Travel New York City {NYC} - tips - questions - advice!

Thanks, what great recommendations!

Haha, my attorney & I-banker friends go to Pastis. So yeah, I get you Sonya. Btw. is the rooftop Thompson open to non-guests or non-members? It looked like it wasn't from the website, but perhaps I'm wrong.

I haven't heard of Jeffrey's, so I'll be checking it out.

Sushi Samba looks like fun (I love wild mixes of ingrediants) and BED looks fun too - although I probably couldn't deal with taking my mom there at night! :P Even though she has a friend who met her soon-to-be husband at a similar spot in Miami.

winternight said:
Thanks, what great recommendations!

Haha, my attorney & I-banker friends go to Pastis. So yeah, I get you Sonya. Btw. is the rooftop Thompson open to non-guests or non-members? It looked like it wasn't from the website, but perhaps I'm wrong.

I haven't heard of Jeffrey's, so I'll be checking it out.

Sushi Samba looks like fun (I love wild mixes of ingrediants) and BED looks fun too - although I probably couldn't deal with taking my mom there at night! :P Even though she has a friend who met her soon-to-be husband at a similar spot in Miami.

Yes, technically 60 Thompson is private ... but if you just show up looking gorgeous, they won't stop you. If you want, you can PM me your names and I'll get your names put on the list. :flowers:

I've gone to Pastis in both NY and Miami. It's more of a quick lunch stop for me than a fine sit down establishment. Not so widely popular and "cool" but still nice nonetheless. For the summer I def. recommend hanging outdoors and holding a drink to cool you off from the summer sizzle!

I live really close to NYC, but for some reason, I can't get over the unsanitary subways.

I must admit, I love window-shopping and fishing for a good deal in Century 21. Also, good good japanese food... yumm. :heart:

What's your dislike/love about NYC? Any recommendations for a casual dinner?

Definitely dislike public transportation.

I also dislike the conformity -- pockets of people who all act, look, talk and think the same -- especially in the creative industries: fashion, media, art.

But what I really like are the parties; the people watching during Fashion Week (love the creative art students); dining at all hours, the ease of meeting people, both interesting and not; and the quirky stores.

I love the public transportation! Well, it's not the cleanest, but I love being able to easily get anywhere without having to deal with a car or a cab...also, I love how places are open 24/7, and if you get hungry late at night, you can find food! (everywhere around me in Baltimore closes at 12 or 1AM mostly :sad:). And I love how there's so much to do, and so many people to see!

Dislike? The sketchy guys who comment on you and such when you walk past them...I guess that's true in any city...but I remember that especially from the summer I spent @ Mount Sinai on the Upper East side...walking to work was kinda unfun sometimes... :rant:

I visit often and I have noticed that people in seem to dress alike, even if its on-trend, rather odd for me. I dislike the high rents and the fact that you can no longer work part-time in a bookstore and still be able to afford a small apartment, like when my uncle moved to NYC to be an artist in the 70s.

I love the energy in the streets - the variety of neighborhoods and quirky shops/restaurants. I like how the women dress for themselves, rather than in an overly sexy fashion. I love Central Park and the Upper East Side and well as the Lower East Side for going out at night. I love Barneys and Moma and the Met. I love the Whitney Biennial. Oh I could go on....

sonya said:
I also dislike the conformity -- pockets of people who all act, look, talk and think the same -- especially in the creative industries: fashion, media, art.

But what I really like are the parties; the people watching during Fashion Week (love the creative art students); dining at all hours, the ease of meeting people, both interesting and not; and the quirky stores.

:yes: yes to all of the above.

I'd like to add that i hate the uneven pavement... Love the cobblestone roads and hate walking over them.

I like public transportation, because i hate driving.

I :heart: the fact that at anytime in a 24 hour day, there is always something going on in nyc.

Plain & simple...hate the traffic...Love the scenry, shopping, and dining. Haven't been in awhile but planning on going sometime this year I only live maybe 4 hours aways so a weekend trip could do since I don't have vacation days off of work.:crybaby:

Dislike: traffic and high cost of everything.

Like: the fast pace, energy, overall vibe. The architecture. Central Park. Celebrity sightings. Amazing restaurants and world class shopping. Something to do 24/7!

I love the shopping,culture,and the subway system. I dislike midtown though, its a tourist trap(no offense),its so crowded,and congested!:shame: . I also dislike the NYC traffic!!, the cabs in NYC cant drive to save their lives!:rant: .