Nikki: School Bag?

A B

Jul 23, 2008
I'm currently in the market for a bag I can carry to school. I've searched high and low, but at this point I feel like only way for me to really get the one I want is to spend more than I intended. My question is: would you ever consider using the Nikki as a school bag? My only concern is that carrying 3-ring binders (on a daily basis I may carry up to 3 1"-1 1/2" binders), textbooks, and other miscellaneous supplies in it will stretch out the beautiful leather. Is there any way to prevent this from happening?

I should add that in addition to using it as a school bag, I would like this to be my "out-of-school" bag as well.

I don't think it's a good idea :nogood:
I've been using my Wine Nikki for school but I do not carry binders or heavy books in it. The bag is meant to "slouch" so if you put a binder or a large book inside, it takes away its shape and also, because the bag is held onto the hardware using 2 smal thin leather straps, it might not be a good idea.

I agree. It wouldn't hold its shape or its quality.

It's also not THAT big... meaning the sides would be stretched to the max.

I can only imagine how scratched or even ripped the lining and leather would get if you were taking a 3-ring binder in and out of it several times each day.

Ouch.

I don't think it's a good idea either - school bags take such a beating! I've always taken really good care of everything I had, but remembering what I put my school bags through, even in college, I couldn't spend that kind of money for a book bag.

Ok so here is my thought. I actually haven't been on PF in forever but I have been using my RMs since med school started in August. I use my two nikkis as my school bags. I put my laptop in there a waterbottle and cell phone, pda, wallet, large pencil case, and a notebook. It is heavy and not super ideal, but I just love my nikkis and would never get to use them if I didn't use them as school bags. With that said I am a little worried about them getting stretched out from the sheer weight of the stuff inside, but I personally just love using my nikki and the bag actually does distribute the weight very well on your shoulder in my opinion. I do certainly try not to put anything with sharp corners inside. As for a text book, I dunno about that. I put my macbook in there and that is probably the heaviest item. It also depends on the leather. I have a magenta nikki and a cloud grey one. The cloud grey one is already pretty slouchy leather so I don't like to overstuff it. The magenta leather is fairly thick and stiff though, so I think it can take the weight pretty well. Either way, they both get used because I absolutely love them and what is a purse for if not to carry your things, and those are the things I need to carry. Just my opinion. Good luck finding something suitable that you'll love.

I don't think a Nikki is big enough to work well for a school bag. I use a Anna Corrina Jet Setter Jr. which is plenty big and works great as a school bag. I also got it in the color stone which is a grey with brown tones so if it gets slightly beat up it looks ok. It adds to the worn in look of it I think.

I'd use it as a schoolbag in a heartbeat, BUT only if not carrying a whole lot and only if the leather wasn't especially delicate (i.e., I might not do it with the lighter lambskin). I do think *three* 3-ring binders plus textbooks plus notebooks would be a bit much. Maybe you could use it only on days when you had a lighter load? I would imagine a Nikki could definitely accomodate a small laptop, one medium textbook and a couple of light notebooks. It would be so handy (stuff a hoodie in their for air-conditioned classrooms) as well as gorgeous, for a lighter load.