Newbie with a somewhat odd question...

wrms

O.G.
May 2, 2008
Hi,

I mostly check out the LV forum, but have been snooping around over here for a little while. Anyways, I've been thinking about getting a bbag for quite some time now and was considering the work in black or anthracite with RH.

Now here comes the weird question...Do y'all think the work bag would be appropriate as a doctor's bag? Or would it be a little too much (ie-too fashionable and not conservative enough for patients). I would use it to carry around my stethoscope, blood pressure cuff, etc. when making home visits to patients or working with other physicians.

I am actually a guy, 23, and in med school. I figure the work can also double as a book bag for class (or is the leather too soft? I haven't actually felt one in person). I normally use my LV bags for class, but am certain they are too flashy and not the correct style to be used for a doctor's bag.

How would you react if your doctor came in with a bbag? If anyone has any suggestions or if there are any med students or doctors who can weigh in that would be fantastic. Thanks in advance and sorry for the looong post!

I'm fairly new too, but I think a RH Work in the colors you mention would be very appropriate as a doctors bag. I would even say that the soft leather makes it even more appropriate than a rigid bag. I think a bbag makes a more humble, caring impression from your side. imho.

I would be happy that my doctor had style ;) Hehe

But seriously, I don't think so many would even give it a thought since not many people know what balenciaga is, and it's a pretty subtle bag...

depending on your height, you might want a Weekender instead of a Work. if you're under 5'9" and slimly built, a Work, well, works, but if you're bigger, it looks like you're carrying a woman's bag around.

just imo.

I'm married to a doctor and I have worked in a medical setting for many years. I'll be honest with you. I would consider a more generic bag. You don't know who your patients will be. Some may know Balenciaga, some might not. You want people to feel that they can connect with you as soon as you or they walk in. You don't want your bag to set up any preconceived notions of who you are. In any other situation, I would say, who cares, but in a doctor/patient relationship, you want people to trust you right away. Why put any potential barriers in front of that? Especially when you are just starting out.

Do you love men's day? That style looks as common as other men's bags. I have no idea of the doctors' work abroad, my uncle is a doctor, but I have never seen him taking the handbags. I think work is a great style for work or for the students. I always take my work to school. Hope that helps! And canard is the unique color this season, Imo I think the unique color is better, because you could find black and anthra each year.

I don't think the Work is big enough to schlep around all that's necessary for a med student -- those books weigh a ton! I wholeheartedly recommend the Courier. I got mine while in residency and that thing took a real beating through all my boards studying and traveling... and it looks as great as it ever did, even after managing multiple 3-ring binders, hardcover books, laptop, etc. Total workhorse!

As for the brand itself putting people off, I think a RH bag in a traditional color like black or anthra would be fine. Most people have no idea what Balenciaga is, and if they would actually recognize the bag, I doubt they would find it offensive. I wouldn't carry an LV if I was seeing patients, though.

For reference, I am actually about 5'10, 170lbs.

I did consider the weekender, but I feel like it's too big to be used as a 'everyday' bag.

I do like the men's day and the courier, but those aren't exactly 'doctor's bag' style. Better for classes I think.

Also, where online can I look at men's day and the courier (other than tpf of course!). Do all the stores carry these bags even though I don't see them on their online store?

I am suprised that Dr.s still make house calls! Who knows what a Dr.s life is going to be like when we get government controlled medicine - I know what Balenciaga is and I would be a little put off that a Dr. could use such a hugely expensive bag to carry his equipment in - I would worry he was going to charge me too much.

Please Dont take offense I am just stating my honest opinion.

Haha...I guess technically I don't make house calls. The school I attend has a requirement that we see the same patients at home once a month for 2 years.

And yes, I am concerned about what my patients will think if they recognize I am using a balenciaga to carry around my equipement.