Newbie Question about the Leather

missy_g

Sep 22, 2011
I've been on a big leather bag kick lately (mostly vintage). I bought a Cupid bag for $50. The leather looks to be all intact but there is a water spot on the bottom and it looks like it needs an overall cleaning and conditioning.
My question is, what is the quality? Is it like Coach quality (only thing I know to compare it to) I know it's probably not vintage quality but I want to know it can hold up to a good washing and conditioning.

Also are the hardware issues fixed? I don't know how old this bag is, but the hardware is all in one piece so that's good.

Also can I buy replacement straps? This bag is blue so it's been difficult. Haha.

newwonderfull

Mar 13, 2014
Is this the blue one that was on Ebay a few weeks ago? I think I saw the listing for it. I'm fairly certain that the color is Ash Grey (I have the cupid in this color). It's a later production of the bag, so the hardware issues don't seem to be as big of an issue, but I still wouldn't overstuff the bag and put too much stress on the hardware. I love this bag so much. It's definitely my favorite style of the RM bags, and the leather on mine is amazing - it pools and slouches pretty well. Comparison to Coach is hard - are you thinking old, vintage, Coach, or the newer pieces? I don't think it's as nice as really old Coach, but it's decent leather for the price. It's certainly not a bag that will last you the next 20 years, but it should last a few if it's taken care of. As for the strap, RM doesn't seem to sell replacement straps. However, there is a company, The Rago Brothers, who could construct a new strap identical in color to the original. They are an old, family company and do beautiful work. They would also be great for repairing the leather of the bag. If you do the washing and conditioning yourself, just be sure to use specialty products for purses (a lot of users here reccomend the Apple Brand leather products.

jenmill

Sep 29, 2014
I've been on a big leather bag kick lately (mostly vintage). I bought a Cupid bag for $50. The leather looks to be all intact but there is a water spot on the bottom and it looks like it needs an overall cleaning and conditioning.
My question is, what is the quality? Is it like Coach quality (only thing I know to compare it to) I know it's probably not vintage quality but I want to know it can hold up to a good washing and conditioning.

Also are the hardware issues fixed? I don't know how old this bag is, but the hardware is all in one piece so that's good.

Also can I buy replacement straps? This bag is blue so it's been difficult. Haha.
I've found the leather in RM bags to be very, very durable. I was about to donate a MAB to Goodwill when I decided on a whim to give it a cleaning and conditioning with Apple products. I can't believe how well it turned out. The only thing on the MAB that I couldn't fix was the trim on the bottom of the bag that had worn through. The feet didn't protect it because the bag is too soft. I also have the Nikki bag which seems to be indestructible except for the shoulder strap. The color has worn off so I don't know if I will try to salvage this bag. The body of the bag is also coated with something that makes it very shiny and durable. I got both bags from an RM sample sale years ago and they were worth every penny.

Minkette

Dec 22, 2013
Eastern US
I remember the ash grey color... wasn't impressed with the leather that season. I don't own any coach bags, however, I do find the leather to be better on those bags with some of the recent declines in the quality of RM bags. I have older RM bags that I love but more recently, it is getting so hard to justify the price with the cuts in quality.