Travel New York City {NYC} - tips - questions - advice!

Oh, ^^ reminds me, the Loeb Boathouse restaurant is such a gorgeous setting, right on the lake in Central Park. Then you can rent boats and cruise around the lake after lunch or while you wait (hours without a reservation!).

there is a restaurant outside of NYC called arthurs landing. i think its in weehakin( ?spelling) but it sits on the waterfront and at nite has the most spectacular view of NYC. i went there last year and was so impressed.

I eat out with my 7 yr old all the time and we usually just walk around the West Village and go in anyplace that's not crowded.

I have to admit I love all the "touristy" rests like Nobu, Blue Water Grill, City Crab, Pastis and Jekyll & Hyde. 21 club is also good. For a great view there's the Water Club which is on the river @ the FDR drive.

shoegal said:
Thanks everyone I think we are covered!

Not without going to Rosa Mexicano! Love it! Just watch out for the pomegranate margaritas - I have literally seen ladies carried out of there. I prefer the location in Union Square, but the uptown locations are great too.

Ryan

I'm a big foodie and would be happy to make recommendations, but there are so many that it's hard without some narrowing down. If you're going to be in Soho, you might want to try Aquagrill west on Spring Street--it's an institution and not really that touristy (and yes, it is aqua). Or another place where the locals eat--6th Street in the east Village for cheap Indian--Mitali East and Calcutta are good ones. If you want to go more upscale, any of the Danny Meyers restaurants are good bets. My favorite is Tabla, but most people probably prefer Union Square Cafe and if you want something a little more casual, the downstairs of Tabla is Bread Bar. A really nice Greek restaurant, also local is Periyali on 20th Street. And for nice Portuguese food in the West Village, there's Alfama. Also in the West Village and charming is One If By Land....I've eaten at most of the touristy restaurants in Zabats written in Caps as well and I, as well as most of the people I know who live here, consider many of them overrated and usually disappointing, although I do think March is exquisite. I think you'll get more of a New York experience if you do some of the less touristed/business-meet places. And by the way, I have no qualms about the expression The Big Apple. I'm happy when people want to visit here--instead of dismissing it as a scary place full of criminals and dope fiends (which it isn't). Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about a specific place or can narrow down the cuisine a little.

you have to have pizza if you come to new york! my fav. pizzeria is this place called grimaldis in brooklyn. it's under the brooklyn bridge and it's really yummy. whenever my friends visit me... it's literally the first stop after they get off the plane! it's fairly expensive for pizza.. but it's still affordable!

also, if you want desserts... you should try serendipity (remember frrrrrozen hot chocolate from the movie?) or magnolias bakery. serendipity is overrated IMO but it's still yummy. but if you go there, make sure you make reservations. cupcakes (esp the vanilla ones w/ vanilla frosting) are super yummy from magnolia.

I'm taking my mother and sister to NYC in a month and I'd like to take them out to some nice, if possible somewhat trendy restaurants (not $100 a person but stylish, like I could wear Manolos or Gucci and look in place). We'll probably go to Babbo just because the last time I was in NYC I went there and loved it. Not sure its trendy but the food was fantastic. I'm looking for a few other options as well. Lunch places around the Upper East Side would be great as well because we'll be staying around there.

Is Pastis still a cool place to go? And was it featured in Sex & the City? My sister would love to go if it was (we'll be making a trip to the Magnolia bakery b/c I heard that was in SATC, haha). A friend in NYC claims that Pastis is still trendy, but I thought it wasn't anymore.:shrugs:

Which Prada is the best in NYC? Since I got her a Prada bag my sister is a little Prada addict. I've only been to the store in the Upper East Side, is the Soho store better?

Any plays out that people recommend?

Thanks ladies! I so love NYC!

PRADA -- soho is definitely the place to be

My favs are sushi samba on 7th ave south (very trendy and yummy)--- it's OK priced, i just pay more because of my martinis :smile:)

Upper east side..

Shopping --- cruise by around 73rd and 3rd (i think that's the street), you'll see all the big drop/scoop/searle and their summer sale should be in FULL EFFECT at that time..

If you goto Magnolia... you can go shopping all along bleeker (the marc jacobs store is there) or you can turn around and shop in the meat packing district ( lots of cobblestones, heels are NOT recommended there).

Also if you like the magnolia cupcakes, you can also got buttercup (on 2nd avenue between 50 and 52nd (forgot the exact cross street).. the owner of that shop was one of the original owners of the magnolia bakery.

Cool posh place for brunch is probably BED in NY on the rooftop listening to music and just chillin. I'm going there when my cousins come in two weeks, so i can let you know how that is if you're going to be here later.

That's all the info i have at the top of my head for now :smile:

Prada Soho and 57th Street are great places for Prada. I also like Spice Market but that wasn't on SATC. Sushi Samba is great too and it will be much easier to get into not to mention it's closer to Magnolia.

If you go the Meatpacking District you musty must go to Jeffreys. I love that place. They have all of the newest stuff!

Prada Soho is the best. The 5th Ave location is quite dead.

Pastis is still crowded. My hedge fund friends go there a lot ... so it's probably not as "cool" as it used to be :biggrin: But it's still quite popular and the girls are still gorgeous.

As for BED, I don't know if the food is good, but it's definitely popular right now because of the roofdeck.

Another roofdeck to try is 60 Thompson, especially Sunday afternoons. http://www.60thompson.com/index.php?page=60thom.restaurant