Newbie opened INR case because they don't understand USPS tracking?

Oct 18, 2013
This is just the week from hell on eBay! Today, I received a notice from PayPal that a buyer opened an INR claim saying they have not received the item and the USPS tracking says the package has been "accepted" which to them implies it has been delivered. The buyer is new to eBay and clearly has no understanding.

When they saw "accepted" on the tracking, they thought it meant it had been delivered. In the claim, they said I am scamming them by "sending the box to my own house" so the tracking "shows up as delivered and PayPal will release the money" to me. They are very confused, they went on about how the package was "delivered" (accepted) at 2:30 and it wasn't even 2:30 there. They saw the location where the package was (my city) and is thinking that is where the package was "delivered" I responded nicely to the case letting them know what Accepted means and to check back later.

Not good enough. I received a nasty email from the buyer on my personal email accusing me of scamming him and demanding an explanation. At this point, I lost it. I was furious, I lost all patience and I let him have it. In short, I told him to do some research, google is his friend, and to think before he pulls cr*p like this on another buyer and puts them through hell for his mistake. He responded with a lengthy condescending email acknowledging that he sees the item is in transit to him and went on to tell me how to run my eBay store and how it is my fault that he was wrong (?!) If I hadn't shipped one day later (my policy is I will ship 2 days after payment received, I shipped on the second day) he would not have been shocked and confused. Despite my anger, I calmly told him to respond to the case immediately as the money has been reversed and he will have his money AND item and I will have nothing.

This is a buyer straight from a nightmare and I don't know what to do. I no longer wish to proceed with this sale, especially since he will soon have his money and my item. I may not see either again. I noted in the PayPal case that the buyer is emailing me at my personal email account with rude emails. I am so close to intercepting the packaging and letting him keep his money and get away from me. Not only because he is rude, but he will have the item before PayPal comes to a decision and he might disappear with my money and item before then. However, I do not want a strike on my account. I can already sense a negative feedback coming my way. Help. :crybaby:

This is just the week from hell on eBay! Today, I received a notice from PayPal that a buyer opened an INR claim saying they have not received the item and the USPS tracking says the package has been "accepted" which to them implies it has been delivered. The buyer is new to eBay and clearly has no understanding.

When they saw "accepted" on the tracking, they thought it meant it had been delivered. In the claim, they said I am scamming them by "sending the box to my own house" so the tracking "shows up as delivered and PayPal will release the money" to me. They are very confused, they went on about how the package was "delivered" (accepted) at 2:30 and it wasn't even 2:30 there. They saw the location where the package was (my city) and is thinking that is where the package was "delivered" I responded nicely to the case letting them know what Accepted means and to check back later.

Not good enough. I received a nasty email from the buyer on my personal email accusing me of scamming him and demanding an explanation. At this point, I lost it. I was furious, I lost all patience and I let him have it. In short, I told him to do some research, google is his friend, and to think before he pulls cr*p like this on another buyer and puts them through hell for his mistake. He responded with a lengthy condescending email acknowledging that he sees the item is in transit to him and went on to tell me how to run my eBay store and how it is my fault that he was wrong (?!) If I hadn't shipped one day later (my policy is I will ship 2 days after payment received, I shipped on the second day) he would not have been shocked and confused. Despite my anger, I calmly told him to respond to the case immediately as the money has been reversed and he will have his money AND item and I will have nothing.

This is a buyer straight from a nightmare and I don't know what to do. I no longer wish to proceed with this sale, especially since he will soon have his money and my item. I may not see either again. I noted in the PayPal case that the buyer is emailing me at my personal email account with rude emails. I am so close to intercepting the packaging and letting him keep his money and get away from me. Not only because he is rude, but he will have the item before PayPal comes to a decision and he might disappear with my money and item before then. However, I do not want a strike on my account. I can already sense a negative feedback coming my way. Help. :crybaby:

Once the item shows "delivered" all PayPal on the phone. Explain the situation and ask them to look at the tracking while you're on the phone. They should close the case in your favor.

