Newbie with very basic questions

shevia

Jan 14, 2009
Hi, I just found this site and am very impressed. I was looking for the answer to real newbie questions:

I have noticed that you don't see bags with long shoulder straps that are meant to hang straight
down. Everything seems to have shorter straps so the bag hangs high or else very long for cross body. Are lower hanging bags completely out?

And in a related question, has anyone tried to shorten the straps of an older bag to make it more "modern"? I have found some great looking bags at vintage stores but they invariably have longish but not super long straps.

Has anyone written a history of bag styles? Is there a link web site with such a thing?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Hi, Newbie. Welcome to our little club.

There are a number of bags with long straps. On the higher end, Bottega Veneta, Prada, Balenciaga, and most of the other equivalent designers have messenger-type bags with long straps that can be worn as a shoulder bag or cross-body. On the lower end, there are also a number of bags like that. I travel with a Tano that is perfect for this use, is adjustable, and allows for the strap to be taken off entirely to use the bag as a hand-held.

I'm not aware of any history of style, but maybe somebody else can help you.

hi welcome to the tpf :smile:.

actually i was noting that longer shoulder drop seems to be gaining popularity. for example the recent new release LV Palermo PM has short attached handle but also an extra detachable longer strap. although this longer strap is mentioned in LV site as possible cross body style in reality most people will find it very very uncomfortable if worn that way. another bag will be Trevi - the longer strap is meant for straight shoulder wearing.

also i recall seeing in the movie The Devil Wears Prada that the lead actress was wearing a long strap bag towards the end of the show and she look super chic!