No Country for Old Men

What was All the Pretty Horses about?

It's set in the 40's Texas and it's about two boyhood friends who, after a series of misfortunes at one of their fathers' farms, set out to Mexico to find work as cowboys. A young kid they meet tags along, but his horse is stolen and the two friends help him get it back. Soon after, the two find work, but the issue of the stolen horse, as well as the daughter of the family for which they work, starts to cause some serious problems for them.

It was made into a movie in I think 2000, directed by Billy Bob Thorton, who I think was in it as well as Matt Damon and Penelope Cruz. The movie is a whole different beast than the book. It's only ok. I'd skip it and read the book, especially if you're a McCarthy fan. Although, like I said before, it's a bit more frustrating of a read than The Road.

I did see it, dbtbandit, a few times actually, and think I was guessing at what the title meant, but want other perspectives. Thanks for yours and other info you can post.

Would anyone know the symbolism of the motel scene between Tommy Lee Jones and Javier Bardem or at least give their own perspective on it?

The first time I saw the film it really confused me.

^It absolutely confused me too. But I haven't read the book, so I don't have anything to refer to. But you're right.. it was a GIANT wtf...

I read a post in the IMDB board that said when Josh Brolin came back to the site to give the guy water, he was looking at a map. And if you look closely at what Brolin was looking at it implied water wasn't the only reason why he came back. Do you know anything about that?

I read a post in the IMDB board that said when Josh Brolin came back to the site to give the guy water, he was looking at a map. And if you look closely at what Brolin was looking at it implied water wasn't the only reason why he came back. Do you know anything about that?

Wow, I so don't. I think I'm gonna need a rewatch too. Just for the sole reason of figuring out whether or it's just ME, or this film truly is wtf at some parts...

I did see it, dbtbandit, a few times actually, and think I was guessing at what the title meant, but want other perspectives. Thanks for yours and other info you can post.

Just saw it again on blu-ray. I have a better answer now.

The title "No Country for Old Men" can be best summarized towards the end in the conversation Ed Tom has with his Uncle.

"This Country's hard on people Ed."

Wow, I so don't. I think I'm gonna need a rewatch too. Just for the sole reason of figuring out whether or it's just ME, or this film truly is wtf at some parts...

I saw it again and did pause when it came to the map. There's nothing there. Guy was just a lunatic.

Although I do wonder what happened to the drugs. Maybe the Mexicans recovered it.