No black coat for funeral - need input, please!

twin-fun

O.G.
Mar 27, 2006
I will be attending the memorial service of the husband of one of my kids' teachers on Tuesday. The service will take place in a non-denominational church and I will not follow the group to the cemetery. I have black pants and tops but no black overcoat! I live in the southern US with typically very mild temps but the forecast for Tuesday looks really chilly for our area. Should I ditch the coat altogether or would it be ok to wear it and take it off while in the building? I think I'm worried about coming across as disrespectful because the two coats I have are bright red. I wouldn't feel so torn if they were in a muted color... Your input would be really appreciated!

I was recently at a funeral, and there were coat racks at every entrance of the building. Could you go in a back entrance and hang your coat there? The church we went to had a lower level, and we entered there and hung our coats there.

Otherwise, could you get by with a jacket - a blazer or leather jacket or even a wrap? A blazer with a scarf that you could remove inside the building might be enough.

If someone at a funeral is commenting/worrying about the color of your coat they clearly have something wrong with them! At grandma's funeral last month I can tell you that as a grieving family member I couldn't care less what you're wearing....just thanks for coming!