Newbie Here with a few Questions

amandagal

Dec 10, 2008
Hi all!

I just purchased a Fendi Spy bag off of ebay. The seller did not give me very detailed descriptions of the bag and the pictures were taken with her camera phone. Honestly I have always wanted one of these bags and I think I let my excitement over the great price overshadow my better judgement.

The bag came yesterday and there are a few issues with it. The issues that I can handle are that there are a few places where the stitching is coming out and there are a few pen marks on the inside lining. Just a few and nothing that a careful needle and steady hand can't recify if it gets too bad.

The first issue that I really have a problem with is that she had the coin purse portion of the bag hot-glued together. The seller had told me that she did that so because her coins wouldn't keep falling out everytime she opened the bag. I thought that it would be something I could fix. She neglected to mention that the reason it kept falling open was because the clasp was gone. I'm not sure exactly what it is "supposed" to look like, but there is a hole where a clasp should be. This upsets me greatly. I only figured this out after I had taken over an hour painstakingly removing the hot glue. You might ask why I would go forward and purchase this bag after finding out that the coin portion was glued together. I really did think that it would be something I could fix. I also figured that I was getting such a great price that it was ok to have a few problems with it. I didn't realize that it would have several defects to it. The second issue is that the bag reeks of smoke. She did not mention that she was a smoker. This should be fixable.

So I'm basically posting to vent and to find out if there is a way this bag can be cleaned. I'm willing to do just about anything, no matter how tedious and hard, to get this bag cleaned and pretty again. As for the clasp, I don't think there is anything I can do about that. Is there a place where you can buy replacement parts?

I'm very disappointed. I had a baby in December and this was my reward (consolation prize) for having to return to work. I figured that if I had to work and not stay home with my baby girl, I would at least get some nice things out of the money that I make. :s

b00mbaka

May 2, 2007
Aww! I hope for the best but as candyny said, you have 7 days to return. Post more detailed pictures in the authenticate thread as soon as you can if it is found to be fake return the bag. You will lose shipping fees but that's better than wearing a fake

Lady Moe

4 the luv of Purses
O.G.
Feb 23, 2009
This sounds bad, why would you want this bag in such a horriblr condition? If you are going to spend more money to get the smell out and fix the clasp spend that money on getting you a goo purse. From the price you should have known it was too good to be true. Return it and look for something else. What good is the spy with a broken secret compartment.

amandagal

Dec 10, 2008
I did not know that it was broken. She only said that she had it closed because her coins kept falling out. She never said that it was broken.

I could go over and over about why I wanted this particular bag but it's not worth it. This is my first try at buying a bag on eBay and now I know better. Thanks for the reply.

amandagal

Dec 10, 2008
I am returning the bag this morning. She has sent me several emails moaning about how she spent so much time taking extra pictures and answering my emails and "this is how she is repaid." She continues to swear that it is authentic.

My one worry now is that I did take the hot glue off the coin purse, so that is now open. It is not the way it was received. Surely she wouldn't be so petty as to say she won't refund me because the bag wasn't given back the way it was received?

It also looks like eBay pulled the listing and I've gotten and email from PayPal about the item. I don't believe I'll be buying bags from eBay anymore.

Litigatrix

♥
O.G.
Nov 30, 2006
I am returning the bag this morning. She has sent me several emails moaning about how she spent so much time taking extra pictures and answering my emails and "this is how she is repaid." She continues to swear that it is authentic.

My one worry now is that I did take the hot glue off the coin purse, so that is now open. It is not the way it was received. Surely she wouldn't be so petty as to say she won't refund me because the bag wasn't given back the way it was received?

It also looks like eBay pulled the listing and I've gotten and email from PayPal about the item. I don't believe I'll be buying bags from eBay anymore.

She doesn't really have any choice but to refund your money since the bag is fake. You may want to go to mypoupette or caroldiva as well and get a letter of inauthenticity from Paypal, since she is still claiming it is authentic. If you go to the ebay subforum here, you can get advice on how to proceed with the return so that you don't get burned.

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience with this. If you do decide that you want to buy off eBay in the future we are always here to authenticate bags for you so that you don't get burned in the future, however, I would not expect to get an authentic bag for under $600 at best (and at that price it would probably be in pretty poor condition). Which is not to say that all bags priced at $600+ are authentic. There are tons of fakes on ebay, and we all have to be careful.

amandagal

Dec 10, 2008
She has offered to refund (I'm guessing when eBay pulled her listing, she knew she was in trouble) and I shipped the bag back yesterday. The shipping was almost $20 because I wanted to make sure it was there within the 7 day return period and I wanted to be sure it had a tracking #. Do you think I can fight her for a shipping refund as well? I'm out $20 and I got NOTHING in return. Very frustrated.