New York

likeafeather77 said:
Really? There is no sales tax on clothing or shoes in NYC? Just NYC or all of NY state? Because I live upstate and we have taxes on clothing! I think we still do...haven't gone clothes shopping in a while...

I belive it is in only NYC (Queens,Manhatten,Brooklyn,Staten Island,Bronx).... Upstate pays their own tax...You get free tax if your total in your bill is under $110.

It used to be that any clothing/shoe/bag item under $110 was non-taxable - even if your total was above $110. it was on a per-item basis. Then they brought the tax back for everything - and now they've chaged it again....UGH! I moved away last summer so I don;' know.
CHRISTMAS IN NYC ROCKS! It's the absolute BEST! YOU WILL LOVE IT! I really love the Rockefeller center area at that time of year. it's like a movie....saks is beautifully decorated, the rink is gorgeous, the tree... it's absolutely electric! you must see it!

I just returned from a 4 day theatre/shopping trip with my daughter. As I understand it, there is typically 8 1/2% sales tax on purchases greater that $100. However, you can still avoid paying 8 1/2% if you have items shipped home. Believe me, you still save even after paying shipping if you are buying high dollar items such as handbags etc. I always have my loot shipped home. I LOVE NYC! Have a great trip!

I would go to HI since I live in NYC. To me, xmas is the worst time of the year. Toooooo many people. The traffic is horrible. Everything is nice to look at, but to me HI is a better choice. Their sales tax is cheaper, I think 4%. Plus their LV and other boutiques prices are a little less expensive. If it was up to me wearing a coat or bathing suit, I would choose the later.

It is a very special time to look at the incredible tree at Rockafeller Center and then go across the street to St. Patrick's Cathedral. Tiffany's has beautiful window displays as does Saks with their moving ones. Don't forget to take in the Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall for their winter extravaganza!