NF GM: DE or mono?

?

DE vs Mono

1. DE

50.0%
  2. Mono

50.0%
  1. I'm going to be using this as a tote bag for school, as well as an every day bag. I also plan on cinching the sides in when using it as a handbag. I just love both prints and can't decide which one I should go with. I have a Speedy 30 in mono and I found myself having to be very careful with it the first few months of use to help it patina evenly.

Which do you prefer? Are the shoulder straps painful to use on the DE at first and do they loosen up? Also, for those who have the GM in DE, have you ever had issues with cracking on the leather piping/handles?

2. I am horrible at making decisions and have debated all of the prints for various bags for weeks on end trying to weight what would be most practical and what I truly want and like. In the end, I made my decisions because for one reason or the other, I was forced to make a quick decision on the spot, and I went on instinct. All of the prints have pros and cons, so I really feel like it should just come down to what you love the most. So, my question to you would be - if you were forced to make a decision in the next 30 seconds or you don't get the bag at all, which would you choose?

That being said, to answer some of your questions, I had the DE in MM and I never found the straps uncomfortable. I know that is a common complaint about the DE Neverfull, but the straps were never an issue for me or anything I even thought about. I had very very minimal cracking/rubbing on the leather trim at the sides/corner where the bag naturally folded a bit at the top. It was super minor though, and you really had to look to notice it. However, I only owned the bag for two years and only used it for a few months at a time, so I don't know how it would have been with more use. My biggest issue, and the reason I sold it, was that I had two black marks that appeared at the bottom of the back of the bag and the middle of the front of the bag. Folks here said it looked like someone damaged my bag behind my back - almost like someone took a cigarette to it. LV told me it was normal wear and tear and that it was the print rubbing off the canvas. I don't know what it was, but I couldn't stand it so I sold it. From everything I've read here, I do not think it was normal wear and tear - DE can be prone to the print rubbing off, but it seems to usually be at the bottom and/or corners. However, that experience, combined with the fact that I prefer DA and Mono over DE, have made me think twice before purchasing DE again (which doesn't mean I won't every buy DE...saw a photo of a DE Croisette the other day and LOVED it!).

3. Thank you so much for your feedback. I was initially attracted to the DE, but the horror stories I've heard about the cracking made me think twice, thus where the mono came into play. However, now that I'm about to purchase I'm starting to reconsider the DE again. I love all of the prints, but for some reason that one really sticks out to me with the red interior.

4. If you’re going to be cinching it a lot, go with Mono. The DE trim often cracks, especially when cinching.

Ariel1128 likes this.
  5. I vote mono. I have had the DE since February & I’m beginning to wonder if I’ll ever be able to wear it comfortably without the straps hurting my shoulder. And that’s with it almost empty! I’d like to be able to cinch it occasionally, too — but worry about cracking. Good luck with your decision!