Travel New york with a 18month old?

guccikat

O.G.
Aug 2, 2007
We are planning a trip to New York at the end of May for 6 days. It's our first trip to NYC so I am wondering what there is to do when we are travelling with our 18m old DD. we've booked a suite at the Iroquois hotel near Central Park, and just have a few questions:

1. Our hotel rate is $370/night, is that pretty much average for the area? We booked a suite so that when DD sleeps we have a place to watch tv

2. Is our hotel in a good location where there are things to do with DD within walking distance?

3. Do I need to bring her carseat? We won't be renting a car so we will mostly get around by cab or walking and just wondering if NYC cabs will take you if there is no carseat for the child.

We plan to go to the Central Park zoo and just visit the park.. Thinking it will take about 1 full day if we are travelling with DD.
Another day will be spent in Chinatown, financial district, Statue of Liberty
And another full day will be spent at Woodbury commons cuz mommy needs to shop!

That leaves me with 3 days to plan. I don't think we can visit any shows because DD would not be able to sit through it.

Any ideas as to what else we could do? How's the weather during at time of the year?

Thx!

We are planning a trip to New York at the end of May for 6 days. It's our first trip to NYC so I am wondering what there is to do when we are travelling with our 18m old DD. we've booked a suite at the Iroquois hotel near Central Park, and just have a few questions:

1. Our hotel rate is $370/night, is that pretty much average for the area? We booked a suite so that when DD sleeps we have a place to watch tv

2. Is our hotel in a good location where there are things to do with DD within walking distance?

3. Do I need to bring her carseat? We won't be renting a car so we will mostly get around by cab or walking and just wondering if NYC cabs will take you if there is no carseat for the child.

We plan to go to the Central Park zoo and just visit the park.. Thinking it will take about 1 full day if we are travelling with DD.
Another day will be spent in Chinatown, financial district, Statue of Liberty
And another full day will be spent at Woodbury commons cuz mommy needs to shop!

That leaves me with 3 days to plan. I don't think we can visit any shows because DD would not be able to sit through it.

Any ideas as to what else we could do? How's the weather during at time of the year?

Thx!
I'll just chime in on my experiences with our daughter....
1) sounds like below avg. suite cost to me. (We typically travelled for work, so cost of hotel room was subsidized, but we'd pay the upgrades.)

2)central park area is a great location for kids. You will be walking a ton regardless, but it's a great time of the year & use the subway!!!

3) I repeat - use the subway! It's easy with a child and car seats are a pain!
Cabs will take you & it's up to you how you feel about cab travel. I just prefer walking & subway when in NY, unless weather is bad. It's usually faster & easier.
There is so much to do...and I don't know what you're into, but art museums, CP zoo, shopping, eating, you won't be bored!

1. I think that's definitely below average because usually, around May, hotels near Central Park run an upwards of $500/night.

2. You're in a great area for kids. CP is enormous and there's plenty to see. There are a lot of playgrounds inside and the views are gorgeous. FAO Schwarz is nearby. It gets crowded, but a must-see because it's huge.

3. No, you don't need to bring a car seat. Cabs will take you, but it's costly and very time-consuming because the traffic is horrendous in most parts of the city. The trains are simple to navigate and gets you around the city in about 15-30 minutes, tops, depending on where you're going. I usually just walk or take the train because it's much quicker that way.

The weather is pretty nice in NYC towards the end of May. It's spring time and nearly summer, so you won't need to bring a heavy coat. I'd check the forecast before leaving though.

Have fun!!

Your hotel is not near Central Park, it's much closer the Times Square. If you can afford to move closer to CP, I would. I would try something like the Beacon.

Hotels in Manhattan are priced more by date than location. A day either side can make a remarkable difference in price.

Assuming you haven't already done so, I would highly recommend you read and post on the forums at Trip Advisor. There are plenty of people on there who will give you specific info for your situation.

Thx for all the advice :smile:

Yes, we will definitely take it subway, is it easy to access the platform with an umbrella stroller? We won't be out past 9:30pm so I am assuming its pretty safe.

We actually haven't done much research yet ☺. We just saw this hotel had good ratings as booked it because it had free cancellation so we can have some time to look at more choices but also have this just in case.

I will look into others as well thx!!

Just saw the hotel name, must have glimpsed over it when reading before. Yes, your hotel is not near Central Park and is actually in Times Square. But, it's only a 15-20 minute walk and a 10 minute train ride to Central Park so it's still very close. Sorry, I can't give any hotel recommendations as I've never stayed in a hotel in NYC since I live here.

The train is very easy to access with a stroller. You might want to fold it up though when you enter because there are narrow stairs and lots of people coming and going. Times Square is busy practically 24 hours a day, so you'll be perfectly safe. There's lots of police presence. Generally, the trains in NYC are pretty safe. If you want to be extra cautious, ride in either the first car or the middle one, where the conductor is.

oooh, had a different experience with strollers and subways. Not every entrance has an elevator, so most times, ppl helped drag the stroller up and down stairs. My niece had a hard time finding the wheelchair entrance gates. My niece was not happy!

My recommendation is bring an easy/collapsable stroller.

Have fun!

Years ago, a friend recommended a book.. Candy apple, nyc for kids

It was great!! Dito the rec for going on tripadvisor.com .. The new york city forum.. People are really helpful on those forums.