New York Times Article on Expensive Handbag Purchases

I do know someone who will splurge on a bag and go into debt. Stress about putting food on the table and paying the bills isn't for me. Some people just need to resist the temptation and know their limits.

Cristina said:
I think that splurging once a year or so on something that's a little out of your range isn't that bad. Sure, you might have to bring your lunch to work more often or shop the sale racks for a while, but if it's something you really want, go for it. Now, putting yourself into major debt over handbags is a different story. You should pay that big purchase off ASAP. I'm sort of glad that I am getting a new car next month, because then I won't have the money to spend on bags. It will instead be going to the car, and I know I will have a budget to stick to. It gets tricky when you have extra money you should be saving or putting toward something else, and instead you spend it on bags.

i'm in that last situation - i have very few expenses (my parents pay everything related to college and for my car and gas), but i work because i think it's important for me to buy my own nonnecessary things, so i have extra money that doesn't go towards anything but things i want. granted, it's a small amount because it's from a part-time retail job, but it still creates this urge to just spend spend spend when i know that i should spend less and save the money in case of an emergency or for something that i really want. then again, there's like half a dozen bags (pewter balenciaga, ivory paddington, LV trouville, LV mizi, etc) that i'm LUSTING after and i'll crack and impulse buy one eventually.

SuzyZ said:
I don't like the comment about raising the prices because women will pay them - makes me feel foolish -

Don't feel foolish, its not only women, men's items are up there too just look at the price of suv's. I wouldn't think of purchasing a hooked up hummer for myself!

Ack... love my bags, but the treat in this is that it's just that.. .a treat! Once or twice a year, on vacation. My husband gambles when we go t oVegas, I eat, drink, go out & shop! Drinking and shopping usually being done hand in hand! CCbagaholic, you mentioned some of the lesser known companies... who do you recommend?