Newbie here, please help me decide.... Èvelyne or Bolide?

yoshikitty

O.G.
Oct 23, 2013
Hello everyone. :smile:
I am very new to the Hermès world.
The things I have are two scarves with teddy bears pattern years ago and a wool blanket.

Hubby would like to get me a bag.
He actually ordered the Èvelyne 29 in Blue Nuit which arrived yesterday.
It looks very good, I like the colour a lot. I am a very casual person who normally wear jeans, I think I will have a lot of use with a cross body bag. Today, hubby said the Bolide 31 could be a better choice because it shows the classic beauty of Hermès. Then it comes the colour - étoupe or gold.
Seeing the photos, I think étoupe looks very nice. But without seeing the colour in person, it's difficult to tell.

Then I have some questions which may sound silly: :shocked:
1) what exactly is that oval shape thing on the upper part of the Bolide? Is there any special meaning?
2) I see a lot of people using twillys to wrap the bag handles. Is it just for decoration or is it to prevent the sweat colouring the handle? Is it really necessary to wrap the handles?

Keep the Evelyne and get the entoupe bolide as well! :graucho: The bleu nuit Evelyne (assuming in GHW) is gorgeous. I have the same one in TPM. Bolide is such a classic and so functional. Regarding the oval shape, I know Hermes do customization on it. Regarding the twilly, I believe that it functions as decoration and to protect the handles from sweat/make up... both gold and etoupe are such classic color. You really can’t go wrong either way. I see Evelyne as an Hermes classic/staple. Let us know what you decide! :yahoo:

There is a interesting history on the bolide bag
The Bolide wasn’t always called Bolide. It was initially named ‘Bugatti,’ after the car. Hermes eventually changed the bag’s name to ‘Bolide,’ in reference to ‘very high speeds.’ The word bolide means ‘a large meteor’ that penetrates the atmosphere at a very high speed and explodes, but it is also used to describe a fast vehicle. It is the first bag from Hermes to integrate an Eclair zipper. Today, the Hermes Bolide remains a classic. It is immediately recognizable for its rounded trapeze shape, rigid base, and quiet elegance. (Source: Le Monde d’Hermes Printemps-Ete 2011)

I have both and the evelyne is my favorite. It’s just so easy to wear. For work though, I love how classy the bolide is. If you’re more casual the evelyne is the way to go.

First off, you have a very thoughtful husband. The bleu nuit evelyne is gorgeous and I would definitely keep that bag. Does it have gold hardware? If so, to me that is a plus. I have had both and ended up selling my Bolide because I just never reached for it. It was a 31cm in black. I currently have two Evelynes, gold and black which I adore. However, if I could find a gold Bolide 35 in clemence leather with gold hardware, I would get it in a heartbeat. Also, I am not into Twillies on handles. I like the clean, pure look of the bag.

Last edited:
I’m the exact opposite of Krawford (no offense please :flowers:). I’ve had Evelynes and re-homed all of them except my Magnolia TPM. I bought a Bleu Nuit 31 Bolide and love it so much, I bought an etoupe. You can get one of those cool special straps to make the Bolide cross body.

The Evelyne in strictly casual. A bolide can be casual, but it also can be a bit dressier, so it’s more versatile. If DH is willing to spring for a Bolide, I say go for it.

A 31 Bolide is one of my favorite everyday bags.

They are such different bags, it’s really a matter of personal preference. I have two Evelynes — one PM and one GM — and they are my most used bags. Blue Nuit is a dream color, IMO — different than black, but dark enough to pass for black in certain light. If you love the Evelyne you have, definitely keep it!

Also, there is a way to double the strap and use a twilly to make the Evelyne into a shoulder bag, in case you ever get tired of carrying it cross-body and want another option.

Re. the Bolide, it’s as classic an Hermes bag as you can get. According to the lore, it’s the first ever handbag created with a zipper. As an aside, my DH actually hates the Bolide — he finds the dome shape to be old-fashioned, as well as the patch on the front (which is there to be embossed with the owner’s initials). This is a big part of why I don’t own one, but that’s neither here nor there. Lots of people love the Bolide, finding it lighter and easier to use than a Birkin or Kelly.

If you’re thinking of a Bolide, try to try one on first. See if the zipper and handles work for you. A Bolide costs almost as much as a Kelly, so it’s a lot to spend on a bag if it doesn’t end up working for you. The resale value of a Bolide is significantly less than that of a B or a K, so you can lose a lot if you decide you don’t like it.

Whether you go for Etoupe or Gold depends on what you love and what your wardrobe is like. Etoupe is a cool tone, Gold is warm. Both are great neutrals.

I love both. You can’t go wrong with at least one Evelyne and blue nuit is gorgeous. As much as I love bolide, I’m trying to justify the price but a gold bolide would be a classic

They're different bags. Evie is an unlined crossbody (usually) messenger bag, very casual, and if you wear the logo out, it's very clearly branded. Bolide is a more formal shape although in a color like etoupe it can be casual - closes with a zip and is lined so better for work stuff. Price point reflects its more complex design. It's the "OG" Hermès bag.
I'd take both if you can!

Thank you so much for all the comments, I really appreciate it. :biggrin:

I decided not to get the bolide because I really do not like the oval patch in the front.
I don't have the problem with its form nor the zipper. Actually when we were in the boutique, my SA
showed me the bolide. At the first sight, I really like it but I just have the problem with the oval patch.

I showed my husband this thread, he read every comments. :smile:
Thanks to catsinthebag :heart: mentioning the price of Bolide is more or less like a Kelly. I know that a K or a B bag
will keep its value. So, my hubby decided to get me a Kelly... Yes, we know that it will not be easy and it will take time but I am in no hurry to get a bag.
I will need to do some homework to see which size, colour and leather I would like my bag. I am sure I will learn a lot
from this forum from all of you.
I will properly return the Èvelyne since I do not need another crossbody bag if I will get a Kelly.
The idea is to get THE BAG.

thanks again for taking your time to answer my questions. :heart::heart::heart:

I decided not to get the bolide because I really do not like the oval patch in the front.
I don't have the problem with its form nor the zipper. Actually when we were in the boutique, my SA
showed me the bolide. At the first sight, I really like it but I just have the problem with the oval patch.

Thanks to catsinthebag :heart: mentioning the price of Bolide is more or less like a Kelly. I know that a K or a B bag
will keep its value. So, my hubby decided to get me a Kelly... Yes, we know that it will not be easy and it will take time but I am in no hurry to get a bag.
I will need to do some homework to see which size, colour and leather I would like my bag. I am sure I will learn a lot
I will properly return the Èvelyne since I do not need another crossbody bag if I will get a Kelly.

Congrats!!! Kelly is on my list to get next!!

I actually am one of the rare ones that don’t like the evelyne... it’s way too casual for me and doesn’t match my style. I needed a mommy throw a round bag and ended up returning the evelyne for a Halzan!

If you want a dressier bag, I’d say Kelly. But if u need something to throw around, check out the Halzan!!!!!!! [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7] I’m so in love

You are returning the Evelyne?

Congrats!!! Kelly is on my list to get next!!

I actually am one of the rare ones that don’t like the evelyne... it’s way too casual for me and doesn’t match my style. I needed a mommy throw a round bag and ended up returning the evelyne for a Halzan!

If you want a dressier bag, I’d say Kelly. But if u need something to throw around, check out the Halzan!!!!!!! [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7] I’m so in love

I think most of us won't throw around a H bag. LOL :biggrin:
I tried the Halzan in the boutique but I don't like it too much to spend that amount for a bag.