Newbie in need of some help RE smelly bag

DiaperBagDiva

Aug 23, 2009
Hi everyone! I usually just read here - but decided to join in :biggrin:

I recently purchased a 'vintage' Coach Lexington bag. The outside of the bag smells. :sick: It's a mystery smell. Seller claimed it came from a smoke free home, but it definitely SMELLS! It almost smells like a sweet pipe tobacco, or maybe incense, or some kind of perfumed, heady oil. Certain areas of the bag smell worse than others. I have cleaned the outside with Coach leather cleaner, twice. No luck. It did have a heavy black grime to it.

There is no leather smell at all. :hrmm: I have some older Coach bags from the 90's, and they all smell like leather. :confused1: And I smoked back then! :cool:

Do I have a shot at getting that leather smell back - or are all my attempts to clean it futile? At this point I'll take just getting rid of that nasty smell. I tried looking for threads on it here, but I'm only seeing stuff about the older Coaches that get 'baths'. :shocked:

Thanks!

If you attempt to alter it in any way from what you got it, seller could have grounds to refuse a refund since it's not in the same condition.

You need to determine whether you want to attempt to clean it, or if you want to return it for full refund.

Once you do that, then we can help... maybe even on the cleaning aspect!

Some smells in handbags are very hard to get rid of.

It is a persoanl decision, but if you have the option to return it, because of the
smell I would consider that.

More likely than not, you will find the bag again.

Thank you!

Well - I did try to talk to the seller, as there was another issue with this bag. I'm claiming defeat, because the seller will not accept returns, and they don't consider the smell to be a 'legitimate' reason. I did ask them what they thought the smell was, and they say they don't know and it's 'indirect'.

However, I think I can file a claim for the other issue I found with the bag: it was stated that there were no rips or tears, yet I found one near the one strap. It must have started because of weight on the handles, as the seams separated and when I went to take pics of it, it separated even more. :rolleyes: I'm afraid to use this bag until I send it to Coach to get fixed. It's one of those types of seam rips - once it starts it keeps on going......KWIM?

I HATE to be a complainer, and I totally understand I bought a used, old bag. But I paid a good amount of money for it. And the seller had kind of a 'tude about it, and won't respond now. I don't know what to do at this point. I'm guessing I'm stuck with it. That's why I figured I'd ask the best way to get rid of that horrid smell without damaging the bag.

There are some things you can try:

Some people have had luck if they spray an old rag with Febreeze, then place the rag and the bag into a plastic bag, tie it up, and let it sit for a few days. I've also heard that dryer sheets will work.

I've also heard that you can pour some odor absorbing kitty litter into a plastic bag, then place your bag on top of it, tying the plastic bag shut for a few days. (or you can pour the litter into an old knee-hi or cut off leg of panty hose, if you don't want it touching your bag directly.)

I don't think you will get the leather smell back, but hopefully the other odor will disappear. Good Luck!!

I have used the kitty litter before with success. I put it in a separate container, and close that container and the bag together in a box for about a week. However, if you got gunk off when you cleaned it, maybe the bag has some sort of dye or polish on it, and that's what you're smelling. Can we see the listing?

If you think it is significantly not as described, you can file with Paypal (if this is an eBay purchase). The seller may be surprised about whether or not s/he takes returns.

BTW, I don't think Coach does that type of repair anymore, do they?

Depending upon the material of the lining, IF the smell is in the lining, I have successfully used the "spot clean method" of a DIY dry cleaning kit to clean and deodorize linings b4.
BUT.. decide first IF you are going to keep it. And disregard what the seller says. If you paid w/ PP you can file a PP dispute for a defective, stinky bag.

Too bad we can't file PP disputes for stinky ATTITUDES!:biggrin:

Depending upon the material of the lining, IF the smell is in the lining, I have successfully used the "spot clean method" of a DIY dry cleaning kit to clean and deodorize linings b4.
BUT.. decide first IF you are going to keep it. And disregard what the seller says. If you paid w/ PP you can file a PP dispute for a defective, stinky bag.

Too bad we can't file PP disputes for stinky ATTITUDES!:biggrin:

LOL! Too true! :biggrin:

Thank you for all the advice! It is very much appreciated.

I may file that dispute, thanks for the heads up on that! I'm still giving seller a chance to respond. And I don't feel comfortable putting the listing here, as I don't want anyone raked over for it. And, uh.......what if they post here?! :peace:

I can't understand why some sellers don't take the time to look over a bag and list details, esp. defects !? It only takes a few extra minutes to note any issues. I've sold some handbags, and I make sure to list details to a fault. Sometimes I wonder if it'll sell - I make it sound that bad! :wondering

I have a feeling that this seller is a 'bag flipper', trolling Sally's AKA Salvation Army lookin' for bags to flip. :shame: There's nothing wrong with that BTW! ;) In that case, the bag may be shipped from THEIR non-smoking home and look 'good'. But in reality, it was owned by an old lady who smoked 4 packs of Reds, carried 5 pet rocks in it, bathed in patchouli oil and fired up incense daily. And all 10 of her cats took turns sleeping on it.

(I already guessed the history!) :lol:

Thanks for the vent as well! :btdh: I'm sure!!! LOL!

If you decide that you are going to kep the bag, than you have several

suggestions that you can try.

You can also open a claim/dispute as to the rip that you have noticed.

Just be happy if you decide to keep the bag.

i had purchased a LV from someone here and it REEKED of mothballs. i tried all of the things you guys had suggested and then some and NOTHING worked. i ended up selling it, at a loss, due to the smell. so - yeah. some smells, you just cannot get rid of.

I would DEFINITELY file a SNAD! Why should you go thru the hassle of trying to 'fix' a bag that had issues that were not disclosed?? I would also post the listing so that others might not make that same mistake. It always infuriates me when dishonest sellers take advantage of nice people. :mad: