"No display bags please"

I once ordered a brown caviar flap from a NM out of state. I asked the SA to make sure the authenticity card was there, the price tag was attached, it had it's dust bag and it's box.

What I got was a bag that had an authenticity card that didn't match the bag, a price tag that was attached but with the price cut off, and a Chanel box, but it didn't have the item number or picture on it (which would be ok with me). It did have it's dust bag though.

How could that SA send me a bag with an auth card that didn't match?:confused1: I was so pissed at that :cursing:. Are they so lazy they don't even look?:sad: Or they just don't care. Well, she lost her commission with me and any future sale I would have been happy to give her.

The bag did look brand new though, if it was a return or a used bag I could not tell. It did look new.

Sounds like my ex SA from NM, which is why she is now an ex. :P She tried to sell me a bag with no auth. card. I asked her to find it, along with a dust bag and box. She came back with a dust bag that was way to small to fit and a different box(which was fine). I asked about the card again, so she just grabbed another card for a display bag, telling me it doesn't matter. :wtf:

I never told her it was fine to return her bag. I simply advised her on how to return it. It's not my place to judge someone on a message board I hardly know. On a separate note, I think it's dishonest for a reputable store to ship an item to a customer who has not seen the bag IRL. The customer is dependent on the merchant to send a quality, undamaged product. I feel this should be communicated in advance of the shipment. I'm sure I've received a preowned bag, just don't send me one that's damaged. :yes:

I think you kind of did to be honest,
Tiffany, here's what you said:
I wore my Pocket in the City a few times before returning it. It took a few wears to understand that the straps weren't functional for me and I ended up swapping it for another Chanel bag even more expensive. These bags are gorgeous but pricey. If it's not right for you, perhaps it will end up with another owner who loves it. Good luck.
I'm just curious as to what people think are going to happen to these bags?
Why you or others think it's fine should be able to return your admittedly used bag but have an issue w/ a display one. I can't help it, I'n truly not trying to be argumentative. . . it just really seems contrary to me. I'm trying to understand!

I personally also think no one should get a damaged bag, but I've really never seen a damaged bag on display. I have however seen a bag come out of it's tissue for the first time ever and have little scratches on it, specifically the distressed brown calf GST that came out a year ago for the 1st time. I was on the waitlist and when I saw it ould scratch w/o being handled I turned it down.
I don't have a problem buying a display bag that's immaculate. :shrugs:
I don't, however, want a bag someone has "tried out" for 3 months and had a change of heart:nogood:

I think Chanel SA's are like the rest of the SA's in the world. . . some are exceptional and some stink. I'm lucky to have exceptioanl ones that make sure my bags are pristine w/o me asking.

Molls, it's a double edged sword, right? For people who abuse a generous return policy, I wish there was something they could do, but for those of us who don't, 5 days seems hardly gracious enough.

If I opt for charge send at the boutique, I specifically ask for a brand new, never been opened box bag, with all documents that match, and ask for the bag to ship directly to the boutique. This way there is no hassle in rejecting the bag if anything is missing or if I end up with a display item. I don't mind a display if the bag is in perfect condition and has all the documents.

:wtf:

I agree it is absolutely wrong to use a bag and then return/exchange. Chanel's return/exchange policy is 14 days, unused and same condition as when the bag was purchased. NM and Saks are not strict about the return/exchange, which is the main reason I now stick to the boutique and to one SA, who understands my needs.

I have to say, when i bought my first and only (so far) chanel bag in Harrods, i took the dispaly bag that i had been trying on and playing with up to the counter fully expecting to purchase that one, without giving it a thought. And the SA said "i'll just get you a new one", i hadn't given it a thought i was just so excited to be buying Chanel i could have been sold a bag that had been sitting on the shelf for months and played with by 100's of people and i wouldn't have given it a thought. The bag still looked good to me. just my opinion.

Again, I never told her I condoned what she was doing. Please copy the whole response and not just part of it. In response to the other thread in which you addressed me on this matter as well, I didn't 'use it as much as I wanted'. The bag Saks shipped to me at full price was damaged and not only was I not pleased with the straps falling off my shoulder but I didn't appreciate the scratches on the hardware and the material. I wore the bag one mile from my home to Starbucks twice. The more I thought about it the more I was upset that I paid full price so I returned it. Had they been honest and offered a discount I would have kept it. Furthermore, the merchant had every right to pull the bag from their inventory if they felt it was damaged. Unfortunately, they didn't and shipped the damaged bag to me which means their bottom line can't be too impacted if they're following this business model. Just because a customer returns an item doesn't mean it should go back on the shelf. Even Target knows better.

I don't think it's appropriate to go into a two different threads to question me on this topic. I didn't join tPF for this and considered the site a fun past time and enjoyed the female camaraderie. :shrugs: I'm disappointed. Forgive me if I don't continue responding to this portion of the conversation.

I think you kind of did to be honest,
Tiffany, here's what you said:

I'm just curious as to what people think are going to happen to these bags?
Why you or others think it's fine should be able to return your admittedly used bag but have an issue w/ a display one. I can't help it, I'n truly not trying to be argumentative. . . it just really seems contrary to me. I'm trying to understand!

I personally also think no one should get a damaged bag, but I've really never seen a damaged bag on display. I have however seen a bag come out of it's tissue for the first time ever and have little scratches on it, specifically the distressed brown calf GST that came out a year ago for the 1st time. I was on the waitlist and when I saw it ould scratch w/o being handled I turned it down.
I don't have a problem buying a display bag that's immaculate. :shrugs:
I don't, however, want a bag someone has "tried out" for 3 months and had a change of heart:nogood:

I think Chanel SA's are like the rest of the SA's in the world. . . some are exceptional and some stink. I'm lucky to have exceptioanl ones that make sure my bags are pristine w/o me asking.

Molls, it's a double edged sword, right? For people who abuse a generous return policy, I wish there was something they could do, but for those of us who don't, 5 days seems hardly gracious enough.

I left out something completely irrelevent . . .
Try calling your local Chanel boutique and Neiman Marcus. Make sure that you have the receipts and the proper shipping address. I know Saks has a separate warehouse for designer bags.
not sure why you wouldn't just clear up the confusion, but since you're obviously offended and not up for real conversation I can let it go. . . confused but who cares!?

Again, I never told her I condoned what she was doing. Please copy the whole response and not just part of it. In response to the other thread in which you addressed me on this matter as well, I didn't 'use it as much as I wanted'. The bag Saks shipped to me at full price was damaged and not only was I not pleased with the straps falling off my shoulder but I didn't appreciate the scratches on the hardware and the material. I wore the bag one mile from my home to Starbucks twice. The more I thought about it the more I was upset that I paid full price so I returned it. Had they been honest and offered a discount I would have kept it. Furthermore, the merchant had every right to pull the bag from their inventory if they felt it was damaged. Unfortunately, they didn't and shipped the damaged bag to me which means their bottom line can't be too impacted if they're following this business model. Just because a customer returns an item doesn't mean it should go back on the shelf. Even Target knows better.

I don't think it's appropriate to go into a two different threads to question me on this topic. I didn't join tPF for this and considered the site a fun past time and enjoyed the female camaraderie. :shrugs: I'm disappointed. Forgive me if I don't continue responding to this portion of the conversation.

I genuinely don't think SwankyMama is trying to attack you or question your ethics or anything at all like that. I think she's just posing a general question, "what do people think" is going to happen to bags that have been worn and returned?

Often (and I would bet, more often than not), somebody else gets them. It may even be somebody like me who is probably the least anal person about handbags, ever. I imagine if some of you ladies had purchased the GST I ended up with, you would've been very displeased.

So basically, if you yourself have returned worn bags, don't be surprised to also receive them. What comes around goes around literally, in this case.

Wow, this is all very interesting.

On the original subject, I must admit that I have had SAs try to give me the wrong box, ID cards, etc. for bags. This has happened to me only at NM. They said it "doesn't matter", but I was very firm with them and said that it was important to me and I insisted.

Also, I was at NM in San Francisco recently and bought a bag and asked for it to be shipped. I didn't want to put the new purchase in my luggage (I already had another bag that I was carrying as well as my briefcase and I could not take one more carry-on item on my flight). The SA waited three days to ship it out. Then it arrived in a FedEx box with no tissue or other wrappint (only in it's dust bag with no other protection). Also, it was scratched! I was seriously angry and called the SF store manager and was told that I could return it here in Chicago. That's just great except that my NM does not carry this bag and I would have to order it and wait again. Needless to say, I prefer to buy bags in person and take them with me.

As for buying, wearing, then returning: I think it may be bad bag karma. None of us should do it.

Swanky, this is one of the reasons I absolutely HATE Saks, NM, Bergdorf's, etc., very lenient return policy!!!! I believe you should only have 5 days to return "any" item and it must be in absolute, perfect (mint, mint, mint) condition.

Actually, stores should put a HUGE, UGLY sensor on their bags, etc., in a very prominent spot that could never be hidden. If the sensor was removed then the item couldn't be returned - period!

If a store sells someone a display item, they should disclose that info up front and sell it with a nice discount!

^^^Ditto.

Oh Swanky, I couldn't agree more. But don't you think graciousness is only hurting us, the honest shoppers. I would NEVER dream of using a bag unless I was 100% sure I was keeping it! Unfortunately, there are a lot of dishonest people out there who use a bag and then decide they want something different, need the money or didn't like the bag at all. The SA might say they won't accept the bag but once the person returning the bag starts raising his/her voice, the SA wants to make nicey, nicey and accepts the bag as a return.

If I were a SA, I'd be fired because I wouldn't care if a person was screaming at the top of their lungs and hanging off the store rafters, if the bag had one teeny, tiny spot on it, they'd never be allowed to return it!

Yea, 5 days is not enough time for me. I am one of those shoppers who buys things when shes unsure because she knows she'll be able to return it. I am very gracious for stores who have long return periods.

(but as a side note) I almost never end up returning things! (bad for the wallet!)

I just want to say that all the bags I bought in rue Cambon do not have tags. The boxes do not have stickers. Bags I bought from Chanel boutqiues in Hong Kong do not have tags and sometimes they just give me a random box. I am not too fussed about tissue wrapping either.

The most important thing to me is that the bag is not damaged and I have the authenticity card and if I am sold the last bag, which happens to be a display bag, they tell me that. I don't mind purchasing display bag in Hong Kong because the bags go so quickly that most bags probably only a shelf (display) life of a few hours...!:nuts: