Newbie Visitor from the Coach subforum Question about the Nikki

lizmil

O.G.
Dec 30, 2007
Hi all I am looking at these bags because I love the Maggie style by Coach, but am looking to get away from Coach. You can go on the Coach forum to see why. The Nikki looks really similar to a bag Coach makes called the Maggie although the array of leathers & colors is mind boggling.

And I keep reading about references to new leather vintage leather, new hardware, old hardware.

Can someone clue me in.
What would be a good try-me-bag in this style? There are no retailers within several hours of me that carry this brand. When I went to the website I think the list was mostly in neighboring states.

I am in MI.

THX

I think it's all in what you prefer. I like the lambskin because it's a bit thinner and light weight. It kinda molds to you side and stays on the shoulder better in my opinion.

Welcome to the RM forum. I also am a former Coach addict who was treated very poorly by Coach. I have tried many RM bags and I agree that you need to find the style that best suits you. You can check out the style and type of leather sticky threads to get some ideas.
Good luck and be sure to post pics of your new bag!

Welcome to the RM forum.

I have never seen the maggie person- but there are a lot of helpful threads here on teh forum that can help you decide on your first bag.

First- you may want to check out the reference library. There is one for style and color. If you're a hobo girl, then the nikki would be great for you. You should check out the different colors and information posted in reference.

Also- in the shopping subforum there is a sticky for the stores that carry RM- incase there is a store in your area.

If not- Luna Boston has free shipping and $5 returns, and endless has free shipping and free returns so you can try a style out by ordering online.

Hi Liz. I've seen the Nikki and the Maggie in person, although I don't own either. A Nikki is even larger than a large Maggie, a mini Nikki is almost the exact same size as a large Maggie (off by 1" in one of the dimensions). Maggie has two straps, Nikki has one (more like a Zoe or Carly).

I don't think of them as being particularly similar bags; Nikki has more of a hobo feel to me. It reminds me more of my Michael Kors Astor large shoulder bag, which is slouchy and usntructured (actually a really yummy bag). Maggie seems a little more structured to me, but I have never carried her with stuff in her.

I don't know too many of the leathers, just what I have seen at Off 5th and then the Auburn which I have in the Loveletter Satchel.

I jumped over here recently, and I think your letter may have pushed me completely away from Coach.

Hi Liz. I've seen the Nikki and the Maggie in person, although I don't own either. A Nikki is even larger than a large Maggie, a mini Nikki is almost the exact same size as a large Maggie (off by 1" in one of the dimensions). Maggie has two straps, Nikki has one (more like a Zoe or Carly).

I don't think of them as being particularly similar bags; Nikki has more of a hobo feel to me. It reminds me more of my Michael Kors Astor large shoulder bag, which is slouchy and usntructured (actually a really yummy bag). Maggie seems a little more structured to me, but I have never carried her with stuff in her.

I don't know too many of the leathers, just what I have seen at Off 5th and then the Auburn which I have in the Loveletter Satchel.

I jumped over here recently, and I think your letter may have pushed me completely away from Coach.

IE Princess Hey it's nice to see a familiar face, I'm sorry if my experience pushed you over the edge, but the one between Christmas & New Year's with the person I think I charitably called "scrooge-manager" & the new insulting letter means adios to Coach for me.

I'll be keeping all my Maggies, because I love them, and I do have way too many of them.

I'm not sure why, but the RM Nikki looked similar to me. Although as you said slouchier (is that a word?). Thanks for the input on size, I'll have to mail order one or stumble on one on ebay, but I will try one, eventually.

I'm really glad to hear about the reference threads and the stores that ship & allow returns. It sounds like the Mini is the way to go & with all the colors & styles out there I'm sure I'll find one or two to try.

Last edited:
I am aware that there is a Coach hobo that is similar in style to the Nikki. I think the only difference would be that full size Nikkis are quite heavy if you get a cow leather bag whereas Coach hobos (at least in my experience) tend to not be as heavy.

The Rebecca Minkoff library is a GREAT resource and there are many lovely pictures of Nikkis including tons of great modeling pictures. My advice is to check it out, narrow your choices down to 2 or 3 bags, and go from there!

All the letters have been troubling, but yours is the kind of letter that any of us (good Coach customers) could get. I did a return earlier this month that was from JAX and I heard the manager tell the employee to run it as no receipt. I didn't think anything of it at the time.

Anyway, I'd been drooling over RM bags for some time and I actually pulled the trigger before you got your letter. I haven't purchased a Coach bag since last September (at least not one that I kept), just accessories here and there. I love RM's style, I love that there are a lot of reputable retailers, I love that there are very few fakes, and I love that no one else I know has one, LOL. If I did see someone with one I would think she had great taste rather than thinking that she had jumped on the bandwagon at the outlet. I swear shopping tonight I saw at least 5 women with outlet Gallery totes. They are just ubiquitous.

A mini Nikki is on my list, and also a Beloved Mini, and a MAM and/or MAB. Oh, and maybe a MAC too. I need to pare my collection and generate some cash first, LOL. I can hardly wait until they have another LA sample sale.

Hi all I am looking at these bags because I love the Maggie style by Coach, but am looking to get away from Coach. You can go on the Coach forum to see why. The Nikki looks really similar to a bag Coach makes called the Maggie although the array of leathers & colors is mind boggling.

And I keep reading about references to new leather vintage leather, new hardware, old hardware.

Can someone clue me in.
What would be a good try-me-bag in this style? There are no retailers within several hours of me that carry this brand. When I went to the website I think the list was mostly in neighboring states.

I am in MI.

THX

Hi lizmil!
Welcome to RM! I was from Coach too and discovered RM since last summer. Ever since that my RM collection has grown more than my Coach collection! I hope you'll love this place! It's addictive! :hugs:
I think you would love Mini Nikki if you are the hobo person! However I think one of the most popular style is actually MAB/MAM.
Mini Nikki is almost the same size as your medium Maggie (maybe a little bigger), but less structured comparing to Maggie. You should check out Mini Nikki thread to see which color or HW attract to you the most :
http://forum.purseblog.com/rebecca-minkoff/mini-nikki-lovers-thread-come-in-join-us-381959.html

Thanks all for the warm welcome & suggestions. I'm going to scout ebay & Bonz like a maniac & read up on the long theads here. Maybe I can find one on the online sites too.

YAY lizmil on your purchase. I've been following your drama since Christmas as well. I'm sorry to hear of the scrooge and the way Coach has been treating you. I myself am getting a little Coached out.

I've tried on the regular size Nikki at Off 5th and I agree - it's editorial Zoe/XL front pleat Maggie sized. I'm on a mini Nikki hunt myself.

I'm drooling over all the RM leathers and colors. I was thinking of adding a little something braided, something woven, something else studded and good gravy does RM have all of that! :biggrin: