Nickel & Dime me to death!

Toonces

Yeah, it's bad
Jun 19, 2009
Ok, well not nickels & dimes, but you get the idea.

I have many of my items as best offer. Now we all know what we paid for our items, what they cost to ship and what the fees are. We know what the threshold is to make a bit of money and when we will lose money.

I like to get a good bargain just as much as the next girl, but when I make an offer to someone I try to make it reasonable and if they decline or counter when it's not in my range, I move on.

I have a potential buyer that offered me $15 on an item I had marked as $29.99 w/ free shipping. I countered with $25. She countered with $20. I countered with $24, telling her that was my lowest price. She countered again with $21!

I know I can set my settings to automatically decline low offers, but I like to see the activity. I mean, when someone says "This is my lowest price"....why bother to counter lower? I know I should just take the high road and decline the offer, but I just want to write back...>WTF?

Thanks for letting me vent. :smile:

I know, I think everyone who sells experiences this. I was once selling a bag with best offer and this person emails me offering half the amount and I decline, she then emails another four times with the same offer, trying to convince me.
There are some complete loons on ebay, never underestimate that.

Buyers apparently think sellers are using ebay because they're desperate to get rid of their things. I hate that!! I had a woman give me an entire paragraph speech on how I'll NEVER sell my shoes for more than what she was offering me...as if she's some all knowing shoe pricing guru.

I'd block this buyer...and don't they have a certain number of tries to offer?

EBay is a marketplace. Many people like to really haggle like it is their hobby. It may be their hobby, for all that we know.

I just got someone haggling over a $20 pair of pants like it's the purchase of their lifetime. This is even though it is not an OBO listing but an auction. I have politely told them to go disappear into the sunset and they keep coming back with the same offer. It's like groundhog's day. I am wondering if they are receiving my e-mails.

p-WA

Lol people keep coming back with the same offer?? To be fair im all for a bargain and will often start off low because like everybody I want a bargain and im also cheap :P But even I go away or up my offer if its declined, iv never repeatedly gone back with the same offer, if theyve said no once, theyre gonna say the same in 2 hours time!! Silly people!!

I just always set obo at my to accept to decline at a certain amount. And then I entertain offers. I can't stand the lowball ones. It is a waste of time. Although if you want activity I understand why you do it because it does show everytime someone has amde an offer. When I see a bunch of offers and declines I either think 1. This items is really popular OR 2. they want too much for it why bother.

Just another joy of selling on ebay! You get so many different people and along with that comes the crazy low ballers. It would be wonderful if everyone understood that sellers are trying to make money too and keep their offers reasonable---but that's just not the case.

Sometimes though, the low offers are better than nothing. I just gave an offer on an auction (not bin) of $500. She countered with $600. Then I offered $550. She said she would think it over. Never accepted it and guess what, the item only sold for $320!! Looks like my $550 wouldn't have been so bad afterall, lol.

Yeah, I know, I know. I guess I should just grit my teeth, hit decline and move on, but it seems like I'm seeing more and more of this lowball-itis!

I understand the frustration. I had an expensive Martin dreadnought guitar that I had a BIN at $600. (I paid $1200). At the time it was the best price among the other listings. Some idiot emailed me requesting for me to end the listing and he would offer me $100. :cursing: I wouldn't dignify his email with a response.

I have a potential buyer that offered me $15 on an item I had marked as $29.99 w/ free shipping. I countered with $25. She countered with $20. I countered with $24, telling her that was my lowest price. She countered again with $21!

Oh my... the buyer is beyond cheap. Sometimes i wonder why some buyers can get sooooo stubborn about saving a few dollars on eBay particularly...

Lol. I've actually never had this problem. But I guess everyone wants a good deal, just depending on what they think a good deal is. True though that some people can be very stubborn.

I just always set obo at my to accept to decline at a certain amount. And then I entertain offers. I can't stand the lowball ones. It is a waste of time. Although if you want activity I understand why you do it because it does show everytime someone has amde an offer. When I see a bunch of offers and declines I either think 1. This items is really popular OR 2. they want too much for it why bother.

Sometimes people just email you offers, i.e not official offers, but more "I would offer X amount, would you accept it?" , those you can't screen out unfortunately

Yeah, I had another one today on my husband's ID. Item was $50 OBO. Buyer offered $15.00, I countered at $45 and ....are you ready for this? They countered at $16.50!!!

I went in and changed my auto decline settings....LOL