I understand that your buyer is an idiot but I hope you weren't too unprofessional in your communications because it usually comes back to bite you.

Once the item shows "delivered" all PayPal on the phone. Explain the situation and ask them to look at the tracking while you're on the phone. They should close the case in your favor.

I understand that your buyer is an idiot but I hope you weren't too unprofessional in your communications because it usually comes back to bite you.

I just caught a bit of an attitude and annoyed tone. No insults or profanity used. I let my anger get the best and I probably should have cooled off before responding, but this is only my second dispute and I got incredibly anxious. All the nightmare buyers came out this week! :sad:

If something like this upsets you and makes you as angry as you sound in the post, perhaps online selling isn't for you.

I honestly don't mean this in a negative way but you said the buyer is a newbie so I think you over-reacted. He probably never tracked a USPS package before, doesn't understand how the scan process goes from the time the label is printed until the package is delivered and a little patience and explanation would have diffused him.

Remember, you're the seller and professional or not, there's a standard of service you should assume.

Another thing to remember is although the buyer may have been upset, although the buyer didn't understand how tracking works, although the buyer accused you of something you didn't do, the buyer has the ability to leave feedback for you and it doesn't have to be positive. He can ding your stars and your feedback score if he didn't like your response to his message.

If something like this upsets you and makes you as angry as you sound in the post, perhaps online selling isn't for you.

I honestly don't mean this in a negative way but you said the buyer is a newbie so I think you over-reacted. He probably never tracked a USPS package before, doesn't understand how the scan process goes from the time the label is printed until the package is delivered and a little patience and explanation would have diffused him.

Remember, you're the seller and professional or not, there's a standard of service you should assume.

Another thing to remember is although the buyer may have been upset, although the buyer didn't understand how tracking works, although the buyer accused you of something you didn't do, the buyer has the ability to leave feedback for you and it doesn't have to be positive. He can ding your stars and your feedback score if he didn't like your response to his message.

I did have patience and was understanding, I stated in the first paragraph. I explained very nicely to him in the PayPal case about what accepted means and if he had any doubts, he could contact USPS and they could give him detailed info. He then proceeded to send harassing emails to my PERSONAL email address, and that was crossing the line. I always have patience with my buyers, I'm glad to help new ebayers. I don't appreciate being accused of something without evidence and when it is proven wrong, blamed for something else.

I now see why sellers are scared off from ebay. I don't understand why eBay and PayPal allows buyers to see your personal email address, I don't want people having that info. I may have to create a separate email for ebay.

I did have patience and was understanding, I stated in the first paragraph. I explained very nicely to him in the PayPal case about what accepted means and if he had any doubts, he could contact USPS and they could give him detailed info. He then proceeded to send harassing emails to my PERSONAL email address, and that was crossing the line. I always have patience with my buyers, I'm glad to help new ebayers. I don't appreciate being accused of something without evidence and when it is proven wrong, blamed for something else.

I now see why sellers are scared off from ebay. I don't understand why eBay and PayPal allows buyers to see your personal email address, I don't want people having that info. I may have to create a separate email for ebay.

There is no reason that a buyer should abuse a seller & sending
harassing e-mails is also unaccceptable..
Whether a buyer has experience or not it is just wrong & should
not be tolerated.

OP, if this buyer continues to do this, you may want to cut & paste
those e-mails & let ebay read them (ask for a supervisor)

And should this buyer leave negative feedback, you may be able to have
it removed based upon the circumstances

There is no reason that a buyer should abuse a seller & sending
harassing e-mails is also unaccceptable..
Whether a buyer has experience or not it is just wrong & should
not be tolerated.

OP, if this buyer continues to do this, you may want to cut & paste
those e-mails & let ebay read them (ask for a supervisor)

And should this buyer leave negative feedback, you may be able to have
it removed based upon the circumstances

I am going to be on the phone with PayPal this morning, I filtered the buyers email address so his emails go straight to archive.

