Next Purchase: Alex Woo Little Letters Necklace?

Nov 14, 2012
I'm contemplating my next purchase... since my son so gleefully ripped my Jennifer Meyer (inspired) Lowercase Letter necklace from my throat last night, breaking the delicate chain.

Does anyone own an Alex Woo Little Letters necklace (or any of the Alex Woo necklaces)? Are they sturdy? Think they'd stand up to a two year old? :rolleyes:

I really like the Alex Woo Little Letters A necklace. It appears to be larger than the Jennifer Meyer Lowercase Letter. I'm thinking it could be a suitable replacement...

Any thoughts? Ideas?

Anyone care to share a photo of their own Alex Woo piece?

Also... Does Alex Woo offer any promotional codes or discounts? I just spent $600 on my last piece, only to be able to wear it for less than a week... *sigh* It's going into a box until my son is older and I'm on the hunt for a new everyday necklace... Again.

What about putting your pendants on a nice leather cord until he is older?

I had a Pandora leather necklace (a leather cord with sterling silver clasp attached at either end) and he finally pulled so hard he ripped the leather right from the clasp. (The clasp was sturdy enough to stay fastened, surprisingly...)

I'm tempted - at this point - to purchase some type of string and knot/super-glue it!!

I'm really sorry that happened with your other necklace. What a shame.

I don't know, it sounds like he's really into playing with your necklaces so there's no guarantee this won't happen again. I would hate to see you buy another piece only to have it break again so quickly. It's just so costly to do that.

I don't know, it sounds like he's really into playing with your necklaces so there's no guarantee this won't happen again. I would hate to see you buy another piece only to have it break again so quickly. It's just so costly to do that.

Oh, yes... I'm quickly learning this...

Luckily for me, my former in-laws have offered to make this next purchase and consider it an early Mother's Day gift, as they will be out of town (out of the country, really...) this Mother's Day (as part of MIL's gift). They're willing to take care of this one, as they were around last night when the little monster stole my jewelry.

I have a sterling silver necklace. I haven't really put it through a lot of testing but the pendant for sure looks sturday. The chain itself is a ball chain...which from what I remember doesn't have the best reputation for durability. I posted some close up shots. It's quite tarnished because I never wear it anymore (I wear a YG Helen Ficalora necklace with my son's initial instead.). Hope this helps!

Attachments

• image-167771181.jpg
    image-167771181.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 1,682
  • image-2346098685.jpg
    image-2346098685.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 1,629
Yup! Just got it and now I'll be taking it for repair before putting it away...

Thank you for the pictures! Would it be possible to photograph the back of the letter, too, please? I'd love to see how it connects to the chain.

I've heard that ball chains tend to break on the links between the balls... But it does seem to have a sturdy clasp.

I wish Alex Woo sold the letters separately! I'd love to put the letter on a nice, thick box chain. I feel dumb going to my jeweler for more custom work so soon after getting the last necklace. Broken in only 5 days!! He'll LOVE that.

I have the horseshoe and it seems sturdy enough but honestly if your son is that determined to pull on your necklaces I would just wait until he's past that stage. The pendants slide around and can slide off the chains.

I know this is totally OT, but I stumbled upon this and thought of you:

http://www.astleyclarke.com/uk/18-carat-rose-gold-disco-ball-necklace-p25206#

It's a bit heftier than your usual style, I know, but I think that's kind of what you're going for! It would be quite sparkly and I think it's gorgeous. A charm wouldn't go amiss, either. Just a thought :smile: Good luck!

Ooo.. pretty!

I don't see myself spending $2k on a chain at the moment, but I'll definitely keep it in mind! It's lovely. :smile:

I'm still researching chains and metals and various designers... So far, the Alex Woo Letter seems to be the best choice (for now) as a replacement, but I'm trying to "make sure" there isn't anything better out there right now.

I'll be heading back to my own jeweler in a few days (He's out of town for a conference/jewelry show sort of thing) to have my chain repaired, and I'll ask him what he thinks, also.

I do have a very nice 16" heavy box chain, but it was my ex-husband's when he was a toddler, so I'm reluctant to actually wear it...

Sorry that your gorgeous necklace is broken :sad:

I stumbled across Alex Woo when I was searching for cheaper diamond versions of the WG KC designs initial necklace that I want. Alex Woo isnt cheaper but the silver version of the letter T that I want is realistically priced for what I can afford right now. I am desperately dropping hints to my BF to buy me this for mothers day.

Peacefulmommy, Will you be buying the gold, silver or diamond version?