Newbie to Givenchy...trying to make a decision

Pishi

Priya
O.G.
Apr 20, 2007
Hello all! Been so long since I've posted, but it's been a long time since I've been interested in a new handbag! I've spent the last couple months looking at Givenchy online and in person. I am impressed with their quality. I had been a YSL girl, but that was more than 10 years ago. I have a few "vintage" YSLs in my collection (dark brown pebbled Besace, med brown Downtown, dark brown Rive Gauche). Mostly big bags, with one smaller over the shoulder bag (oh geez, also brown, but lighter). I have one ancient black largish Jimmy Choo shoulder bag from 2006 that's probably back in style now.

More recently, my husband bought me a metallic silver Akris tote, and I picked up a Valentino Rockstud cross body bag in a pale pink (smaller than my tote for sure). I use that Valentino a lot when I run errands. My lifestyle is really low key.

So this is not about needing a bag, because clearly I don't need a bag. Hell, I'm not even really going anywhere these days. But, all that being said, I'm trying to decide between a few purses and I'm not sure which direction to go.

I like the look and functionality of this creased maroon Pandora. It reminds me a lot of the Besace! But I also love this mini red mystic. It's so glam. I'm not usually glam, and I don't have a lot of small purses. The nearly $2700 price tag on the mystic makes me flinch. It makes me wonder if instead I should just go whole hog and order the small mystic which is $300 more (see the gray mystic that I think is so classy).

So I'm torn. The red mystic is totally different from anything else in my wardrobe. I originally started off wanting a black bag, but now I'm here looking at maroon, red, and gray...the black mystic (mini) is also adorable.

Any thoughts for me?

On a side note, I rarely take out my downtown bag and my besace, just because for the recent years they felt so gigantic compared to the other purses out there. But I'm ready to try them again.

thanks,
Priya

pandora.jpegredmystic.jpeggreymystic.jpeg

Reactions: 880
I think it depends on what you want to use it for. The Mystic is a bit more structured...a bit more formal. I've been eyeing it myself but the price is worth it (the leather is pretty thick), I did find the flap a bit annoying to open but it all comes down to preference.

I'm probably more biased, I'd go with the Pandora (I have a different Givenchy bag with the same colour...I am guessing the same material too) because of the colour since it's more versatile and you can probably go day to night with that. It's easier to wear crossbody too. :smile:

Thanks for the response! Given the price points of these various bags, I should take some time to be really sure. I did look at the RealReal last night. They have a lot of Givenchy bags. I saw a couple there that might be a good entry point without paying new bag prices.

I might have to get two...! =)

Reactions: BBBagHag
Welcome Priya, so glad to you post here in our little slice of bag heaven. I knew I've seen your SN before. Wow, all those bag styles you mentioned brought back memories. I definitely alternated between Givenchy and Saint Laurent subforums back in the days. I still own the Rive Gauche in black embossed soft patent leather and the turnlock!

Anyways, I know exactly what you mean about the big bag going by way of the dinosaurs. Remember the H35 was the most in demand bag back then? I still have 4 Jimmy Choo Mahalas...such good quality back then, but like you, I haven't worn them in ages. But I do wear my med nightingales, antigonas and pandoras.

So you picked some of my favorites from Givenchy. You cannot fail with the panda (my affectionate nickname for the pandora). It is hands down the best, least ubiquitous, still under radar after decades, classic crossbody bag ever! Even in NYC I'm hard pressed to see one. Go with the small, it will be more than you will need for daily errands. And if you don't need to carry lots, it will still look like the coolest bag.

The mystic is so different from the panda. It's like the H kelly, fancier, but in the mini, it will be such a piece of eye candy with any outfit. More statement, and in red croc embossed, you cannot find a faux exotic that's better made. I say this bc I've owned G croc embossed in nubuck and calf from 10+ years ago and I always get asked if it's real.

Between the croc and smooth mystic, I'd go with the croc. I've order and returned the smooth because it scratched too easily for me and I don't want to baby it if I don't have to. Quality of leather is tops, as you've stated, but the croc is just no brainer.

They croc comes in a few colors, but I think you have lots of neutral colors, so the red would be gorgeous. Black is definitely a safe and classic bet, but have you seen the anthracite one? Not sure if the mini comes in all the croc embossed colors I've seen, but you should definitely wait for a sale. Last year, they started at 30% and some even went to 50%, maybe a few at 60%, but they were the smooth ones in small and medium sizes iirc.

Hello all! Been so long since I've posted, but it's been a long time since I've been interested in a new handbag! I've spent the last couple months looking at Givenchy online and in person. I am impressed with their quality. I had been a YSL girl, but that was more than 10 years ago. I have a few "vintage" YSLs in my collection (dark brown pebbled Besace, med brown Downtown, dark brown Rive Gauche). Mostly big bags, with one smaller over the shoulder bag (oh geez, also brown, but lighter). I have one ancient black largish Jimmy Choo shoulder bag from 2006 that's probably back in style now.

More recently, my husband bought me a metallic silver Akris tote, and I picked up a Valentino Rockstud cross body bag in a pale pink (smaller than my tote for sure). I use that Valentino a lot when I run errands. My lifestyle is really low key.

So this is not about needing a bag, because clearly I don't need a bag. Hell, I'm not even really going anywhere these days. But, all that being said, I'm trying to decide between a few purses and I'm not sure which direction to go.

I like the look and functionality of this creased maroon Pandora. It reminds me a lot of the Besace! But I also love this mini red mystic. It's so glam. I'm not usually glam, and I don't have a lot of small purses. The nearly $2700 price tag on the mystic makes me flinch. It makes me wonder if instead I should just go whole hog and order the small mystic which is $300 more (see the gray mystic that I think is so classy).

So I'm torn. The red mystic is totally different from anything else in my wardrobe. I originally started off wanting a black bag, but now I'm here looking at maroon, red, and gray...the black mystic (mini) is also adorable.

Any thoughts for me?

On a side note, I rarely take out my downtown bag and my besace, just because for the recent years they felt so gigantic compared to the other purses out there. But I'm ready to try them again.

thanks,
Priya

View attachment 4754058View attachment 4754059View attachment 4754061

Wanted to add that the clasp is not the easiest, so if you are prone to going in and out of your bag often, maybe leave it unclasped? Definitely check out preloved if you don't want to wait for sales.

Randr21, thanks so much for the feedback. You guys will laugh. I ended up going back for a medium black croc Eden! A beautiful and flashy crossbody with the most gorgeous strap. Though when it came time to pay $3700 I quailed. Instead I bought the small grey Mystic at $2900. Somehow it seemed more reasonable. And now that I’m home with it I don’t love it. So here I am back where I started. I loved the panda but it was hard to get in and out of. I love the croc. So do I get the Mystic in grey croc? Or just go with my original gut and get the black Eden?

or....back to the maroon Panda?!

ugh. I’m trying to get ten pts at Nords so that’s why the struggle right now.
2D255FD9-9118-4CFD-8661-7AF1B39CCB51.jpeg9A0B69E7-5262-45DC-A3E4-F5E3A7820040.jpeg
You think both these croc styles will go on sale?

I just looked at my husband and told him “I need two.” And he said “I know.” Because I can’t choose between the croc styles right now and they are so $$ I think I’ll go back to the Pandora. We will see what happens tomorrow when I go back to the store!

Randr21, thanks so much for the feedback. You guys will laugh. I ended up going back for a medium black croc Eden! A beautiful and flashy crossbody with the most gorgeous strap. Though when it came time to pay $3700 I quailed. Instead I bought the small grey Mystic at $2900. Somehow it seemed more reasonable. And now that I’m home with it I don’t love it. So here I am back where I started. I loved the panda but it was hard to get in and out of. I love the croc. So do I get the Mystic in grey croc? Or just go with my original gut and get the black Eden?

or....back to the maroon Panda?!

ugh. I’m trying to get ten pts at Nords so that’s why the struggle right now.
View attachment 4756441View attachment 4756442
You think both these croc styles will go on sale?

Get it in case you dont find one on sale. At least you will have the 10 points.

As for which one, go with the black eden. It's in btwn panda and mystic and has qualifies of both.

Reactions: 880 and Pishi
I bought the Eden! It's really pretty. I hope I'm going to want to wear this when I'm 80 because man, it was an investment...I will post pictures as soon as I can.

Can't wait to see pics! Did you know that the Eden can be converted into a belt bag? Not sure if all the sizes can do this, but that's a pretty cool feature. Also, Saks is starting to do sales on Givenchy, and Edens in all sizes are on it.

Med Black croc - 2583
Med Black reg - 1883
Sm Black reg - 1393
Mini Black velvet - 945

Can't wait to see pics! Did you know that the Eden can be converted into a belt bag? Not sure if all the sizes can do this, but that's a pretty cool feature. Also, Saks is starting to do sales on Givenchy, and Edens in all sizes are on it.

Med Black croc - 2583
Med Black reg - 1883
Sm Black reg - 1393
Mini Black velvet - 945
OMG. I don't see this online yet. That is a huge savings. Do you have an SA I can contact?

Hi all! Well. It HAS been a journey! Many purses bought and returned. I was able to capitalize on the Nordstrom sale. I ended up with three bags, two Givenchy and one YSL. My SA must think I’m neurotic. And I guess I am.

I bought the small pandora in aubergine. I bought a beautiful black croc medium Eden at the same time. I immediately started using and loving the Pandora. But I never took the Eden out. Over the top gorgeous but I knew I’d never reach for it or just leave it hanging out for use. I decided to return the Eden. I went today to do the return and found the mini red croc mystic that I originally liked at 60% off. It seemed like fate, you know? So I bought it.

I also bought and will return a medium grey croc Mystic. It’s just not for me in that size. Too formal. I like it in the smaller size.

And then because I’m a sucker for smooshy bags I picked up a YSL Nolita in an amazing dark grey blue color. It was also on sale. They randomly had one in the store.

And so here I am. No new designer purses in like 10 years and wham three in a month.

Last edited:
  • Love