There is a difference between being professional and calming an angry and confused buyer and responding to someone who is being completely disrespectful and attacking someone for really, no reason. His last email to me was so condescending, it was disgusting. I'm not fond of being called "dear" "baby doll" and "stupid"

This buyer is "new", but I have a feeling he knows what he is doing. He won't respond the PayPal case, only sent me emails to my personal address. Either he is putting a hold on this to spite me, make me wait and prolong this headache, or he is waiting to get the item and take off with it while the money is in his account and disappear.

I had JUST sent my funds to my savings account when I got hit with the reversal, now I'm negative $50. I have two buyers who purchased small items this morning and I cannot purchase shipping for them because the negative balance ate up all of the money. :Pullhair:

I am going to be on the phone with PayPal this morning, I filtered the buyers email address so his emails go straight to archive.

There is a difference between being professional and calming an angry and confused buyer and responding to someone who is being completely disrespectful and attacking someone for really, no reason. His last email to me was so condescending, it was disgusting. I'm not fond of being called "dear" "baby doll" and "stupid"

This buyer is "new", but I have a feeling he knows what he is doing. He won't respond the PayPal case, only sent me emails to my personal address. Either he is putting a hold on this to spite me, make me wait and prolong this headache, or he is waiting to get the item and take off with it while the money is in his account and disappear.

I had JUST sent my funds to my savings account when I got hit with the reversal, now I'm negative $50. I have two buyers who purchased small items this morning and I cannot purchase shipping for them because the negative balance ate up all of the money. :Pullhair:

You are absolutely right that there is a difference. This buyer was out
of line sending a harrassing email to your personal email address &tend to think this
buyer "knows more" than perhaps we are giving him credit for.

I'm sorry he is playing hardball but perhaps after the phone call, you
might have a better resolution.

wow

how many days was it from the time the buyer paid till the time he opened an INR?

TWO days! He opened it yesterday which was the day I sent it, two days after payment. I was shocked. How can one possibly think or even consider the thought that an item would be delivered 3 hours after the shipping label was printed? :wacko:

You are absolutely right that there is a difference. This buyer was out
of line sending a harrassing email to your personal email address &tend to think this
buyer "knows more" than perhaps we are giving him credit for.

I'm sorry he is playing hardball but perhaps after the phone call, you
might have a better resolution.

I really hope so. I'm about to call up PayPal, pray that I get a good and understanding rep! :P

Good luck!

But how on earth was he able to open an INR? eBay won't let you do that until after the anticipated ship date. You need to raise that when you call. I've noticed a lot of bugs in eBay lately...

TWO days! He opened it yesterday which was the day I sent it, two days after payment. I was shocked. How can one possibly think or even consider the thought that an item would be delivered 3 hours after the shipping label was printed? :wacko:

I really hope so. I'm about to call up PayPal, pray that I get a good and understanding rep! :P

I would ask to speak with a supervisor & keep calling back until you get one..

Keep us posted.. and after all of this gets settled, this buyer should be blocked

Good luck!

But how on earth was he able to open an INR? eBay won't let you do that until after the anticipated ship date. You need to raise that when you call. I've noticed a lot of bugs in eBay lately...

I'd love the answer to that myself! I dug around on google a bit and apparently there have been many cases of that happening. The result of those situations all turned out to be scammers. Meh. :sad:

I just got off the phone with PayPal and the rep told me as soon as the item shows up as delivered, the money will be released to me and the case closed in my favor.

She looked over the claim and agreed the buyer is behaving strangely, but she assured me they won't let the buyer have the money AND the item (we'll see) It's set to be delivered tomorrow so hopefully all goes well. I also let them know about the buyer's abusive emails and copy and pasted them into the claim for PayPal to look over.

The horrific buyer has already been blocked. If I receive a negative feedback from him, I will call eBay every day forever until it is removed! :rant: