Newbie question: Is the Hobo the same as the Veneta and what about the Belly?

Netminder1

Jan 24, 2011
I see the terms are often used together. Are they 3 separate bags with slight differences?

And a color question: what is the closest color to a lipstick or fire engine red that BV makes?

Thanks,
LS

Ok. Where's Boxermom & Grandmommie, Septembersiren?
Veneta is named after the company, Bottega Veneta. The Veneta style is a hobo and comes in 3 sizes; Medium, Large and Extra Large. The Belly is similar to the Veneta style but has a wider bottom base with pleats which makes each size a bit larger. As for the red color... A native BV on this forum will help you with that question.

I think the color red is Scarlett.

The hobo bag is a style that is used by most companies and BV has had more than one hobo style. The Veneta is a hobo bag; the truest interpretation BV makes. ^BgAHolic described the Belly Veneta very well. It's simply a different hobo style. Other BV hobo styles are the Campana and the Ball Bag (no longer made, darn it).

So for the hobo bag icon, get the Veneta. The sizes are medium, large and Maxi. I don't have a Belly bag so I can't tell you about their sizes though I do know that a medium Belly is larger that a medium Veneta dnd a large Belly is larger than a large Veneta. There's no Maxi Belly.

We all have aour own idea of the perfect lipstick red from BV. My personal favorite is Carmino from a few years ago. Look in the reference section for Red colored BV bags for an idea of the past BV reds. Often the Fall collection will have a great red. Last Fall did not and the resort collection doesn't either. So you may want to look for a pre-owned bag or wait for *your* red to appear in a future collection.

Welcome! :welcome2:

the Veneta comes in 4 sizes Maxi, Large, Medium and baby (the size of a wristlet and oh so cute)
Hobo is merely a term that describes a bag that slouches and reminds people of a kerchief on a pole shape that hobos used.
BV's hobo's is the Veneta.
The Belly Veneta is a Veneta that has a wider base and has pleats to make the bag rounder at the bottom. The Large Belly is equal to the Maxi Veneta and the The Medium Belly is about a Large Veneta.
Other styles that BV makes that may or may not be considered hobos but more structured hobos are The Sloane, The New Pyramid, and The Campana.
The New Pyramid and The Sloane are not on the website right now. They did not do them in seasonal colors and they are not on the website. They are stil available.
I own a Large Belly Veneta. Love it carry it everyday. It is my workhorse.
Most people start out with a Veneta. It is BV's signature bag. Most people start with Ebano. It is a delish brown so rich

hobo is definitely a bag style which includes the Veneta and Belly Veneta. however, a lot of people also refer to the BV Cervo Hobo (cervo = deerskin) which is different from the Veneta and Belly in that it isn't woven leather, hangs lower, and has an open top.

a lot of the bags BV makes can be classes as hobo's
like the cervo hobo that everyone loves
the cocker and montaigne not hobos

hobo is definitely a bag style which includes the Veneta and Belly Veneta. however, a lot of people also refer to the BV Cervo Hobo (cervo = deerskin) which is different from the Veneta and Belly in that it isn't woven leather, hangs lower, and has an open top.