag and put them in the pantry (or any dark place)

Sternchen

O.G.
May 16, 2006
Bavaria, Germany
How big are the green tomatoes? have they turned yellow a bit? You can sit them on your windowsill to get some sunlight and they will turn red if they are big enough :smile:

jane

tPF's 100th member
O.G.
Sep 28, 2005
the Pacific Northwest
That's kind of what I thought... I hope this works for immature tomatoes of any size but I can certainly try. I don't have a brown paper bag though, heh. How about a brown LV shopping bag? :biggrin:

jane

tPF's 100th member
O.G.
Sep 28, 2005
the Pacific Northwest
A couple have yellowed but most are still green, though very large at this point. One is already red but still firm. I'll put them in a bag... still on their stems.

balihai88

O.G.
Jul 31, 2006
96° in the shade
I am useless when it comes to gardening but I do know that my friend grows tomatoes on her patio and they are DELISH. I hope you can salvage yours and they they turn out well!

guccimamma

guccimamma
Aug 8, 2006
i honestly don't know the answer....but does anyone else have those humongous worms with horns on their tomatoes...i keep picking them off, only to find another one...or more the next day

i hate those disgusting worms!!!